New vendor selling 436's problems resolved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Anchorage-Alaska, Boise-Idaho, Salem-Oregon
Anyone know if new 436's selling from various vendors have the clock/ display issues resolved? As expected would depend on stock resupys from Uniden. Otherwise some new owners would be returning for service after a period of time

vpasq

Anyone know if new 436's selling from various vendors have the clock/ display issues resolved? As expected would depend on stock resupys from Uniden. Otherwise some new owners would be returning for service after a period of time

I just bought and received a new one from Amazon three days ago and it DOES NOT HAVE THE CLOCK ISSUE!!!! Don't know if that means all of their stock is problem-free, but I can say mine was. Good luck.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I just bought and received a new one from Amazon three days ago and it DOES NOT HAVE THE CLOCK ISSUE!!!! Don't know if that means all of their stock is problem-free, but I can say mine was. Good luck.

The clock issue takes a while to show up.... In most cases it was months down the road. I don't believe anyone experienced the issue out-of-the-box.

vpasq

Wow, that is a real disappointment to hear I may be sitting on a defect and don't even know if/or if not its there!!! Wow, maybe I need to reconsider whether this is really the unit for me, after all the extras I purchased etc. and cut my losses now. IMPORTANT QUESTION: ARE ALL UNITS EFFECTS OR IS THERE A SERIES, where we can check the serial numbers. I ask this because I am unimpressed at Uniden's handling and the "iffy" return period. Not knowing when the parts will be in, how long it will take, etc. etc.etc.

I didn't buy a new unit to go through immediate need for warranty service. As I said initially, WOW, WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT.

I think maybe I was better off with the BCD396XT since it performed in just the two months of ownership remarkable, but I bargained for improved P25 performance, and I have to admit, the 436HP does seem to decode and deliver a higher quality of P25 signal (at least in my area).

Now I am really in a quagmire!!!!!!!!!! Comments, suggestions would be appreciated.

vpasq

I thought the dimming display issue was on the 536HP not the 436HP, can some one confirm if the 436HP has this problem also?????????? Wow, my day is getting ruined fast.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I thought the dimming display issue was on the 536HP not the 436HP, can some one confirm if the 436HP has this problem also?????????? Wow, my day is getting ruined fast.

I think I read that the 436 also has the dimming issue. BUT, don't use the backlight on it's brightest setting all the time. I've had my 436 since the initial release, never use the backlight on high and DO NOT have the dimming issue.

I also have had NO trouble with my clock. Apparently, some units have the problem and some don't.

Don't let it ruin your day. There is a firmware release that makes the clock issue easier to deal with. Not an actual fix, but the unit won't constantly ask you to set the clock.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Wow, that is a real disappointment to hear I may be sitting on a defect and don't even know if/or if not its there!!! Wow, maybe I need to reconsider whether this is really the unit for me, after all the extras I purchased etc. and cut my losses now. IMPORTANT QUESTION: ARE ALL UNITS EFFECTS OR IS THERE A SERIES, where we can check the serial numbers. I ask this because I am unimpressed at Uniden's handling and the "iffy" return period. Not knowing when the parts will be in, how long it will take, etc. etc.etc.

I didn't buy a new unit to go through immediate need for warranty service. As I said initially, WOW, WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT.

I think maybe I was better off with the BCD396XT since it performed in just the two months of ownership remarkable, but I bargained for improved P25 performance, and I have to admit, the 436HP does seem to decode and deliver a higher quality of P25 signal (at least in my area).

Now I am really in a quagmire!!!!!!!!!! Comments, suggestions would be appreciated.

Information here......

If you haven't updated your firmware, there was a temporary work-around for the clock problem with a firmware update outlined by Uniden here:

436 Clock Re-Set Issue

Uniden's recent announcement about the fix for the clock problem is here:

https://www.uniden.com/product-infor...epair-campaign

And there is a thread with questions and answers about the process here:

BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

troymail

Silent Key
Both the clock and diming issues appear over time. They've acknowledged and are working towards recall/repairs for the headphone jack on the 536 and battery issues but haven't really come out and fully acknowledged the dimming issues other than offering to take a look at that if/when you have the battery issue and send your unit(s) in...

Having said that, I haven't been able to see/view the screens on either radio much at all while mobile since I got these things. It's a combination of things - the backlighting is pretty weak new out of the box (and gets worse over time), the text tends to be pretty small (excepting the 3 line mode on the 536), and the glare on the display from sunlight, etc.

At least as far as the 436 goes, Uniden could really help out by offering alternative display options (i.e. user display options for lesser but larger text). So far, they don't seem to be listening - but they do have their hands full with all of the problems they've been dealing with with between the defects and the features promised almost two years ago now that have yet to materialize.

Uniden has provided us with a true learning experience...

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Anchorage-Alaska, Boise-Idaho, Salem-Oregon
I just ordered from Amazon

I am not too worried if any issues come up since its new and Amazon has a great return policy.

But more to the Uniden fix of new stocked units, Realisticy I would guess any 436 unless really new stock has these defects that will come out.

**** Perhaps Uniden can advise on specific serial number range of new stocked 436's that have the clock/ display issues resolved

mine has not shipped yet today but not knowing a specific serial number makes no diffrence now due to Amazons size where you can't get a serial number prior to shippment unlike a smaller dealer

XTS3000

The battery RTC failure didn't start happening until the scanner was 12+ months old, so you should get that amount of time with the 436HP's before that problem may start to happen.

It's taken Uniden a long time to obtain a limited amount of parts to repair our faulty radios, so I highly doubt the factory has access to these new parts yet. If the factory in Vietnam already had these new replacement parts, wouldn't Uniden USA have them airmail a few thousand of these new parts?

I suspect there will be a long time before production x36HP's will contain this new fix for both the RTC and display dimming.

MStep

............. but they do have their hands full with all of the problems they've been dealing with with between the defects and the features promised almost two years ago now that have yet to materialize.

Uniden has provided us with a true learning experience...

Yes Troy, it has been quite an experience for everyone involved. Just think of the thousands of units that were sold to police and fire departments, other public service organizations, and the military--- all who are not quite as aware (if at all) as we are simply because they are not involved in these forums.

But it's necessary to keep bringing these issues to the forefront until they are all satisfactorily resolved. And the learning experience for Uniden--- well, I guess it has to be don't "cheap-out" on the parts. I'm almost certain that folks would have spent an extra $30 for a unit with better bulbs and better batteries.

On the consumer side--- don't be in such a rush to have the latest toys on the block. Sometimes it's worth waiting 6 months or so for a product to "mature", and for the reviews to be in, before deciding the pull the proverbial trigger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.