Uniden 396xt: ID Scan or ID Search?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbelt76

Premium Subscriber
Sill question but;

What is the difference between ID Scan and ID search?

After I upload from FreeScan, the scanner reverts to ID Search.
This seems the only way I hear anything.

If I switch to ID Scan, I don't hear anything.

Thanks to all.

chipl57

ID Scan will only scan talkgroups you have programmed into the scanner. ID Search will allow you to hear all transmissions on the system you are scanning, which if I remember correctly, is the Hoosier SAFE-T system. If you are using ID Scan and do not hear anything, then you have no talkgroups programmed.

blackbelt76

Premium Subscriber
ID Scan will only scan talkgroups you have programmed into the scanner. ID Search will allow you to hear all transmissions on the system you are scanning, which if I remember correctly, is the Hoosier SAFE-T system. If you are using ID Scan and do not hear anything, then you have no talkgroups programmed.

Thank you.

I will assume you are speaking of what is labeled in FreeScan as (TGID)?

For instance, I am looking at the FreeScan table now.

ISP 22 DISP = TGID "12592"

The number 12592 DOES appear in ID search, but if I force the scanner to go ID Scan, I never hear anything?...so I am assuming the talk groups ARE in there?

ps..Yes...It is the SAFE-T system

marksmith

If you are on scan but never hear anything and do get results on search, you should assume you DO NOT have any talk groups programmed.

If you go into program system, pick that system, edit group, edit channel, it is likely you have no groups (department) or channels (talkgroups) entered for the system.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

blackbelt76

Premium Subscriber
If you are on scan but never hear anything and do get results on search, you should assume you DO NOT have any talk groups programmed.

If you go into program system, pick that system, edit group, edit channel, it is likely you have no groups (department) or channels (talkgroups) entered for the system.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Does this meanFreeScan is NOT importing the talk groups?

I need to go in and manually enter the talk groups?
I thought that heavy lifting was done by FreeScan?

marksmith

It is. You either get a paid membership with radio reference and download them, or you manually enter them into groups and channels in Freescan before you copy to the radio, getting the data from the website.

In freescan, do you have groups set up under the systems, with channels in the groups?

Mark

blackbelt76

Premium Subscriber
It is. You either get a paid membership with radio reference and download them, or you manually enter them into groups and channels in Freescan before you copy to the radio, getting the data from the website.

In freescan, do you have groups set up under the systems, with channels in the groups?

Mark

Thanks again Mark.

I'll try to type out the directory tree when I download SAFE-T Project Hoosier.

[MOT2] IndianaProjectHo
[GRP] AllenCounty (02)
[M82C] Fort Wayne

If I click on [GRP] AllenCounty (02) I see the following:

Display TGID
02 in TRAA 1 13472
02 Fire 15040
additional settings here to the right etc.....

So it appears I DO have TG's in the system.
..and yes, I do have a paid subscription to RR.

Attachments

• FreeScan.jpg
    FreeScan.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 438
  • FreeScan1.jpg
    FreeScan1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 426
  • FreeScan3.jpg
    FreeScan3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:

Voyager

One clarification on the ID SCAN/SEARCH:

ID SCAN will let you monitor any channels (talkgroups ./ TGIDs) that you have programmed in but not disabled or locked out.

ID SEARCH will let you monitor an talkgroups (TGIDs) on the system as long as they are not disabled or locked out.

If they are programmed but locked out (or in a Group that is locked out), you will not hear them period. If they are disabled (in a Group whose Quick Key is not active), you will not hear them period.

I would recommend NOT setting the Quick Key until you have your setup established and working. Then you can add Quick Keys later. Learn one step at a time. When you learn more than one at a time, you won't really understand what happened if something goes wrong.

On your programming, it looks correct. Did you overwrite the system in the scanner or did you duplicate the system? If the latter, that can easily cause confusion. Make sure you delete any ''old versions' of that system in your scanner.

Last edited:

blackbelt76

Premium Subscriber
One clarification on the ID SCAN/SEARCH:

ID SCAN will let you monitor any channels (talkgroups ./ TGIDs) that you have programmed in but not disabled or locked out.

ID SEARCH will let you monitor an talkgroups (TGIDs) on the system as long as they are not disabled or locked out.

If they are programmed but locked out (or in a Group that is locked out), you will not hear them period. If they are disabled (in a Group whose Quick Key is not active), you will not hear them period.

I would recommend NOT setting the Quick Key until you have your setup established and working. Then you can add Quick Keys later. Learn one step at a time. When you learn more than one at a time, you won't really understand what happened if something goes wrong.

On your programming, it looks correct. Did you overwrite the system in the scanner or did you duplicate the system? If the latter, that can easily cause confusion. Make sure you delete any ''old versions' of that system in your scanner.

Thanks Voyager,

Just to clarify, when we refer to TGID's, we are talking about the 5 digit ID such as "15240" etc...

1) When you say DO NOT assign quick keys yet, you are referring to GQK; right?
I DO have a few GQK assigned for the SAFE-T system with (0) as a SQK.

So what happens (IF) I DO NOT assign GQK's?
The scanner will scan everything under each SQK?

Yes'; I overwrite any "existing" program when I upload.

I'm OK with the scanner in ID Search as I DO hear the counties of interest, but a few I have no interest in.
I know how to L/O but would rather eliminate certain TGID's and finally get this thing to ID Scan, not ID Search.
I see the five digit ID's on the scanner display and am able to identify them by looking 'em up in RR.

