BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Programming P25 Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD9AYZ

My county dispatch recently switched to a new Motorola P25 Phase 2 TDMA trunking system with 6 towers. From what I can find on the FCC ULS and radio reference, there are 10 frequencies. Since it is a new system, I do not yet know what the talk groups are. Having only the frequencies is there a way to program and listen to the system and just have it listen for ANY talkgroup that opens on the system? Right now, using FreeScan i have the 10 frequencies imported into a site. On the scanner it shows ID SEARCH and is scanning the group but I am not hearing anything. I know there is voice, but I am not picking it up. Also, if I hold on the control channel it flashes "SID:06BCh-0101" *Note: This is in Lake County Indiana*

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
You don't mention the radio you are using, also is it capable of picking up the P25 phase 2?

KD9AYZ

Yes, the system is brand new. It just went live at 3AM this morning...but I shouldn't need specific talk groups to hear it right?

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Make sure you have it programmed as a P25 system and not an X2-TDMA system. As long as you have the radio set for ID Search, then you will receive any active talkgroup on the site that is not encrypted.

Voyager

Yes, the system is brand new. It just went live at 3AM this morning...but I shouldn't need specific talk groups to hear it right?

Correct. as long as you are using ID SEARCH, you need only enter the frequencies in a System defined as P25, and you will hear everything PROVIDED it is not encrypted.

And GAW - you're lucky. I got reamed for missing something simple in a thread a few days ago.

CalmWind

Make sure you have it programmed as a P25 system and not an X2-TDMA system. As long as you have the radio set for ID Search, then you will receive any active talkgroup on the site that is not encrypted.

Is your comment meant just for the referenced system, or all P25 X2-TDMA systems. I have one which shows Ds for the mode in the database and another one which shows Ts. Should both of those be treated the same?

Thanks.

Voyager

If it's a P25 system, yes. If it shows Ts, it's is a TDMA system (could be X2 but most likely P25 Phase II).

Status
Not open for further replies.