Is Pierce County Fire going to use the "ROBO-Dispatcher" from now on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBMTS

You are hearing the "Locution" dispatch CAD system. That is only for the initial dispatch notification. They have and still use dispatchers for the enroute and on-scene comms.

scooter1968

they have that here in Spokane as well, when they dispatch the City/County fire units, but as they go on the air, then a human voice answers

amtrak8

Premium Subscriber
We have been completing this project in 3 phases:
1) We turned on the 700 MHz Charlie 1 feed to test and it is now live.
2) We turned on the 800 MHz Bravo 3 feed to test and then moved it to Bravo 1 and live.
3) We will turn on the VHF feed over the next 10 days. This will have the 2-tone and DTMF paging built into it. Unfortunately we can't "test" it, so the test will be live and will cycle on and off as needed until it is working correctly.

As said above, it's for the initial dispatch only. We still have the same number of dispatchers. It's a balance between workload and available manpower. Having a computer system handle the initial dispatch gets the information out quicker, as the system can "queue" multiple calls at once, and while it is waiting for available radio air time, the dispatch as already been sent to MDC's and pagers/phones. Also, there are a few stations that have equipment that also will get be alerted in less than a couple seconds regardless of radio time.

This allows for the dispatcher that used to sit and pull up each call and select tones and read the information to work a fireground channel and not have to push their work to their partners while toning calls.

We don't have Locution, we have US Digital. While they can sound the same, the system is vastly different from Locution.

Tacoma Fire will also transition over to this system soon.

Thanks for everyone's interest!

PACNWDude

Will have to listen for this. CAD Locution system could be interesting to listen to.

Thank you for posting this.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Tacoma Fire will also transition over to this system
Been hearing the testing on A-5 from TFD; sounds awesome and 10x better than some of the human dispatchers, at least one of whom has such a thick "urban accent" he's nearly unintelligible.

DickH

We have been completing this project in 3 phases:
1) We turned on the 700 MHz Charlie 1 feed to test and it is now live.
2) We turned on the 800 MHz Bravo 3 feed to test and then moved it to Bravo 1 and live.
3) We will turn on the VHF feed over the next 10 days. This will have the 2-tone and DTMF paging built into it. Unfortunately we can't "test" it, so the test will be live and will cycle on and off as needed until it is working correctly.

As said above, it's for the initial dispatch only. We still have the same number of dispatchers. It's a balance between workload and available manpower. Having a computer system handle the initial dispatch gets the information out quicker, as the system can "queue" multiple calls at once, and while it is waiting for available radio air time, the dispatch as already been sent to MDC's and pagers/phones. Also, there are a few stations that have equipment that also will get be alerted in less than a couple seconds regardless of radio time.

This allows for the dispatcher that used to sit and pull up each call and select tones and read the information to work a fireground channel and not have to push their work to their partners while toning calls.

We don't have Locution, we have US Digital. While they can sound the same, the system is vastly different from Locution.

Tacoma Fire will also transition over to this system soon.

Thanks for everyone's interest!

You left out an important advantage. The audio speed, volume and pronunciation are always the same - very intelligible. Some dispatchers do not realize they talk too softly or mumble or speak in any number of annoying ways that impede understanding.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I have been listening to Columbus' Locution dispatches for over 5 years now. It is very productive, and fast. The ability to dispatch up to 20 calls simultaneously makes a huge difference especially when you get 150,000+ calls a year. It has not decreased dispatcher staffing whatsoever. And it is a real recorded voice not a computer.

amtrak8

Premium Subscriber
After conducting performance testing last Saturday, we have turned on the VHF portion of US Digital for some in depth testing. It is now transmitting 2-tone and DTMF on Delta 1 (153.890). The dispatchers have the ability to turn the system off if needed and manually tone calls.

After I receive a small update from USDD tomorrow, it should be good to go unless something major pops up in the testing.

amtrak8

Premium Subscriber
US Digital is up and running. So far we have had very few issues, but you might notice some differences between how things were handled manually and how the system does it.

amtrak8

Premium Subscriber
I have submitted all of the Charlie Channels to the database,

Also, Tacoma Fire went live with US Digital yesterday, so if you are listening to Alpha 1, you will hear their version of the software.

Sounds like the remaining county fire agencies will move to 700 before the end of the year.

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
Amtrak, do you know where Puyallup,Sumner and Bonney Lake police dispatch talkgroups migrated too, or changed too? They have gone silent on the PSRS system using the recently published R/R TGID's...mac

amtrak8

Premium Subscriber
The last time I saw their talkgroups, they have them patched with the old analog system. I am assuming they must have taken the patches down and are completely on digital now. I am not sure if the digital system acts the same as the old analog system where the talkgroup ID changes when there is a patch. I'll see what I can find out.

The last time I saw their talkgroups, they have them patched with the old analog system. I am assuming they must have taken the patches down and are completely on digital now. I am not sure if the digital system acts the same as the old analog system where the talkgroup ID changes when there is a patch. I'll see what I can find out.
Thanks for keeping us updated :)

78turbo

I heard encrypted transmission on talkgroup 40315 today, which I believe is part of the Charlie fire ops. Does anyone know if this is fire/law inter-op or something else?

kinglou0

Does the shift to the 700mhz mean that I will finally be able to pick up fire on the South Simulcast out here in the sticks of Eatonville?

The only traffic on that site is PCSO East (40106) and Transit Dispatch (3 & 5).

One of these days,I'm going to need to invest some money in a really good outdoor antenna. Home-brewed antennas and rubber ducky's are hopeless out here.

**Edit-I've been a member of this site this long and it's my first post!!!???

Last edited:

kinglou0

I get Eatonville dispatch and car to car on 158.8275 DCS 243. If that helps any.

I appreciate the help.

For the town police, it's cell phones and the South Sound system on the East Talkgroup.

Fire VHF comes in down here but not with the excellent quality (debatable) that a digital system gives you.
Thurston and Lewis County are on most days easier to receive versus Pierce County VHF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.