• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 SEL / DEL / RCL issue when turning scan off

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajscanner

Hey have a new issue that has started happening when i press a set button to turn off scan i get SEL DEL RCL on the screen as well as a flashing square in top right corner.
Does this sound like a software issue that an update would fix? It's currently running R10

Could this be related to the radio battery going flat in an XTVA and power cutting in and out. That problem is now fixed i hope.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
The flashing square indicates that you're in programming mode, for programming scan list information or some other user programmable feature.

The button you're pushing may be programmed to the PROGRAM feature, which would account for the described behavior.

It sounds like normal behavior if that button is programmed to activate the scan list programming feature.

ajscanner

hey thanks i forgot to mention that there is no user programing options programed into the radio and the only button is set to turn scan on or off.
In the menu items there is only channel, zone, battery and clock

I have to press the home button to exit that mode sometimes i have to do this 3-4 times before i can turn scan off

SCPD

QRT
Did you add the sel rcl and del to the menu under the display menu items (if a model 2 or 3)? Try adding those though having a scan list program it should automatically show these in the scan list program. Typically I like to run either the ABC switch for scan and scan program list with A being scan B blank and C scan list program and a side button for select. Or the ABC for direct TA, repeater etc. Do you use ABC for anything? I would do a legit firmware update. 10 is ancient. It's above 20 now.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Elroy has given you the correct answer. A quick press of the Scan button should not put the radio into scan programming mode unless you've specifically programmed the button as "Scan Program".

You cannot add sel, rcl and del buttons as Ptolemy suggests.

hitechRadio

Hey have a new issue that has started happening when i press a set button to turn off scan i get SEL DEL RCL on the screen as well as a flashing square in top right corner.
Does this sound like a software issue that an update would fix? It's currently running R10

Could this be related to the radio battery going flat in an XTVA and power cutting in and out. That problem is now fixed i hope.

"A new issue that started happening" Sounds as if the button has an issue.
Short press=Scan
Long Press=Scan Program

The time it takes for a long press to be considered is programmable.

Change Scan activation to a different button, it may be just that one button giving problems.
I would add PROG to your menu list. (Which I think is what ptolemy9200 was actually getting at). And lengthen the Long Press timing, and see if that works, if you do not want to change the scan to a different button. Or replace the case.

Last edited:

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Or replace the case.

If you're gonna go the hands-on route, IF IT IS a hardware issue, buying a replacement keypad flex is pretty cheap and is likely the problem rather than the hard plastic case (and even more likely that the flex connector is partially unseated, the XTS is famous for that).

However, I maintain as agreed above that it is most likely a programming issue. I recommend you verify your long-press duration isn't too short in the codeplug, and verify you have your buttons programmed correctly. Switch menu items around as well if you want to test the possibility of a bad flex, put other things on that button that use short and long for different things. Verify your programmed item is actually the Scan enable/disable and not the Scanlist item, and play around with the short and long press durations if that's okay. I program everything that comes across my bench with 0ms short (instant) and 1000ms long (full second), and that seems to go over well with everybody.

hitechRadio

If you're gonna go the hands-on route, IF IT IS a hardware issue, buying a replacement keypad flex is pretty cheap and is likely the problem rather than the hard plastic case (and even more likely that the flex connector is partially unseated, the XTS is famous for that).

I believe he said it was XTS5000, in which case I believe one of the button contacts (popple I think) to be bad/intermittent on the side of the radio. In which case he will have to replace the case. As the 5000 uses a connector from the flex to the buttons built into the side case.

If it was a XTS3000 he could replace the flex in the housing, as you suggested. (If I assume by keyboard flex, you mean housing flex.)

But it always a good idea when having issues to double check your flex connectors.

An easy test,,The Op could test the buttons by entering service mode and checking the button/s for an intermittent operation.

Just in case the OP is not sure how to enter service mode.,
You can enter the test mode by powering up the radio and then pushing the 2 dimpled side button 5 or more times quickly. (hopefully this is not your intermittent scan button)The radio will display service, hit the purple button until you see CH TEST then hit the top orange/emergency button to enter the button test mode.

The 3 side buttons are from purple button down should be 96, 97 and 98 with a /0 or /1 next to it.

/0=off and /1=on.

If you see for example 97/1 being displayed intermittently for longer than your programed long press time typically 1sec or longer, there's your problem.

Last edited:

ajscanner

Thanks for all the replies and sorry its taken so long to reply back. I have also changed the housing over and got the same issue. also I set one of the side buttons to scan as well as the top orange and the get the same this makes me thing its software/firmware.

I did the service mode test and all seems normal as soon as i press or let go
Orange 3/0 off - 3/1 on
Purple 97/0 off - 97/1 on
Single dot 96/0 off - 96/1 on
Double dot 98/0 off - 98/1 on

Short keypress time 50ms
Long keypress time 250ms

And the only menu options i have programmed is Chan / Zone / Batt / Clck

And unfortunately living in australia it is very difficult getting a firmware or support for a 5000. I may have to do it myself and just do a flashzap and hope it doesn't screw anything. I did want the 1,2,3 channel pre-set

hitechRadio

Thanks for all the replies and sorry its taken so long to reply back. I have also changed the housing over and got the same issue. also I set one of the side buttons to scan as well as the top orange and the get the same this makes me thing its software/firmware.

I did the service mode test and all seems normal as soon as i press or let go
Orange 3/0 off - 3/1 on
Purple 97/0 off - 97/1 on
Single dot 96/0 off - 96/1 on
Double dot 98/0 off - 98/1 on

Short keypress time 50ms
Long keypress time 250ms

And the only menu options i have programmed is Chan / Zone / Batt / Clck

And unfortunately living in australia it is very difficult getting a firmware or support for a 5000. I may have to do it myself and just do a flashzap and hope it doesn't screw anything. I did want the 1,2,3 channel pre-set

And just FYI, in this case it has nothing to do with Firmware. Your timing 250ms is to short.

Status
Not open for further replies.