Lost sound through speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussiecoachdriver

Premium Subscriber
Got home tonight to find out grandchildren had touched the scanner. No sound through speaker but when you plug in headset you can hear. Any thoughts out there. Still new to this thing

teufler

sometimes the radio speaker jack sticks in the position that it opens too when a speaker is plugged into the radio. Take a speaker plug and push the plugs back and foirth in the socket. The same thing happens on some Baofeng radios. The speaker plug just sticks in and open position rather than a cloesd position. Did the kids stick something like food, or a pencil in the socket, if they touched it, not much harm., unless they got something in the jack.

Last edited:

MStep

I am not familiar with your particular radio--- have you tried "resetting" the radio by removing all power for several minutes and then trying it again ?

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
This happened to me before with my 396XT and what teufler describes is what happened to me, minus the stuff about kids jamming something in there. It'd also try a short blast of compressed air into the jack.

The home remedies worked for a little while but I eventually had to send it to Uniden for repairs.

n0nhp

I had two speakers on my 396XT quit within a year of purchase.
They are not expensive, but the second one was on back order for more than a month indicating it is a pretty popular replacement. I was unable to find one that matched the specs anywhere else so just had a paper weight while waiting.

Internal Speaker For BCD396T & BCD396XT
SKU: BSPG0590001

from uniden parts.

Bruce

kb8rvp

BCD396XT: Lost sound through speaker

I just ordered the internal speaker for the HP-1 and called Uniden parts at 800-554-3988. I think they open at 9am central time. The speaker showed up yesterday and I have already replaced it and the scanner is back up and running. You can call to see if they have them in stock for your 396XT. The kids may have turned up the scanner to loud. I would try pressing the menu button on the side and then turn the dial on top to scroll to the WX Operation. Then press down on the top knob and then press it again to select weather scan to see if you hear anything. You can also try pressing the menu and going to settings and turning on the key pad beep under the Adjust Key Beep. Set it to Level 15 to see if you get any sound that way. If not your speaker is blown.

Good luck.
Mike

wtp

a thing to try

try using a set of computer speakers. most have the 3.5m stereo plug and are great to just add them.
also try inserting the plug a couple of times to see if the jack makes better contact.
and if you can't get the radio to work you now have a base station with computer speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.