A New Challenge To Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

Several months ago, I challenged Uniden to "step up to the plate", take responsibility for some of the technical issues which have arisen with the 436 and 536 units, and extend the warranty period for these units (the so-called "professional series" of scanners) to three years from the date or purchase. That would have cleared any confusion about what was going to be covered under warranty, particularly with the issues regarding the RTC and the dimming displays. Uniden has thus far not taken up the challenge.

To be clear, I have both the 436 and the 536, and I truly believe that these were the best scanners ever developed. Paul Opitz and Uniden should be commended in that respect, but not in the way that the company has handled the ongoing technical issues or the failure to fully deliver on features that were "hyped" as part of the initial sales promotions.

Today, I have a new challenge for Uniden, one which on its face should be fairly obvious with regard to the continued work which needs to be done to bring the 436 and 536 units to full fruition.

My new challenge to Uniden in this regard is that they do not introduce any new "professional series" scanners until all the issues with the 436 and 536 units have been properly addressed. A major effort should now be made to focus all the technical skills of the company on the full implementation of the SIREN function for both iOS and Android users, including creation of the necessary infrastructure to properly deliver this function. Efforts should also be concentrated on bringing the "Analyze" functions of the 436/536 units up to the same standards and features of the HP-1 and HP-2 units.

In addition, every effort should be made to initiate a registration program for all 436/536 owners so that Uniden can have an orderly implementation of a repair program in place once the company is satisfied that they have the necessary parts available to effect proper, long-lasting solutions.

Yes, there are hundreds of messages on the board calling for Uniden to implement all of the above recommendations. But I am not starting this thread to rekindle or rehash what is already well known, documented and discussed.

This thread is challenging Uniden not to introduce any new or improved "top-of-the-line" (aka professional series) scanners until the 436/536 issues have been fully resolved. That's a pretty tall order for a company like Uniden, whose focus is not just on the development of new equipment, but also on the marketing of that equipment to generate revenue.

The bottom line here is that Uniden should not leave us 436 and 536 owners "in the dust" while bigger and better units get introduced into the marketplace. Take care of the current issues that you face first. Make THAT your priority. And that is my new challenge to Uniden.

Last edited:

srich10

Premium Subscriber
Several months ago, I challenged Uniden to "step up to the plate", take responsibility for some of the technical issues which have arisen with the 436 and 536 units, and extend the warranty period for these units (the so-called "professional series" of scanners) to three years from the date or purchase. That would have cleared any confusion about what was going to be covered under warranty, particularly with the issues regarding the RTC and the dimming displays. Uniden has thus far not taken up the challenge.

To be clear, I have both the 436 and the 536, and I truly believe that these were the best scanners ever developed. Paul Opitz and Uniden should be commended in that respect, but not in the way that the company has handled the ongoing technical issues or the failure to fully deliver on features that were "hyped" as part of the initial sales promotions.

Today, I have a new challenge for Uniden, one which on it's face should be fairly obvious with regard to the continued work which needs to be done to bring the 436 and 536 units to full fruition.

My new challenge to Uniden in this regard is that they do not introduce any new "professional series" scanners until all the issues with the 436 and 536 units have been properly addressed. A major effort should now be made to focus all the technical skills of the company on the full implementation of the SIREN function for both iOS and Android users, including creation of the necessary infrastructure to properly deliver this function. Efforts should also be concentrated on bringing the "Analyze" functions of the 436/536 units up to the same standards and features of the HP-1 and HP-2 units.

In addition, every effort should be made to initiate a registration program for all 436/536 owners so that Uniden can have an orderly implementation of a repair program in place once the company is satisfied that they have the necessary parts available to effect proper, long-lasting solutions.

Yes, there are hundreds of messages on the board calling for Uniden to implement all of the above recommendations. But I am not starting this thread to rekindle or rehash what is already well known, documented and discussed.

