CHP Analog Extender (154.905) gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Progline

Premium Subscriber
I've not heard a peep on the old VHF Extender Channel for at least a month here, and same for a quick overnight trip to Fresno - nothing heard in the Central Valley. ZILCH. Have they completed the changeover to 700Mc P25? And, can we now remove 154.905 from our scanners?

kma371

QRT
Well, where is "here" since you don't have a location listed :)

To my knowledge, it is still used only in some parts of the state.

ChrisE_STB

CA Database Admin
Database Admin
I was on the 405 near LAX yesterday and saw 2 motor units with the old VHF HT1000 radios.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber

For most of the state, yes not in use. But it certainly breaks squelch from time to time in some locations.

avdrummerboy

Here in SoCal it's still pretty active, was down San Diego way and heard a bunch of traffic on it. Once in a while in the South Desert areas (Joshua Tree, etc.) you'll hear it too.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I understand they are moving away from using this in favor of 700MHz.
For years all our officers have had this frequency programmed into portables/mobiles and simply called "CHP Extender". Doubt it ever got used, but it's been in the standard load for many years.

It'd be nice if CHP would keep this as an available channel for interoperability sake. Most of the CHP vehicles I've seen retain a VHF High band radio of some sort. Considering it's licensed statewide, it's got some value.

f40ph

Feed Provider
It'd be nice if CHP would keep this as an available channel for interoperability sake. Most of the CHP vehicles I've seen retain a VHF High band radio of some sort. Considering it's licensed statewide, it's got some value.

I also hope they will maintain it for interoperability.

They will always have a VHF antenna on the vehicles because the in-vehicle repeater has VHF capabilities. The officer's radios have CALCORD CALAW1,2 (formerly CLEMARS) etc.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I also hope they will maintain it for interoperability.

They will always have a VHF antenna on the vehicles because the in-vehicle repeater has VHF capabilities. The officer's radios have CALCORD CALAW1,2 (formerly CLEMARS) etc.

Yeah, the VHF extenders do. I seem to remember seeing them using HT1000's here up until a year or so ago. Now it's 700/800MHz EF Johnson 5100's.

carlt

I can confirm that it is still in use in San Diego. The other day, I was in the area of SR52 & I15, but did not see the vehicle to be able to tell if it was an old sedan or new PPV.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
I've not heard a peep on the old VHF Extender Channel for at least a month here, and same for a quick overnight trip to Fresno - nothing heard in the Central Valley. ZILCH. Have they completed the changeover to 700Mc P25? And, can we now remove 154.905 from our scanners?

I think it's dead down here in the Fresno area. I've set my scanner to hunt for one of their PL tones and haven't heard a peep, even when I drive past (or am pulled over by) CHP.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Maybe. I don't see many crown vics anymore though. Maybe 2-3 times a year now. I think they've been relegated to backup/spare vehicles now.

uman18

A week ago, I did pick up traffic on the old extender in Oxnard, Ventura County. i was near the 101 Freeway and Vineyard Ave.

I left that frequency programed on my scanner and it was the first time I picked up any traffic in months on the VHF extender.

I didn't see the patrol car, but there is still several Crown Vics in service in the area.

f40ph

Feed Provider
It's kinda funny that some expert on this forum said they'd have to get rid of them all when narrowbanding happened in 2011.

Still going strong (and reprogrammed to narrow).

SCPD

QRT
It's kinda funny that some expert on this forum said they'd have to get rid of them all when narrowbanding happened in 2011.

Still going strong (and reprogrammed to narrow).

The ht1000 DN, BN was capable of narrow band. AN wasn't and the CN was a shot of 50/50 depending on its date. You see ht1000s in use to date in some places, allot in the mobile extender community for highway patrols in the southwest.

rooivalk

GG Division is 700MHZ, and APX handhelds. All of the Explorers are 700MHZ, and the Chargers will be, also, as CHP has dumped the Explorer as a patrol vehicle.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
GG Division is 700MHZ, and APX handhelds. All of the Explorers are 700MHZ, and the Chargers will be, also, as CHP has dumped the Explorer as a patrol vehicle.

Not quite. There are still plenty out there. I'm a truck driver and I see about 5-10 a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.