• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Chiefs car build

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYChief

Need some input/recommendations for my new build,

Dept is getting me a 05 Trailblazer (I know not the easiest install platform) I have no issues doing the install work but need some guidance on the radio equipment and recommendations on equipment. Gonna be our second Trailblazer but the first was purchased from another Dept already upfitted. Gonna use a Havis console looking to have the following equipment.
UHF (probably a CDM series) for our operations
VHF (again CDM) for mutual aid depts
Scanner
Cellular booster
Mobile Wifi

Need some input for antenna layout will be NMO mounts only obstacle will be the Whelen LED lightbar. I know the WeCan can get weird if the antennas are to close. Cell booster is more than likely be a Wilson unit. Wifi is for tablet use running PCR's and I am Responding app.

How would you run the antenna layout ? centered on the vehicle with UHF-VHF-Cell-Wifi even spacing given the roof line distance or space the UHF/VHF a specific distance then cell/wifi another distance ?

sfd119

NYChief, I would recommend you check out elightbars.org. They have quite a bit of "install' information over there.

RADIOGUY2002

LIGHTBARS

Save your department some money, go with speed tech lighting. Is this just your car, or is it to be utilize as a command car. If utilize as command car you might want to consider your antenna placement wisely. if just to be used as a everyday car then its a whole different discussion. Not sure the primary functions of the vehicle or the budget or whats in your fleet pool. Traditionally uhf should be near the front and vhf towards the back, ideally 6 to 12 inches apart. The better the separation the better ability to reduce interface between the two, in the rare case you talking on both. Most command vehicles here, usually have a series of vhf antenna towards the back with minimal separation, ideally for main operations (unit to dispatch), secondary mutual aid channel, third the fire ground. Based on my understanding of your post operation is on uhf, so I assume fire ground is on uhf as well. Not really sure who or what vendor you favor when it comes to radios but cdm take up lots of space, what if you went to a narrow format. tk8180's operate in both mdc1200 and fleetsync and might give you more space. their feature rich like the cdm series. Scanner, should go with the latest and greatest if allowable in your budget, a simple vhf antenna with work well if you want to cheap it out, if your state system is 700/800 consider leaning towards in antenna dedicated for that. Cell and wifi should be towards the back, their are companies that make dual band wifi/cell antennas

Police LED Lights, Emergency & Warning Light Bars | STL

http://www.sti-co.com/antenna-products/low-profile-antennas/radome , not cheap

Last edited:

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Uhhh...Speed Tech Lights are not good lights.

Yeah I'm with you on that one. I know a few years ago they were terrible. I can't speak for today's models. That's the one brand I steer everyone away from.

SCPD

QRT
Don't forget to secure the wifi. You'd be surprised who wpuld attempt to connect to it. Is the wifi setup going through a mdt or setup by itself itself?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I know he didn't directly link to them but since he did link to another model on the StiCo site, I will say I would not recommend the Sti-Co Flexi whip antennas...I had one and it is so flexible that at highway speeds the lay over affected the range (and in another thread someone else said the same thing). Unless absolutely necessary to have one that flexible, go with a more rigid antenna that will remain straight even when moving down the road, especially responding to a call at higher speeds. Obviously the Radomes don't have this issue but just in case you get to looking around on their site...

I cannot speak to their other models but the Flexi Whip (cut to VHF length, at least) didn't yield good results for me.

You're going to NEED isolation between inside and outside antennas of the cellphone booster.

You're going to WANT isolation between the scanner antenna and any antenna which is used for transmitting.

What kind of WiFi setup are you planning to install?

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Caution about cell boosters: I once worked on a project to install one in an RV being used as a mobile medical clinic.

They got too close to cell towers a couple of times and shut down the cell towers.

They eventually got a cease and desist order from the FCC.

Yes, the cell techs DID track down the problem vehicle that was wiping out the entire cell site.

But it worked as intended when in areas with poor signal strength.

Up close to the towers in a high signal strength situation, it was absolutely a disaster.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
You're going to NEED isolation between inside and outside antennas of the cellphone booster.

You WILL require an amplifier that has AGC. This is over and above the need for isolation between the outside and snide antennas.This will prevent the amplifier from wiping out the cell site. Look for a 'wireless' amp, NOT a direct connect amplifier.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Caution about cell boosters: I once worked on a project to install one in an RV being used as a mobile medical clinic.

They got too close to cell towers a couple of times and shut down the cell towers.

They eventually got a cease and desist order from the FCC.

Yes, the cell techs DID track down the problem vehicle that was wiping out the entire cell site.

But it worked as intended when in areas with poor signal strength.

Up close to the towers in a high signal strength situation, it was absolutely a disaster.

The Wilson signal boosters (now WeBoost) are extremely popular nationwide and I've never heard of an issue. Not sure what kind of booster this RV had in it but I've never heard of such happening. I have a Wilson booster in my vehicle and have had neither any complaints or problems.

No, I'm not saying what you shared didn't happen, it just sounds like a rare case and possibly something wrong with the tower that caused the problem as well.