Last: Is ID Search slower to lock on than ID Scan?

Addendum:

This morning as I watched the display, I noticed something interesting.

When the scanner stopped on "ISP 22 DISP", just before it resumed it said ID SCAN for a moment.
Then it reverted to ID Search.

Last edited:

marksmith

I see one system with one group containing 2 talkgroups. If this is all you elected to download to freescan then I guess it is working to load i to freescan. As long as these two talk groups are not locked out they will be the only thing scanned on the system in scan mode. In search mode you will hear any active talkgroup on the system. I am sure there are more than two. Are you saying that you are not receiving these two specific talkgroups when in scan? Or you are just hearing activity in other talkgroups when in search? Are you hearing these two specific talkgroups in search but not scan? Still trying to verify the question.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

blackbelt76

Premium Subscriber
I see one system with one group containing 2 talkgroups. If this is all you elected to download to freescan then I guess it is working to load i to freescan. As long as these two talk groups are not locked out they will be the only thing scanned on the system in scan mode. In search mode you will hear any active talkgroup on the system. I am sure there are more than two. Are you saying that you are not receiving these two specific talkgroups when in scan? Or you are just hearing activity in other talkgroups when in search? Are you hearing these two specific talkgroups in search but not scan? Still trying to verify the question.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Thanks Mark and to all who helped me along.

I think I have it all working properly now. Wow!... talk about complex compared to the days of Banks/Channels.

My problem was so silly I'm embarrassed to say it. LOL

I did not download the proper sites and counties..I was too selective.
What clued me in was I COULD be in scan mode and hear ISP (Indiana State Police).
I re-downloaded again with the sites and counties and services I was interested in and SHAZAAM!

Another issue I had, (My Fault), was NOT turning on the proper GQK.

I've written down my SYSTEMS and associated group #'s.
I don't know how you all keep track of what is what w/o writing it down? LOL

I am now scanning everything I want at the moment, digital trunked, P-25 and conventional.

Not sure how to program EDACS 900Mhz yet. I tried (downloaded via RR) but hear nothing. It is our power company. NIPSCO, "Northeast Indiana Public Service Co" I may ask this question in the Indiana forum.

At this point I will probably start fine tuning freqs and TGID's.

My only disappointment is not being able to monitor my city PD & Fire as they are now all encrypted.

I have a lot more reading to do but feel I am off to a good start now.

Thanks again to all!

Voyager

Just to clarify, when we refer to TGID's, we are talking about the 5 digit ID such as "15240" etc...

Correct.

1) When you say DO NOT assign quick keys yet, you are referring to GQK; right?

Correct.

So what happens (IF) I DO NOT assign GQK's?
The scanner will scan everything under each SQK?

Correct.

Last: Is ID Search slower to lock on than ID Scan?

Both are identical in speed and acquisition. Trunked systems don't scan like conventional frequencies. I can go into more detail if you like.

Another issue I had, (My Fault), was NOT turning on the proper GQK.

That's exactly why I recommend not assigning them until you have everything else working. But, you're past that point now.

marksmith

Good to see you up and running, blackbelt. I guess it's been about 15 years ago that I went through the "banks" to trunked systems and dynamic memory in scanners, and I still remember some aha! moments. We have all gone through this education. The more you figure it out the better you will do in this hobby.

That radio helps you learn it more than the new radios with the database built in etc, and is still one of my favorites. I have two of them and use them daily.

One thing I will mention about writing stuff down... in freescan, there is an option under print to print out a cheat sheet of all the system quick keys and the site name associated. I use it periodically. There might be other options in there useful to you.

I also use the same Freescan file to update both 396, 996xt, 996p2, 325p2, and a 15x. That way the same qk's in all those radios.

Mark

blackbelt76

Premium Subscriber
Good to see you up and running, blackbelt. I guess it's been about 15 years ago that I went through the "banks" to trunked systems and dynamic memory in scanners, and I still remember some aha! moments. We have all gone through this education. The more you figure it out the better you will do in this hobby.

That radio helps you learn it more than the new radios with the database built in etc, and is still one of my favorites. I have two of them and use them daily.

One thing I will mention about writing stuff down... in freescan, there is an option under print to print out a cheat sheet of all the system quick keys and the site name associated. I use it periodically. There might be other options in there useful to you.

I also use the same Freescan file to update both 396, 996xt, 996p2, 325p2, and a 15x. That way the same qk's in all those radios.

Mark

Thanks again Mark; you have been very helpful.

In the mid 80's I was a motorola tech believe it or not, servicing emergency services trunked systems..so I have a better knowledge how these systems work from a component level, not the appliance operator level. LOL

I am still amazed when one considers the cost that a step by step manual was not produced by Uniden, Wow! They have probably left a fair amount of market share just laying there on the table.

Now that I have all the fregs I need, have a good understanding of sys, sites and groups, I'm diving into the audio levels, p-25 thresholds etc, which I have a far better understanding of.

Maybe in a few months I'll do a basic programming video on the 396xt as the ones I've seen online are usually out of focus and poorly produced. I'm a photojournalist so at least I can produce something of better quality for all those people bewildered as I was at the start.

All the best,

marksmith

The 396xt and 996xt are probably the most reliable scanners ever made. I understand both have now been discontinued by Uniden, probably because they both have phase 2 capable successors.

They will still be sold for a while because there at probably huge inventories out there.

Uniden has not gotten any better st manual writing with the newest radios.

If you go online you will find an "easier to read" manual for many different scanners, including the 396xt.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.