BCD536 Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobes

Feed Provider
I rebooted my BCD536 and I got nothing but a blank screen. Did some reading to find that it could be SD card related. I tried another SD card and the screen finally came up but says a problem with the SD detected so I tried the clear user data option. That didn't work it cant refresh to find the card.

I've tried several time reseating the original card and the screen never even come up the radio is just dead.

The think its now a hardware problem or something with the internal reader. Any ideas? Radio is less than a year old. Not funny having a $500+ DOA radio.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I tried the clear user data option. That didn't work it cant refresh to find the card.

When you got to the clear user data step with the other card, did you check the "display all drives" checkbox?

jobes

Feed Provider
Yes I just tried the display all drives now. I did find it in Sentinel and it seems to write to the card. But, booting up again it just says a problem with the card again clean user data.

jobes

Feed Provider
Ive tried several I have on hand. I'll pick-up a new one and try again. I think its a problem in the radio.

Seems like the only card related step to try is a brand new card.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
There have been many similar posts on Radio Reference over the last 18 months. I understand your concern Jobes, but if the radio even turns on and you see a blank lit screen, it is almost certainly an SD card issue. The "format and clear user data" steps can be a bit tricky.

CalmWind

It is a good sign the radio will boot with a different card, although there may still be a problem with the radio itself.

The cards are microSDHC cards which come in 4 to 32 GB in size and formatted as Fat32. The original SanDisk card was Class 4.

Have the extra cards you have been used in other devices? When I replaced my card, it was preformatted so nothing else was on it. If you have other type of files, formatting or even deleting prior data should help.

After you clear user data, did you write to the card to restore the database and your favorites list? Then remove the USB cable and let it reboot?

jobes

Feed Provider
Ive tried everything from a 4gb to 64gb and reformatting using SDFormatter. When writing to the card I've do the clear user data and tried writing the DB back. Then turned the radio off unplugged the USB and tried booting but still get the SD error.

It is a good sign the radio will boot with a different card, although there may still be a problem with the radio itself.

The cards are microSDHC cards which come in 4 to 32 GB in size and formatted as Fat32. The original SanDisk card was Class 4.

Have the extra cards you have been used in other devices? When I replaced my card, it was preformatted so nothing else was on it. If you have other type of files, formatting or even deleting prior data should help.

After you clear user data, did you write to the card to restore the database and your favorites list? Then remove the USB cable and let it reboot?

CalmWind

It may not make a difference, but don't turn the radio off, just unplug the USB cable.

Can you see what is on the card when the USB cable is connected?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Not sure but have you formatted the sd card then copied the data to the card in a card reader then put the card back in the scanner with the scanner turned off after you get the card in the scanner with the data on the card turn the scanner on.

jobes

Feed Provider
No I haven't tried writing from a reader yet. I'll give that a try tomorrow and see what happens.

Not sure but have you formatted the sd card then copied the data to the card in a card reader then put the card back in the scanner with the scanner turned off after you get the card in the scanner with the data on the card turn the scanner on.

Status
Not open for further replies.