Stubbed Wiki Articles: Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDP2012

Thank you for your interest in Ontario's portion of Radio Reference's Wiki. During larger Wiki updates, sometimes individual Wiki-page development begins with a stub-page with the intent of developing the page later. Sometimes those stub-pages get forgotten. The Wiki has several hundred stub-pages; most were created in 2009. Only 7 stub-pages relate to Ontario.

This thread is an invitation to help develop the forgotten Ontario stub-pages. Otherwise, they are likely to be blanked and added to the list of pages ready for deletion by the Wiki Admins.

If you have questions or want help editing the Wiki, please ask here or in the Wiki forum.

Thank you for your interest and efforts to improve the Wiki.

Stub-Articles in Ontario..

Thanks,

Last edited:

mciupa

Thank you for your interest in Ontario's portion of Radio Reference's Wiki. During larger Wiki updates, sometimes individual Wiki-page development begins with a stub-page with the intent of developing the page later. Sometimes those stub-pages get forgotten. The Wiki has several hundred stub-pages; most were created in 2009. Only 7 stub-pages relate to Ontario.

This thread is an invitation to help develop the forgotten Ontario stub-pages. Otherwise, they are likely to be blanked and added to the list of pages ready for deletion by the Wiki Admins.

If you have questions or want help editing the Wiki, please ask here or in the Wiki forum.

Thank you for your interest and efforts to improve the Wiki.

Stub-Articles in Ontario..

Thanks,

I will suggest that Kenora, Manitoulin, Parry Sound, Rainy River stubs have the word District added between the proper name and County. They truly are Districts and not Counties.

When Lindsay created the database, he made the distinction of counties within states and provinces. Everywhere in the database that political division is called County, except for in Louisiana where I have seen Parish used instead of County.

Here in Ontario, we have different designations. Larger urban areas are called Regions. The rural areas are Counties. The near North and further Northern areas of Ontario are Districts.

A couple of years ago I asked Lindsay if he could modify the northern "County" areas to display as "Districts" on the Database Home Page for Ontario.

Prince Edward County should stay as perhaps a member living there may want to add some information.

The OPP Detachments Map should definitely stay. I wonder if it was removed by someone or does it exist within another OPP related page?

QDP2012

...The OPP Detachments Map should definitely stay. I wonder if it was removed by someone or does it exist within another OPP related page?

The only thing on the page was a linked file that was either empty or corrupt, and not being rendered correctly, so I dropped the file-link from the article as a dead-link. I don't know why the file was corrupt, though. Someone else will need to investigate and/or resolve that.

Last edited:

QDP2012

I will suggest that Kenora, Manitoulin, Parry Sound, Rainy River stubs have the word District added between the proper name and County. They truly are Districts and not Counties.

That sounds like a decision for W9BU and Mr. Blanton.

Generally, for both uniformity and ease of maintenance, I try to make sure that names of county/city/province Wiki pages match the "Wiki" button's link on the corresponding DB-page, unless there is a very obvious reason to make an exception. What you describe makes sense, but I would guess that it might be better to have the system-name changed in the DB first, and then make the corresponding update to the Wiki-page name. -- just one opinion

Thanks for the reply,

mciupa

That sounds like a decision for W9BU and Mr. Blanton.

I would guess that it might be better to have the system-name changed in the DB first, and then make the corresponding update to the Wiki-page name. -- just one opinion

Thanks for the reply,

You are welcome.

I have done earlier as you suggested, please see our Ontario Database menu and take note of the entries that have District in their "County" title.

Ontario Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

QDP2012

Thanks

I have done earlier as you suggested, please see our Ontario Database menu and take note of the entries that have District in their "County" title.

Thanks for pointing out the system-name changes in the DB. Sorry I missed those changes during all of the earlier Wiki-updates. Hopefully, the related Wiki pages weren't dangling out there by themselves for very long with the wrong names.

The Wiki pages matching the "...District County" DB pages are now correctly named in the Wiki, so that they match the "Wiki" button's link on the related DB pages.

The list of stub-pages in the first-post above has been updated accordingly and is as follows:

Thanks again,

Status
Not open for further replies.