Updating a 996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
My apologies for the following question since I asked the same one two years ago but is there any method of updating the software on the 996XT using the rear serial port? The front one on my unit is damaged and will not work. When I use the rear port, the update routine almost seems to work but then it times out. I have tried every trick I know but nada. Very frustrating. I fully understand if the only solution my be to repair the front port however if anyone anywhere has had success using the rear port for software updates, please let me know.

Best Regards

Jeff

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
My apologies for the following question since I asked the same one two years ago but is there any method of updating the software on the 996XT using the rear serial port? The front one on my unit is damaged and will not work. When I use the rear port, the update routine almost seems to work but then it times out. I have tried every trick I know but nada. Very frustrating. I fully understand if the only solution my be to repair the front port however if anyone anywhere has had success using the rear port for software updates, please let me know.

Best Regards

Jeff

If you are speaking of firmware updates, they can only be done through the front port.

ak4fn

Yes I am speaking of the firmware updates but why is that? One can program the scanner using either port so you would think that it would also work for the firmware updates. What is the point of having two ports?

So you can mount it permanently in a vehicle in the dash and have the GPS using the rear port and still use the front port for updates and programming.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It has to do with the CPU port that is used for USB being the only one capable of firmware updating (i.e. CPU limitation).

Status
Not open for further replies.