First SNOW closure of I-70

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosemedic

Sorry, I made you look :lol:
OK, it's the very first snow storm. The news channels all have contests for the first snowfall in Denver date.

Does anyone want to guess the date for the very first closure of I-70 by people that shouldn't be allowed above 6,000 ft elevation?

If Fire agencies can impose a Wildland Fire Hazard Overlay Zone, http://jeffco.us/planning-and-zonin...tion-32-w-h-wildfire-hazard-overlay-district/

I propose that we have a > Flatlanders shouldn't go into the mountains in crappy cars with bald tires because YOU are the Hazard Overlay Zone < !! *If you grew up here you might remember this was known as the "Chain Law" but we all know that's never been enforced. Pretty much said "Chains or adequate snow tires", Come to think of it, last year didn't some politician try to pass a law that was on the books already for this very thing?

Note to those that claim to be monitoring the chain up station: There's a very distinctive ching-ching-ching-ching-ching sound when trucks with chains go flying by. Try paying attention this year:mad:

Ok, second idea ... it's a drinking game where you watch the news and take a shot each time the reporter that's found a plowed parking lot with a snowbank behind them uses Treacherous

Anyone?
Anyone?

rfburns

The new version of the Bill is going to be introduced at the Statehouse in January. Google news articles for the new details.

Moosemedic

ford-f-150-raptortrax-05.jpg

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
IMHO, the law shouldn't allow for writing tickets unless the vehicle can be demonstrated to be obstructing traffic, and then they should write some real *whoppers* -- using some sort of scale that is directly proportional to the number of driver-hours being wasted by their silliness, perhaps estimated using the number of miles of vehicles stopped in the resulting delay.

If you can successfully navigate on sketchy tires and AWD with some skill, fine. Conversely, a lousy driver with chains that's stuck in the left lane should have to explain it to the judge.

Then again, I come from the camp that says if you're the lead vehicle approaching the tunnels in the left lane at 15mph, we should legally be allowed to shoot out your tires.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
IMHO, the law shouldn't allow for writing tickets unless the vehicle can be demonstrated to be obstructing traffic, and then they should write some real *whoppers* -- using some sort of scale that is directly proportional to the number of driver-hours being wasted by their silliness, perhaps estimated using the number of miles of vehicles stopped in the resulting delay.

If you can successfully navigate on sketchy tires and AWD with some skill, fine. Conversely, a lousy driver with chains that's stuck in the left lane should have to explain it to the judge.

I tend to agree with your sentiments. I get the impression that when I-70 Mountain passes receive heavy snowfall and lots of vehicles get stuck in traffic, and CSP goes on accident alert, Troopers may have little desire (to say nothing of little time) to write a lot of tickets for bad tires, given all the other "stuff" they have to worry about (i.e. standing in the middle of the interstate with zero visibility arguing with people about why they can't wait for a cousin from Kansas to come tow their vehicle out of traffic, while simultaneously getting 3 more calls about nearby accidents piling up, etc etc)

But maybe I'm wrong, perhaps our resident expert could give us some insight on how CSP decides to write tickets re: bald tires.

Moosemedic

Look at these road conditions !

SERIOUSLY

How is this even called snow on the road?

mtn-snow-12vo-consolidated-011.jpg

Multiple Accidents On I-70, Trucks Driving Without Chains « CBS Denver

This is barely slush. If you can still see the paint on the asphalt it's NOT snow. There's NO REASON for this to be an issue. None at all.

"Truckers say they were caught off guard" Ummm...did the truckers miss the huge signs saying Truckers MUST (let's look that word up > MUST) carry chains posted all over the electronic overhead signs, and ...well, gee... when they pull into the port of entry on Interstate X, maybe they could look and see if they have chains in the truck there.

**** I'd be willing to bet that there are as many motorcycle and bicycle rider deaths on a sunny day in fall, and you don't hear them blaming the Severe Clear weather for accidents and deaths.

jim9251

I get one Denver channel here, was excited to see the reporter last night in 3 whole inches of snow. Worth the live shot. Anyway, here in the other Colorado fun to hear the disgruntled troopers work crashes on Red Mountain Pass, and Monarch Pass, and the poor guy who had to respond to Crested Butte from Montrose. Ah good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.