delay in stream

Status
Not open for further replies.

relaytech

I stream an hf net and noticed the stream is about 50 seconds behind the live audio. is there anything i can do to get it a little closer to real time. i know i cant get it real time but i would like it a little closer.
thanks

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I stream an hf net and noticed the stream is about 50 seconds behind the live audio. is there anything i can do to get it a little closer to real time. i know i cant get it real time but i would like it a little closer.
thanks

Are you noticing it by listening with a Media Player? What type of Media Player? Check if it has any latency or network options you can change?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Broadcastify is set up as a public safety source for audio. Because of that everything is delayed for safety reasons. All feeds are about 30 seconds to a minute behind. Some of this is due to intentional delay on the server side and others are due to buffering on the user end.

At least thats how i have come to understand it.

richtidd

Database Admin
thanks

We do not delay any feed.

All feeds have a lag.
Assuming you're talking about the 15-45 second delay from your scanner and when the sound comes over the feed This is about the time it takes for the encoding process + the time for your computer to send it to the servers + the time for the servers to receive and process the data + the time for the servers to send it to your computer + the time for your computer to process the incoming data and convert it to sound.
Some lags are a bit longer or shorter than others.
Your mileage may very, and there are a number of other reasons why it might be a little less, or a little more. Just keep in mind that the lag is normal, to be expected, and will change based on load, your network connection, and other factors.
Feed owners have no control over a normal lag in the feeds.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
So public safety feeds have no lag introduced by broadcastify.
All the lag is due to normal technology operation?

Now i need to go thru my paperwork / notes because i was under the impression that for public safety there was an intentional short delay for safety reasons.

Or maybe im thinking of something else.

richtidd

Database Admin

Now i need to go thru my paperwork / notes because i was under the impression that for public safety there was an intentional short delay for safety reasons.

We do not add any delays to feeds. Any lag is due to network issues as described.

krokus

Premium Subscriber

Delays are specifically not allowed, unless you an official feed source. (Meaning the agency is streaming itself.) This topic has been discussed many times, and the site is steadfast in not allowing any intentional delays.

Sent via Tapatalk

MidLimNet

Hi, some late answer:
If you use Proscan you could listen with the ProScan Client software, that is nearly realtime, you can check it with the frequency which is showed in the same client. Maybe one second after the scanning stopped, the freq. is shown, you hear the audio.

Overhere Win MediaPlayer has always more latency then other Media Players.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
I was in my car listening to danbury conn fd on my scanner and put the feed on my phone app and it came over within 3 seconds after the scanner broadcast,so thats good timing there

kc49425

Feed Provider
Delays are specifically not allowed, unless you an official feed source. (Meaning the agency is streaming itself.) This topic has been discussed many times, and the site is steadfast in not allowing any intentional delays.

Sent via Tapatalk

Why only Official Feed Source? I cant find out why. Just cuz broadcastify doesn't allow it?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Why only Official Feed Source? I cant find out why. Just cuz broadcastify doesn't allow it?

Does ANY OTHER reason need to exist? Its OFFICIAL SITE POLICY. AKA that is the rules of the site. They do not need any other reasons, or have to explain the thought process behind an Corporate Operations decision. Does Wal Mart tell you every thing about every decision they make in Ops Procedures? How about Intel? Apple? Not being an butt head, just telling you the way it is.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Exactly. Whenever anyone challenges the wisdom, all we are told is that the management knows better than the rest of us, and that the decision has been made.

Sent using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.