This thread is challenging Uniden not to introduce any new or improved "top-of-the-line" (aka professional series) scanners until the 436/536 issues have been fully resolved. That's a pretty tall order for a company like Uniden, whose focus is not just on the development of new equipment, but also on the marketing of that equipment to generate revenue.

The bottom line here is that Uniden should not leave us 436 and 536 owners "in the dust" while bigger and better units get introduced into the marketplace. Take care of the current issues that you face first. Make THAT your priority. And that is my new challenge to Uniden.

Here here! Very good proposition and very well stated.

phillydjdan

The problem is that you just wasted all that time and thought on this post. Uniden does not care, end of story.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
And Whistler answered one of the major gripes in their new models - a real keypad.

mciupa

I tried the BCD536HP and decided that format and the potential for failures were not for me . I luckily owned a unit that never exhibited any problems. I believe I owned the 5th one released.

Now I have the two scanners in my signature and couldn't be happier.

I've moved on and so should you.

I don't know who said this but "Life is too short to listen to s#!tty music"

Be happy. :)

MStep

I tried the BCD536HP and decided that format and the potential for failures were not for me . I luckily owned a unit that never exhibited any problems. I believe I owned the 5th one released.

Now I have the two scanners in my signature and couldn't be happier.

I've moved on and so should you.

I don't know who said this but "Life is too short to listen to s#!tty music"

Be happy. :)

My 436 and 536 were purchased within the last several months and so far all is well. I wanted some of the features, particularly the priority and close-call functions, otherwise I would have opted for the HP-2. I have an HP-1 and have always been very happy with that unit, but with the NJICS system and Phase II becoming so prominent, I had to make the move. I am one who still has faith that Uniden can produce on the x36 series, but they need a little "tickle" once in a while.

Nasby

Today, I have a new challenge for Uniden, one which on its face should be fairly obvious with regard to the continued work which needs to be done to bring the 436 and 536 units to full fruition.

I hope this challege goes over better than your last one.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
A well thought out challenge. I happen to enjoy my 436 and 536 as well. They have hot receivers and the true NFM filters make them sound a hell of a lot better on some of the P25 VHF systems around me. I, too, hope Paul sees this and maybe tries to get Uniden's scanner division to do the right thing

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

LOL....

The new "challenge" is a re-hash of the same subjects that have been posted in the forums over and over again, including the wishes that Uniden concentrate on issues with current production units before putting resources into new units.

Nothing new here.

troymail

Silent Key
Uniden's silence tells the story. Something, anything from them even saying "we're working on it" - at least commit to that... but nothing.

It's one thing to not stand behind your products - it's fully another to not deliver on what was advertised.

wise871

Database Admin
How much do you want to bet that Uniden puts out some type of generic firmware update just before Nov 16 which marks the two year announcement anniversary. But then again, this date will come and go and not a word or fix from Uniden. 2 years and counting is ridiculous for any company, especially a major electronics manufacture like Uniden.

MStep

While we did not get an out-and-out three year warranty in writing, we did get an admission that Uniden is aware of both the RTC and dimming display issues and that they were working on securing the parts to do repairs. My recollection is that Paul did say the RTC problem would be covered under warranty. What was implicit in his request that persons NOT send back their units for repair of the dimming problem at this time, was that this would also be covered under warranty. Two steps forward, one step back--- the story of the x36's.

Last edited:

MStep

I give you credit, you try your best but in the end Uniden doesn't care.

Thanks for your encouragement Dan. I'm doing the best I can to keep these issues in the spotlight--- I hope Uniden does their best to make things right. Some folks may call me foolish, but I still have hope.

MStep

LOL....

The new "challenge" is a re-hash of the same subjects that have been posted in the forums over and over again, including the wishes that Uniden concentrate on issues with current production units before putting resources into new units.

Nothing new here.

I did the best I could fxdscon to come up with a new, more succinct posting to put a little more pressure on Uniden to do the right thing. I truly hope, to borrow a phrase used in political circles, that I did more in my post than just "put lipstick on a pig".

