SDRPlay RSP (Ordered)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Just went to Ham Radio Outlet - New Hampshire And bought the SRDPlay RSP, it's out of stock but wont have to wait too long for it, they said they got 10 pcs in three days ago and they sold out right away. I guess I'm not the only one buying one of these, really look forward to getting back into the HF Band Again, I mostly listen to the Utilities bands, I'll have some time getting the antenna's ready and making up my frequencies lists and downloading software too use with SDRPlay while I wait for the SDRPlay RSP to come in.
Steve

wd9ewk

Just went to Ham Radio Outlet - New Hampshire And bought the SRDPlay RSP, it's out of stock but wont have to wait too long for it, they said they got 10 pcs in three days ago and they sold out right away. I guess I'm not the only one buying one of these, really look forward to getting back into the HF Band Again, I mostly listen to the Utilities bands, I'll have some time getting the antenna's ready and making up my frequencies lists and downloading software too use with SDRPlay while I wait for the SDRPlay RSP to come in.

The Phoenix HRO store had about 15 in the display cabinet two weekends ago. Last weekend, nothing - except for the demo model hooked up to a PC running HDSDR. They were sold out. The HRO web site shows all stores are out of them right now. If stores have been getting additional inventory, they aren't sticking around for long. A good thing, unless you're trying to get one...

Good luck!

SCPD

QRT
SAINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy cow. Look who came out of the woodwork. Hope all is well. Join the FB group. Lots and lots of good info.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

SAINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy cow. Look who came out of the woodwork. Hope all is well. Join the FB group. Lots and lots of good info.

:) Yea it's time to get back into the HF bands, just searching and saving the HF web sites again and getting a new frequency list together, I have two older PC to use SDRPlay RSP on and I will be buying a new computer before Christmas so I will be able to get all the bells a whistles working in SDRPlay RSP. I will take a look at the FB Group for sure.
Thanks
Steve

Boatanchor

Considering what is on the PCB, inside that black plastic case (very little actually), the RSP is an amazing piece of kit. Take the four screws out and have a look inside. Then be amazed at what a couple of tiny SMD chips can do when connected to an antenna :)

Really, we are now just waiting on chip manufacturers to produce tuner chips with even greater dynamic range and bandwidth to catch up with consumer demand. I don't think it will be long before we see even greater dynamic range and sampling rates in low cost front end tuner chips.

Have fun. I know I am :)

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info

I did have at one time a Funcube+ also had two R75 receivers and had a lot of fun with them. I live in a six story building on the 4th floor facing North and was using a Discone antenna and also my second antenna was A peace of wire strung around my balcony and had real good results, not the best set up for antenna's but both of the antenna's were outside and made a lot of difference. It will be interesting to see how the SDRPlay works with these antenna's, I have no real issue's with noise coming from the Apartment building so that's a plus for me. Would like to get a LOOP antenna to put out on the 4th floor balcony I think under my circumstances this would be the best antenna for me, I'll have to look into this and see if I can find a store that sells them and ship's them to Canada, but I will wait and see how the SDRPlay works for me. Hopefully I will see the SDRPlay next week sometime.
Steve

Saint

Premium Subscriber
CSV List

Saint: You can grab my master HDSDR freq list which is very up to date.
http://mikeladd.homelinux.com/user.csv

Good to see you back...

Thanks for the great List, great frequencies. After reading your post it reminded me I forgot to download HDSDR software, I'll get HSDR Software ready also. It's nice to have the time to do all of this ahead of time so I will be ready for the SDRPlay. Thanks for the help.

Steve

HopperD

Premium Subscriber
I'm kicking myself everyday for not buying one a few weeks ago when my local HRO had them in stock. I said to myself "I will buy one next week." Well now they're totally out. I called and they said they are flying off the shelf and might be til the end of the month before they'll get some more in.

But I placed an order or back order anyway and will be guaranteed to get one when they arrive.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Back order

I'm kicking myself everyday for not buying one a few weeks ago when my local HRO had them in stock. I said to myself "I will buy one next week." Well now they're totally out. I called and they said they are flying off the shelf and might be til the end of the month before they'll get some more in.

But I placed an order or back order anyway and will be guaranteed to get one when they arrive.

