New windows 10 computer sdr sharp with dsd

Status
Not open for further replies.

seth21w

Ok I am stumped I have a windows 10 computer and a nooelec r820t dongle just 1. Ok I downloaded and unzipped sdr sharp, followed the steps and I can listen to fm radio through my speakers. so sdr sharp is working. dsd however I downloaded the 1.5 version, and it comes up but it isn't communicating with sdr sharp. I installed the vb virtual cable, as well I selected it as the audio, moved the frequency around some but nothing from dsd. What have I missed?

mrlindstrom

Premium Subscriber
Virtualbox is just a hypervisor package that lets you run virtual machines. You can install any OS you want in your virtual machine.

seth21w

Virtualbox is just a hypervisor package that lets you run virtual machines. You can install any OS you want in your virtual machine.

So I don't have to dual boot Ubuntu and windows, I install virtual box on my window computer, then install Ubuntu inside VirtualBox then gnu radio and op25 right. Sorry I'm a noob at Linux lol

mrlindstrom

Premium Subscriber
Technically yes. But if you read through that entire thread, you'll see that the performance (especially in Virtualbox) is not quite up to par with doing either a dedicated or dual boot setup. I have a setup using VMWare Workstation that works, but suffers from stuttering.

You can watch that setup here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxQeCzksDi4

seth21w

Technically yes. But if you read through that entire thread, you'll see that the performance (especially in Virtualbox) is not quite up to par with doing either a dedicated or dual boot setup. I have a setup using VMWare Workstation that works, but suffers from stuttering.

Is VMware better than virtualbox? Or the same, and how bad stuttering we talking about. Because dual boot is way over my head.

mrlindstrom

Premium Subscriber
Is VMware better than virtualbox? Or the same, and how bad stuttering we talking about. Because dual boot is way over my head.
I prefer it over Virtualbox, but Virtualbox is free and Workstation isn't. Check the video I put in my original reply to hear an example.

seth21w

I prefer it over Virtualbox, but Virtualbox is free and Workstation isn't. Check the video I put in my original reply to hear an example.

I watched your video earlier today before we spoke in researching and I figured it was a Linux computer or a dual boot on Ubuntu side, I didn't know it was a VMware workstation on a windows system.

seth21w

So I am going at this cheaply so virtualbox is what I will download and supposedly it works with 10 now so I have my fingers crossed I'll probably either be up all night or fry my laptop.

a417

...and VMWare isn't subject to the constant rumors that all the developers are on other projects, like Virtualbox is. VM is a for-profit product, so it makes sense to develop what you can to make money off it.

seth21w

You can watch that setup here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxQeCzksDi4

thank you mr lindstrom for a very instructional video, I got so caught up in the terminal, that I didn't watch it fully at first but I watched it all and by far your gnu op25 install video is the best. most others sound like foreign. lol thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.