RADIOGUY2002

I never said anything about the flex whip, my personnel preference is maxard etc. Radome is what I would push for him. I think Whelan is over rated and cost way to much for what you get. The stl I have seen and played with Do just find. I have no loyalaties to them, but feel that name brand sometimes is highly overrated. Depends on where their budget is, what they have left over, what their using from previous cars, etc.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I would not recommend Speedtech for any kind of public safety application on an emergency vehicle.You get what you pay for. Horrible product and worse customer support. I use sti-co flexi whips on my personal vehicle and never had an issue and that is traveling 40+ miles at 70mph on highways 3-4 times a week.

sfd119

I would not recommend Speedtech for any kind of public safety application on an emergency vehicle.You get what you pay for. Horrible product and worse customer support.

+1

I cannot speak this enough. DO NOT USE THEM.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I would not recommend Speedtech for any kind of public safety application on an emergency vehicle.You get what you pay for. Horrible product and worse customer support. I use sti-co flexi whips on my personal vehicle and never had an issue and that is traveling 40+ miles at 70mph on highways 3-4 times a week.
Could not agree more!

If anyone doesn't understand this, go over to elightbars.org and read up about STL there. That's where all the professional upfitters hang out. Their opinion of STL should be enough to convince anyone that it would be a major mistake to install STL in a vehicle like a fire chief's unit.

FWIW, if anybody wants to use STL in your own POV, be my guest. Just don't ever say that those who know did not give fair warning.

NYChief

Lighting will be all Whelen other then Feniex Cannons for the hideaways. no reused parts from older cars as we dont have any (Sandy) I am a member at ELB and no concerns installing lights or any other equipment (many years of doing such at a professional level). While I have installed many a radio in years past I have never really done a multi radio/multi antenna setup hence the guidance from you guys.

Car will be my response vehicle and command post, radio choice at this time will most likely be CDM1250's as we already have them. We operate on UHF both repeater and direct. For VHF our neighboring Dept and most other city volunteers are currently on VHF so will need for mutual aide op's.

Cell booster I'm looking at a Wilson unit I know little about them at this time, planned on the antenna layout now and instaling the NMO mounts for this and the Wifi so I only have to drop the headliner once.
Wifi may be as simple as a Verizon Mifi with a external antenna I'm waiting on specs as there in the works from the Regional EMS council as it is part of a grant to get us on electronic PCR's which will be running on Dell 10" tablets.

Com-Tech51H8

bureaucratic absence of presence.
Premium Subscriber
this is what i recommend weBoost - Drive 4G-M mobile vehicle booster. its made by wilson electronics includes DC Power Adapter/ 4 inch Mini Magnet Mount Antenna with SMA-Male Connector & 10' Coax Cable/ Inside Low-Profile Antenna. this unit can be mounted pretty much anywhere in the suv and its a fast setup/ install. havent had a single complaint since installed.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
this is what i recommend weBoost - Drive 4G-M mobile vehicle booster. its made by wilson electronics includes DC Power Adapter/ 4 inch Mini Magnet Mount Antenna with SMA-Male Connector & 10' Coax Cable/ Inside Low-Profile Antenna. this unit can be mounted pretty much anywhere in the suv and its a fast setup/ install. havent had a single complaint since installed.

Yes, what I mentioned previously. Except I would get their nmo antenna to use and not the wee little mag mount one it comes with.

NYChief

Did this quick paint drawing of roof layout, how it look to you guys need some guidance on spacing between antennas so I don't damage any of the radios. UFH/Scanner/VHF will follow the vehicle centerline, cell/wifi will be on 1/3 of width.

nBIzlMJItkCOKnkdKFhE6abi2nI5hYi8P-QC75cSJJIJe49WiYq9s7UNxCAmxlXS-je7-07cK-mVdwl4lG3EWKtyuKIV7al3LjJizv-kTeeceWn1kvjUyPu8ASbugPwWjWP6PZQsgLlqUpgDQf0vb3ZpsoFLzDJMhR0bariMlarto3hGrIU1LMoF6_MyChK4mFQzTgP9Bdz99EAAjjYkPbT2UkUY7WOntVElkxrdjOOagKPkaUuhoR3OwNC7RrT1hlQwqpAgugQdhAI8-jgiMJtkMpa4biO_U6K9PmMFHPA3CZAQHvzXsXlaTCo6zw4ix3KIv1L4J9z5nOeP4LMiMUGf0k8ifc4iGcrxB9h9vH8yBCrsiuEE_tJ92tMcfuERxFGIpQ2z8FiqocY9hUtlQMsg7-Pe7lm_6cq-pdUhiD-Mxh8v-HVGfpD8KTsKBqo5o-xgFR7kIgb-8dtq94A4_-hae3VXz9ERbKpwzfudyNYKJz1pl-t5zRrfsYwxRxp14mqyVRRm7qEOMo0HmqgAN6oGOQLesfhv_2ZHt-39pwQ=w1349-h477-no

Status
Not open for further replies.