At wit's end - 'Sentinel Has Stopped Working'!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamDaughter

Hi, everyone - I am trying desperately to get my father's Uniden Sentinel BCDx36HP software to work and am at my wit's end!

He has a 6 month old Toshiba laptop with Windows 10. I installed the Sentinel software on the laptop a few months ago using the directions with the radio and everything has worked great up until a couple days ago (when he said he did some sort of Windows update or something). Now when we click the Sentinel icon, it immediately pops up a window that says 'Sentinel has stopped working - Windows is searching for a solution to the problem'. It sits there for like 3 seconds and then disappears and the program never loads.

I have re-started the laptop, run the Compatibility Troubleshooter, uninstalled and re-installed the software, rebooted, changed the settings so that he has full permissions, looked for Windows updates downloaded the software online and installed that way, etc etc etc . . . still does the same thing. And the 'Run as Administrator' box is grayed out so I can't try that. I have also read about a million different forum topics on this issue and most of them are chock full of stuff that I can't even comprehend (even though I'm actually fairly good with computers) - stuff about different Net versions or something. Can someone explain to me, in English, how to get this ridiculous software to start working again!? My dad and I are both pretty fed up and any help would be greatly appreciated!

HamDaughter

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
You can try this first,,,Go to programs and features... When it brings up the list of installed programs... Look for "Microsoft Net Framework... Select it and click the "Uninstall/Change"... Select "Repair" from the next popup window and click "Next" and let it fly and see what happens.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Can someone explain to me, in English, how to get this ridiculous software to start working again!? My dad and I are both pretty fed up and any help would be greatly appreciated!

HamDaughter

I don't understand your logic of blaming the "ridiculous software" for the problem when it was some unknown changes someone made to the computer that caused the software to stop working - but anyways....

Use the Windows "System Restore" function to revert the computer to a restore point that was before the time of the changes made to the computer that caused Sentinel to stop working.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand your logic of blaming the "ridiculous software" for the problem when it was some unknown changes someone made to the computer that caused the software to stop working - but anyways....

Use the Windows "System Restore" function to revert the computer to a restore point that was before the time of the changes made to the computer that caused Sentinel to stop working.

I agree... something in an update pooched it... It's already known sentinel will run fine on win10.

CalmWind

Is he running the latest version of Sentinel, version 1.03 I believe?

I have Windows 10 on one system and will test and post back.

Edit: My Windows 10 system seems to be behaving normally when running Sentinel.

If we knew what type of update it was or what type of message requested the update be done..

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber

That version I believe was released in Feb of 2015... Should be the latest... If that's what they have.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

The OP mentioned that they had downloaded the software online, so I assume they have the latest version.

There is no problem what so ever running Sentinel on Windows 10.

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...ndows-10-uniden-usb-driver-3.html#post2447169

Sentinel runs under Windows 10 with no issues.

HamDaughter

Thanks, everyone! Ok I went to the Programs and Features section, but there is no 'Microsoft Net Framework' . . . there is a line that says 'Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0', though - is that what I should try to 'repair'?

As for the version of software, I have no idea - like someone said, though, one of the times I tried to re-install it I downloaded it from the official website so hopefully it's the newest version.

So now my dad says he thinks it was an AVG anti-virus software update that he did a couple days ago - would this have screwed things up? Gonna go attempt a system restore - I'll let you know what happens!

HamDaughter

AAAaannnnddd my dad had the system restore off so there are no restore points . . . . *sigh* . . . so should I try to uninstall the last AVG update somehow? Or uninstall AVG and re-install it? Ideas?

Voyager

Might also try uninstalling and reinstalling Sentinel. Your data should remain intact (if it is currently intact).

Windows (especially Windows 7+) is known for updates breaking things.

CalmWind

What exactly is Sentinel doing when you try to open it. Is the radio connected or does it make a difference.

Are there any errors in the Event Viewer around the time you try to open the utility.

I agree reinstalling Sentinel may help. My way may not keep your user data but you should be able to reload that from the radio. I would uninstall the software first, reboot and then reinstall. Hopefully you have the downloaded software already on your system.

The Sentinel download I have shows BCDx36HP_Sentinel_Version_1_03_01.zip before it is extracted.

HopperD

Premium Subscriber
If none of the above recommendations work then you can try restoring your system to a date previous to the update. This will undo all of the updates that was installed and I'm sure everything will work again.

Voyager

Did you read post 9? I got torn a new one by a RR admin for suggesting a fix that was already dismissed, so you might want to amend your post before someone sees it.

HamDaughter

Hi, guys - thanks so much everyone for your input - I really do appreciate it, but . . . can you guys please actually read my posts before suggesting things? Most of your questions have already been answered and most of your suggestions have already been tried! Please at least read the whole thread before letting me know what you think! I certainly don't want to waste of your time!

Most of the new suggestions involved uninstalling and reinstalling - which I've done no fewer than 6 times - while rebooting, choosing different options, using the radio attached and not-attached, downloading new versions, etc etc etc . . .

It was also suggested to try System Restore, which I already explained can't be done because my dad had it turned off on his laptop.

Another suggestion was to download Net framework, which I have said that I know nothing about - once I download it, what do I do with it?

As I said in my very first post, Sentinel worked great for several months and then a couple days ago it started refusing to open - we double-click the icon and a window pops up that says 'Sentinel has stopped working Windows is searching for a resolution' and then the window disappears and nothing else happens. Sentinel doesn't open, Windows doesn't suggest a resolution, nothing.

I apparently don't know how to install it as an administrator - I tried to choose 'Run as Administrator' after it's installed, but that option is grayed out.

Any new relevant thoughts? :(

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I apparently don't know how to install it as an administrator - I tried to choose 'Run as Administrator' after it's installed, but that option is grayed out.

Any new relevant thoughts? :(

You can try installing sentinel as admin... Select the exe file with left mouse click and then right click and run as administrator. I don't think that will do anything but it doesn't hurt to try it.

HamDaughter

Tried that - there is no 'Run as Administrator' option . . . it just says Open, Paste, Properties, etc . . .

So no one has any idea what the problem is? How can a program work one day and then not work the next after an anti-virus update? Should I uninstall AVG and see if Sentinel works? And what's with all this 'Net Framework' stuff?

So disheartened . . . any new suggestions would be appreciated! Does Uniden have a customer support site or something?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Tried that - there is no 'Run as Administrator' option . . . it just says Open, Paste, Properties, etc . . .

So no one has any idea what the problem is? How can a program work one day and then not work the next after an anti-virus update? Should I uninstall AVG and see if Sentinel works? And what's with all this 'Net Framework' stuff?

So disheartened . . . any new suggestions would be appreciated! Does Uniden have a customer support site or something?

Just asking... Does the account your trying to load from have administrator rights?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Another suggestion was to download Net framework, which I have said that I know nothing about - once I download it, what do I do with it?

Sentinel version 1.03 requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. It sounds to me like there's a problem with the .NET Framework 2.0 not installed or in need of repair. I would first check that it's installed by typing or copy & paste
dir %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework/AD
in a Command prompt window.

Do you see v2.0.50727? if no then it needs to be installed. Once installed, you don't need to do anything else with the framework. Just run Sentinel.

[EDIT] You may also want to google "repair .net framework 2.0"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.