MStep

A well thought out challenge. I happen to enjoy my 436 and 536 as well. They have hot receivers and the true NFM filters make them sound a hell of a lot better on some of the P25 VHF systems around me. I, too, hope Paul sees this and maybe tries to get Uniden's scanner division to do the right thing

Thanks for your comments N2MWE. I think that what is most frustrating to almost all of us who own either the 436, the 536 or both units is that,

a) these units really ARE the best scanners ever produced by any company at any time, in terms of operation, features and functions. If the units were not so well thought out; if they had major "front-end" problems with overloading; if the "priority" and "close-call" features did not work so well, than likely no one would care and we would have all moved on. But everything that is supposed to work does work and works so well that it is a damn shame to see the amount of bad press that these units get simply because Uniden can't get their act together, and

b) that we are SO CLOSE to resolving at least the issues related to features that have not yet been finalized. The WiFi function works great for me, if you are willing to spend $50 for ProScan. And how difficult, after nearly two years, can it be to get the "Analyze" functions up to par with what is offered on the HP-1 and HP-2 units? I realize we are working with different screen formats, but come on Uniden, use a little imagination to get these items up and running. And finally,

c) the hardware issues related to the RTC and dimming displays are basically understood to the point that several of the more advanced technical folks here on the forums have been able to pull apart their units and diagnose these issues. It's not rocket science, as we used to say, it's bulbs and batteries.

So that's the reason, I believe, that there is so much frustration with Uniden. We're seem to be so close, yet so far.

Last edited:

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
The biggest irony here is that the moment Uniden announces the release of it's next generation "professional" scanner you will all be tripping over each other to be the first to buy one.

We are seeing it now with Whistler. No sooner did they get everyone to run out and buy the 1095, shortly after that they announce a version with a keypad, and folks will trip over themselves for that one as well. They know exactly what they are doing.

You will not get Uniden to move in your direction with some posting on a forum asking them to do so....

You get action with your feet as in running away from their products and refusing to buy.

MStep

The biggest irony here is that the moment Uniden announces the release of it's next generation "professional" scanner you will all be tripping over each other to be the first to buy one.

We are seeing it now with Whistler. No sooner did they get everyone to run out and buy the 1095, shortly after that they announce a version with a keypad, and folks will trip over themselves for that one as well. They know exactly what they are doing.

You will not get Uniden to move in your direction with some posting on a forum asking them to do so....

You get action with your feet as in running away from their products and refusing to buy.

I certainly don't expect Uniden to suddenly grow a conscience and put their customers ahead of their profits. But by attempting to "challenge" Uniden to either extending warranties or holding off on the introduction of new units, I'm simply demonstrating that there are alternatives that can be considered in lieu of just leaving these issues, along with us customers, "out to dry".

And you know, someone who has some power with the company, might just pick up on one these posts and consider that one or two of the suggestions might actually be doable.

In terms of folks rushing out to buy the next generation of "professional series" scanners, well that's just human nature. But I can practically guarantee that it won't be anyone who is knowledgeable and has been following these issues on the forums. My feeling is that there is going to be a lot more wait-and-see the next time around.

By the way, I have no personal ax to grind with either Uniden or their representative here, Paul Opitz. I've said time and time again that the x36 units represent the very best in scanners that have ever been produced. I've never met or spoken to Paul Opitz and I have a lot of empathy for a guy who I feel is stuck between the proverbial rock and the hard place.

I just happen to be a consumer-oriented guy who loves the hobby of radio communications and believes that solutions exist to even to most complex of issues to apparently ever face mankind---- bulbs & batteries, to name a few.

kma371

QRT
LOL....

Nothing new here.

Exactly. Hasn't this been beaten to death enough?

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Not for nothing, but someone posted in RR that Uniden is having a lot of financial problems and is firing lots of people. If true, then that may explain at least part of the problem. I may have this incorrectly. Does anyone else remember this?

Status
Not open for further replies.