If uniden released a new scanner, would you be gunshy to buy it?

Would you buy right away a new generation uniden scanner.

• Yes

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • No I will wait a few months

Votes: 44 34.9%
  • I will wait a year minimum

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • I got burned last time, never will I buy another new model.

Votes: 19 15.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

prc117f

After the whole 536 mess, if Uniden release a new 5xx generation scanner would you be gunshy to buy it and wait to see how it pans out or would you buy it right away?

New Scanners

would think by now someone would make a Scanner work more like a radio i have a GRE-800 and a Pro-197 sometimes it works and sometimes nothing glad i use a real Motorola radio beats a scanner any day

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
David a 1 band Kenwood or Motorola walkie cost more than the X36 series scanners. The AOR wide band receiver cost $1,200.00 and still does not work as listed plus it does not trunktrack. Just how much do you think a scanner should cost for the features you want? I get 100% out of all the scanners listed in my signature line own and still use each and every one and waiting to add more. To answer the question if Uniden offered a new version of the X36's with TRBO and NXDN I would buy one Today.

mciupa

No, I wouldn't be afraid at all.

I trade up...down, sell, do what ever to get the latest..greatest. If it has features I want, I get it.

I kept the 536 for a year but was missing doing analysis. With my 996P2, I use Pro96.com with the serial port and Unitrunker with the USB port. I'll add the extreme upgrade on the HomePatrol-2 and do LTR and raw output analysis.

I kept the first generation 996XT and HomePatrol for four years and when Phase 2 came to town, I worked on upgrading my "stable".

Bring it on Uniden! :)

MStep

I would do the same thing I did with the 536---- wait at least a year for the dust to settle and then make a decision.

tbiggums

I won't even consider buying a Uniden scanner until they make them follow P25 talkgroup patches like the GRE/Whistler made ones do.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I would do the same thing I've done with every purchase of every electronic item I've ever made: Do my research and judge it on its own merit.

I am not the kind of person who has to have the first of something. You wouldn't catch me lining up at oh-god-hundred-hours outside a store just so I can have the first phone/scanner/radio/computer/toy/whatever. I'll buy something after I've thought it over and figured out if it'll be right for me.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I've been an early adopter several times, and it's gone bad at least 2X more than it went well, so I would say no, I would wait at least a year before buying anything Uniden makes. I'm sorry it's that way, I've been burned too many times in the past.

QuietPlease

...I'm trying to listen.
Database Admin
David a 1 band Kenwood or Motorola walkie cost more than the X36 series scanners. The AOR wide band receiver cost $1,200.00 and still does not work as listed plus it does not trunktrack. Just how much do you think a scanner should cost for the features you want? I get 100% out of all the scanners listed in my signature line own and still use each and every one and waiting to add more. To answer the question if Uniden offered a new version of the X36's with TRBO and NXDN I would buy one Today.

TRBO is getting REALLY popular in my area. If Uniden (or any other brand) introduced a compatible scanner, I'd buy it immediately. Otherwise, I'd probably wait and see the reviews from others. I'm considering the AOR, but from what I've heard it doesn't display the group code/color code/etc. It just gives you the audio.

Voyager

TRBO is getting REALLY popular in my area. If Uniden (or any other brand) introduced a compatible scanner, I'd buy it immediately.

I suspect if anyone came out with a decent TRBO scanner, you would see a dramatic upturn in the use of encryption which is a standard feature on DMR.

That said, why don't you do what many others have done and just purchase a DMR portable and don't program the transmit frequencies in? You can get them for about $150 now.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
I brought the Uniden BCD436HP this year and wish that I had not. The scanner is nice but just too hard to program and the Sentinel programming software is a learning curve just to use the software. I do not know as to why Uniden cannot improve the software to be more users friendly. I have posted on RR asking how to program the scanner with the Sentinel software and the good community has responded, but I just get lost every time. It is so frustrating.

So, I brought the Whistler WS1095, I am very happy with the scanner and the EZ Scan programming software is so easy to use. I am looking forward in buying the new Whistler hand-held which should be coming out next month and maybe even the base.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I never buy new tech anything for a few months after it comes on the market and then only after it gets good reviews. I'm glad I never bought a 436 or 536. That said, I have a 396T that's never given me any problems. Fortunately all the systems in this area are conventional except for one trunked system that I don't ever listen to anyway. I'd take a skeptical wait and see attitude about any new scanner.

QuietPlease

...I'm trying to listen.
Database Admin
I suspect if anyone came out with a decent TRBO scanner, you would see a dramatic upturn in the use of encryption which is a standard feature on DMR.

That said, why don't you do what many others have done and just purchase a DMR portable and don't program the transmit frequencies in? You can get them for about $150 now.

I have a couple of XPRs. They work great. It's just a pain in the butt to figure out all the groups and codes. I use DSD and all that, but having a scanner that simply displayed it would be SOOO much easier.

I'm not sure a DMR scanner would encourage encryption. Encryption totally depends on the agency and how their administration feels about it. In MS, a lot of our agencies are switching to the statewide MSWIN system. It's very capable of encryption, but most agencies don't bother to use it. But let's not get sidetracked.

A proper, modern scanner should support all the popular digital modes. TRBO is just the popular one in my area. Build one and I'll buy it.

Voyager

I'm not sure a DMR scanner would encourage encryption. Encryption totally depends on the agency and how their administration feels about it.

Exactly. And when they sell systems that are "unscannable" based on there not being a scanner that supports the mode (AOR aside for the moment), and they get feedback that there is a scanner that decodes it, they will take steps to make it "unscannable" again to keep getting those sales. Trust me - I am very much involved with people on both sides of the argument, and know both sides very well.

There have been lots of PS agencies that have encrypted for much the same reasons, and it has everything to do with ease of access. For the time being DSD is not considered 'easy'. You said so yourself: "It's just a pain in the butt to figure out all the groups and codes".

scannersnstuff

the only reason i'm responding to this verbally, is because the op formulated his question different way's, in the post header, and on the survey. so i change my vote, from what was originally a yes, to a resounding no.after the last false promises fiasco with uniden, i would be hard pressed to buy another uniden product.

uniden, you did a lot of people dirty. you should be ashamed.

AC2OY

I would buy another Uniden scanner again. My 536 is a amazing radio I think so anyway. The fact that Uniden is fixing all our units tells me something. I will sit back and wait until my turn comes up with my dim screen and send it in and will be happy when I get it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.