Airspy SDR upgraded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boatanchor

Taken from the SDRSharp/Airspy Yahoo group:

We have sensitive ears! The demand for ever cheaper, higher performance and ruggedized SDR receivers is driving the professional market. Due to the large demand from our professional customers, we upgraded recently our original Airspy One design to Revision 2. This new revision improves the following points:

Better USB noise immunity
Better ESD protection on the RF input
Added ESD protection on the dual High Speed ADC inputs
Better RF Shielding
Better RF Filtering
Replaced the USB connector with a custom designed, more robust, 4 through hole points model
Better thermal stability
Better compatibility with the SpyVerter

The old revision is no longer produced, and all new shipments will be based on the R2. We are eager to get your feedback about these improvements!

The Airspy Team

Yagi23

Well, that's good to hear!

I guess this is also a tacit acknowledgement that there was indeed a problem with issues such as ESD and the mechanical ruggedness of the USB connector, which previously they had blamed upon misuse and mishandling by the user.

I wonder whether they will take a more 'customer friendly' approach now to people with an Airspy One if the USB connector falls off? Still it's good to see they are listening and learning.

br0adband

I don't get the "Contact us for more details" thing, really. I'm guessing they're using that as a way to gauge interest in this revised hardware base or something - not just posting the info directly (whatever other info their is) and pics of the board or assembly or anything really is somewhat odd.

I'm not the only one that thinks this is a bit... odd... am I? :D

ronenp

I will be more than thank-full to the one that wil have this model and will give us some info specially on the USB noise problem and the ability to use this device with internal antenna attached to it directly and getting reasonable sensitivity
Regards
Ronen - 4Z4ZQ
Ronen Pinchooks (4Z4ZQ) WebSite

slicerwizard

I'm not expecting to see a lot of improvement in the scanning bands (VHF-Hi to 900), but it'll be interesting to see some independent A/B reports.

I suspect that many of us are looking for a bigger improvement (16 bit or more ADC, perhaps?) at a reasonable price, but I guess that's limited to what affordable ICs are already out there. Can't expect the guys to design and fab their own chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.