My Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd7fay

Premium Subscriber
How would I string up a decent antenna for HF reception with this property.
The red lines are power lines.
Several tall trees which are not climbable.
House has metal roof.

Thanks.

Attachments

• UNTITLED.jpg
    UNTITLED.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 727

wb6uqa

fit your property

1, Hex beam on roof. 2 g5rv between trees. 3. off center fed dipole . 4, end fed wire on roof to a tree 5..a loop around trees.6, vertical dipole on a tree.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
You can use an AirBoss to shoot monofilament line up over any of those trees, then pull paracord / dacron rope and the end of an antenna attached to the rope. However, you obviously do not want to cross a power line in case your antenna comes down. The distance between the tall pines in the NW and SE corners is about 85 feet... tough to do anything with an off-center fed dipole / Windom. But other wire possibilities might exist if you could use those trees for support. What's an AirBoss? Here -
AIR BOSS - Home
I have one and have used it multiple times quite successfully for my own antennas and our club's Field Day, JOTA, and contest activities.

kd7fay

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestions. I had been thinking a dipole or a length of wire between the pine trees and run one end into the house.

wb6uqa

I would build or buy a windom off center fed dipole. You should use coax between your antenna and radio.This type of antenna is broad band and covers more frequencies.

majoco

Stirrer
I have two OCFD's across the back of my house from one corner another. One leg 12metres, the other 6metres (40ft/20ft) and it goes well from 3Mhz to over 20MHz with a 9:1 unun at the centre to 50ohm coax. It would be quite inconspicuous if it wasn't for the mast in the centre with a cut-down TV antenna and a discone mounted on it.

Last edited:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I am a HUGE fan of the Windom / OCFD. I have two of them and they are spectacular performers for simple wire antennas. When I wrote "tough to do anything with an off-center fed dipole / Windom" I was referring to an OCFD that would cover 80-2M.... and be 137 feet end-to-end. Which is too long for the 85 feet between your pines. However, you could make a shorter version that would not cover as many bands.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Or you could use a Wellbrook or Pixel loop in the part of the yard that is tree covered but as far away from the power lines as possible. Low noise and low visibility is a real good combination

kd7fay what kind of radio are we talking about here? Mike

kd7fay

Premium Subscriber
I will check out all those suggestions.
The radio is an old Magnavox D2999 receiver. I would probably also try the antenna with my SDR dongle setup that has an upconverter.
The antenna will not be used for transmitting.

SCPD

QRT
+1 on getting a Wellbrook loop. Super small footprint with every bit the receive ability of much bigger stuff!

Nah it's not worth it for that receiver. I would use a simple random wire antenna. If you later invest in a newer receiver capable of true LSB/USB then consider upgrading your antenna. For now, it's not worth the cost.

ridgescan

Nah it's not worth it for that receiver. I would use a simple random wire antenna. If you later invest in a newer receiver capable of true LSB/USB then consider upgrading your antenna. For now, it's not worth the cost.
My '64 Zenith Royal 3000-1, the older Telefunken Opus 7, the Delmonico Novum, and my DX-160 do very well on that Wellbrook although the 3000-1 gets images between 8-9megs. But that is an easy trade-off for the nice reception across the bands including killer MW.

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
Oooooh - a Telefunken Opus 7 - the one with the two big speakers in front and two tweeters on the sides - sounds great - or even the smaller ones with just one speaker in front.... ooooh.

Rare as hen's teeth around here - I have managed to get a Blaupunkt that goes very well but it's only a basic model...I like the "Lost in Space" styling....

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

I don't know where you got the idea that the D2999 wasn't a good radio - in point of fact, Passport had it rated very highly at the time it was out. Just because it didn't have true USB / LSB did not disqualify it from being a good radio. It was, and it was a shame Magnavox didn't decide to keep it.

Now, to get back to topic, if the antenna were shown to overload the radio, or cause other issues. that's a completely different matter. That's an issue with RF design, and has nothing to do with USB / LSB capability.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to try it, and if it worked well enough in his environment, so much the better. Mike

SCPD

QRT
I don't know where you got the idea that the D2999 wasn't a good radio - in point of fact, Passport had it rated very highly at the time it was out. Just because it didn't have true USB / LSB did not disqualify it from being a good radio. It was, and it was a shame Magnavox didn't decide to keep it.

Thanks for putting words into my mouth Mike. I said nothing of the sort. I said it "wouldn't be worth it" as in "investment."

Why would anyone plunk down $400 on an antenna if you're not a serious shortwave listener. IMHO, for his money, a wire antenna is the best investment.

You can argue my definition of "serious listener" all you want but the Wellbrook is overkill if you're still using a BFO knob for SSB on a SW receiver.

Do I care if he spends $400 -- nope -- but he is the one asking... so there.

Fast1eddie

I remember those, a good performing portable receiver. Go with a end fed wire with a balun mounted as high as practical. Excellent (although somewhat directive) performance at a very reasonable cost. Or, buy a Par End Fed, the average retail is $79ish. My Par served me well for years and took it down when I got divorced. Now installed inside my second floor apartment feeding a active Stridesburg multicoupler distributing signals to a Icom R71A, Palstar R30 and AOR 3000. Excellent performance.

k9rzz

I've always opted for the cheap route for getting antenna supports up high in trees so I use string or fishing line attached to a golf ball (drill a hole through it) and launch it with a sling shot. Good for 60 to 70 feet. FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.