CIV AIR PATROL / Squad 11 / Palm Sp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyhetzel

Talked to a civil air patrol guy today... He said the have a repeater on Onyx peak (big bear) and the top of the Palm Springs tram....however the wiki does not show this...anyone know the freq.? If not I will go to a meeting and talk to the comm. guys to get more info.. It's interesting they are part of the Air Force. They do a lot of searches for planes down and relay info. To the proper agencies. ..

HopperD

Premium Subscriber
Long ago I used to hear them all of the time, not so much anymore. I would be interested in the repeater info as well.

nd5y

Last edited:

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
Some of their frequencies have changed. However, they are also considered "for official use only", so don't be surprised if they won't give them to you.

scottyhetzel

It's not hard to find CAP repeaters. They only have two frequencies for fixed repeaters, 148.125 and 148.15, and one for portable repeaters, 148.1375. Listen on those and post what PL or NAC they use. They should be using PL/NAC and channel designators listed at Simplified Channel List - The RadioReference Wiki

There are two Onyx repeaters listed here http://www.freqofnature.com/frequencies/usgov/usaf/cap.html but I don't know how accurate or old that web site is.

Thank you so much!

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
The Palm Springs repeater (Called 'R35') is on 148.125 with a NAC of 3CE
The Onyx Repeaters are:
148.125 $4F9 R61
148.150 $4F9 R24

scottyhetzel

The Palm Springs repeater (Called 'R35') is on 148.125 with a NAC of 3CE
The Onyx Repeaters are:
148.125 $4F9 R61
148.150 $4F9 R24

Sweet! Thank you Sir! I will take a listen... The civil air guy said they did a lot of S&R stuff back in the day ...he said riv mnt. Rescue team and riv sheriff handle most of the stuff.

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
Each state is different, but in California, CAP is the primary responder for lost (not verified crashed) aircraft for the state. They go on a lot of ELT hunts, and search for planes that were expected but haven't arrived. Sadly, some of those turn into rescues or recoveries, and that's when the local agencies responsible for that kind of thing are engaged. I was involved long ago, and for a short time and SAR was a primary mission then, I wonder if that's changed.

scottyhetzel

Each state is different, but in California, CAP is the primary responder for lost (not verified crashed) aircraft for the state. They go on a lot of ELT hunts, and search for planes that were expected but haven't arrived. Sadly, some of those turn into rescues or recoveries, and that's when the local agencies responsible for that kind of thing are engaged. I was involved long ago, and for a short time and SAR was a primary mission then, I wonder if that's changed.

Mike,

The CAP guy said it depends on the county within the state... Some SAR Sheriffs dept. push them out and only use them for eyes and ears and to report back to the local Sherifffs' dept.. So local agencies can respond and take over operations.

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
That's possible, since the state constitution requires that the county sheriff 'own' SAR in their area. In their primary SAR mission role, CAP is dispatched by the AFRCC for overdue aircraft and ELT signals reported by FAA and others. CAP can search multiple counties in hopes of locating the event of interest, and in some cases, provide first aid etc. until the local authorities get on scene and take over.

For other scenarios, like a specific search area located within a county (witnesses report a plane down in the foothills above some city), the county SAR team has the lead and may call CAP to help with the search. IF that's the case, CAP is activated under an MOU with the state OES and not in their 'federal role'.

At least, that's how I remember it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.