That's what happened to me so we have something in common, I went to Ham Radio Outlet and just at the last minute I changed my mind and did not order until a few days later and they sold out. were going to have to wait but I am getting everything ready so I will be up and running when SDRPlay come in, It's nice to see so many people buying these, were not going to be alone learning all the things.
Steve

SCPD

QRT
No worries. I would strongly suggest you download all critical windows updates now so you dont have any issues with you get your unit. The mirics driver likes everything current and up to date. You will also need the ext io DLL for HDSDR. If you need me for anything just shoot me a msg or an email.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Updates

No worries. I would strongly suggest you download all critical windows updates now so you dont have any issues with you get your unit. The mirics driver likes everything current and up to date. You will also need the ext io DLL for HDSDR. If you need me for anything just shoot me a msg or an email.

Yep, I have Windows 10 Updates automatically and I will wait till I get the SDRPlay to update the ext io Dll, just downloaded HDSDR.
Steve

Saint

Premium Subscriber
In Stock

I see that the 4 stores in California have the SDRPlay back in stock so I hope the NH store will get them soon.
Steve

wd9ewk

I see that the 4 stores in California have the SDRPlay back in stock so I hope the NH store will get them soon.

SDRplay tweeted on Tuesday that more RSPs were shipped to HRO on Monday:

https://twitter.com/SDRPlay/status/651360574501224448

With the California stores receiving their inventories first, it is possible that the other stores are being supplied from the HRO home office, and not directly from SDRplay. But at least some stores have them in stock, without having to wait until the end of this month.

Good luck!

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Stock

SDRplay tweeted on Tuesday that more RSPs were shipped to HRO on Monday:

https://twitter.com/SDRPlay/status/651360574501224448

With the California stores receiving their inventories first, it is possible that the other stores are being supplied from the HRO home office, and not directly from SDRplay. But at least some stores have them in stock, without having to wait until the end of this month.

Good luck!

You could be right about.... (it is possible that the other stores are being supplied from the HRO home office) anyway thanks for the info
I think we will get some good news soon now.
Steve

HopperD

Premium Subscriber
I finally got my SDRPlay from the local HRO and already have a problem. I thought the antenna connector was the regular size coaxial connector but it's smaller. The person at the store didn't mention anything about this, otherwise I would have gotten one then and there.

Anyone know what kind of adapter to get, where and the part number? Hopefully Radio Shack will have it, HRO is closed on Sundays.

wd9ewk

I finally got my SDRPlay from the local HRO and already have a problem. I thought the antenna connector was the regular size coaxial connector but it's smaller. The person at the store didn't mention anything about this, otherwise I would have gotten one then and there.

Anyone know what kind of adapter to get, where and the part number? Hopefully Radio Shack will have it, HRO is closed on Sundays.

The SDRplay has a female SMA connector for the antenna port. RadioShack's web site appears to have some options to help you out, but most of them are only sold online. If your location (Los Angeles) is correct, are you near a Fry's Electronics store? Those stores stock a bunch of RF adapters, and should have a few with a a male SMA connector on one end - what you're looking for.

Good luck!

br0adband

I believe the RSP has been shipping for about 1.5 months now with the SMA female connector as noted in this post at the SDRplay forums:

http://www.sdrplay.com/community/vi...3a560ab526da3ceff3ece7f15cbe666&start=20#p894

As far as Radio Shack is concerned, pretty sure they went out of business earlier this year but, if you're lucky enough to live in some area that had a privately owned franchise or just sold Radio Shack hardware you might find what you're looking for.

And yep, Fry's has several locations in the L.A. vicinity and they most certainly stock tons of RF adapters and connectors - that's basically my only option now here in Las Vegas save for the AES store (and of course they cost much more than Fry's does for the same type of components).

Last edited:

HopperD

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your response WD9EWK. I'll check RS first thing tomorrow and if they don't have it there's a Fry's not far from me.
I forgot about Fry's, they have just about everything related to antennas and electronics.

br0adband there's a RS just down the street from me so hopefully they will have it. I've been scanning a long time and have just about every type of adapter except the SMA. Never had a need for one.

WyoDuner

I order all this stuff from Amazon. I am a Prime member and that helps but even if I weren't lots of items and good prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.