Linn Co P25 tower in Lisbon

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakker200

Premium Subscriber
Hello, all...

Does anyone know the status of the proposed Linn County P25 tower in Lisbon? If it's up, what frequency is it? If I edit the frequency list in my 396XT to a couple of control channels and the frequency of the new tower, could that work for a base listening station to hear the County?

Thanks in advance... My scanner is pretty much a brick at the moment.

wakker200

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help, Tim.

Do you know how I can find out if the tower is running and what frequency it's on?

wakker200

Premium Subscriber
There was a plan for the Lisbon tower discussed this summer by the police department in Mount Vernon and an article in the local paper about a month back.

Apparently it's not up yet.

Thanks.

wakker200

Premium Subscriber
Are you referring to the antenna the Mt. Vernon police put up on the Mt. Vernon water tower?

That antenna still left null reception areas within the city limits (kind of like the one in my living room). :-/

wakker200

Premium Subscriber
New tower in Lisbon

There is a new tower going up next to the water tower in Lisbon that is supposed to be online by the end of April.

Can I program my scanner to just that frequency to avoid cancellation? (Several people suggested that cancellation was the problem with reception here, although the police were also having reception problems as well, hence the new tower).

IowaGuy1603

There is a new tower going up next to the water tower in Lisbon that is supposed to be online by the end of April.

The tower went live 5/2/16 and has 13 channels (exactly like all the other major towers in the system)

My Linn County scanner immediately went deaf to the system :9

wakker200

Premium Subscriber
So the new tower killed your reception?!

Wow. I've been tuning in for a couple of minutes every morning to see if it was turned on. Lots of bars, no reception.

I am just about a mile from the new tower. You could draw a line between the new tower and the one on Hwy 30 and I'd be close to it towards Lisbon.

I am going to dig out my logi to see if that fixes it. I'm not optimistic.

I do wonder if it helped our cops. I'll have to ask.

timkilbride

Database Admin

Wow. I've been tuning in for a couple of minutes every morning to see if it was turned on. Lots of bars, no reception.

I am just about a mile from the new tower. You could draw a line between the new tower and the one on Hwy 30 and I'd be close to it towards Lisbon.

You have to remember the "cops" radios are meant for simulcast modulation. Your scanner isn't. The general public thinks because there scanner isn't working, the cops radio's are not working. I am not disputing the fact the cops were not having issues in the area.

Tim

wakker200

Premium Subscriber
Actually, Tim, I've never heard anyone from the general public say that since their $500 scanner isn't working that the police radios aren't working. And that's not what I said, either.

The county just spent $580,000 to move that tower to its present location. The reason they did that was not to waste tax dollars, it was to try to solve reception difficulties.

Last edited:

IowaGuy1603

If I read right. Palisades site was moved to Lisbon, not just new site added?

That is not true. A new site was established at lisbon

The Lisbon tower was moved from Central City. The Palisades site was not affected.

Partially true

Central City still has a site. This was an OLD tower that was used on the old Linn County P25 system. but yes that tower was also in (or near) Central City

IowaGuy1603

Yep scanner went dead on the system-------I was having great reception until it went live

I had lots of signal but that was the problem ..........too much signal from too many towers (I can see 2 towers now) and they are canceling each other

almost 8 miles straight north of the Lisbon site.

Lisbon and Mt Vernon were having problems with dead spots..............the Palisades site wasn't cutting it especially in Mt Vernon with all the hills and hand held radios

They are much better now.

My scanner is now back working with a bit of attenuation.............and I am considering a yagi to point it towards one of the towers I can see

wakker200

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE

My log periodic antenna turned up today.

I hooked it up and my scanner leapt into life.

It doesn't seen too fussy about orientation.

This antenna is printed on a circuit board and I think I paid about $35 for it.

I'm in the vicinity of the quarry in MV btw.

PS... I have a 396XT and the attenuation is -20 dB or off. I get nothing at -20 at all, no bars.

IowaGuy1603

Log Periodic

UPDATE

My log periodic antenna turned up today.

I hooked it up and my scanner leapt into life.

It doesn't seen too fussy about orientation.

This antenna is printed on a circuit board and I think I paid about $35 for it.

I'm in the vicinity of the quarry in MV btw.

PS... I have a 396XT and the attenuation is -20 dB or off. I get nothing at -20 at all, no bars.

Could you send me the information on the antenna & your source for ordering

kc0lgb@netins.net
Doug Hilton

Status
Not open for further replies.