• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VX-456 Programming Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

usa132

Hello,

I have just purchased a fleet of VX-456 to slowly replace my VX-426s.

The radios were programmed onto my channels (as well as CB), however we have had to add a Tone to our repeater and I need to modify the handhelds to do so. I can't seem to find it on the web, it looks like it is an Australian model only.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

usa132

I believe this is the CE144 software version.

I am still looking for the software if anybody has access to it/knows where I should look?

Thanks

Oldhoon

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

wa2chj

The only other place I've seen Vertex software is on some of the auction sites where it's on DVD. I don't know about that particular version, or revision. At least on the Vertex site, it's always the latest Rev. I highly suggest going the Vertex route. Another possibility is The Antenna Farm. They will sell you the cable and give you the software with it...if they have that version.
Now that's a long distance move! I moved here from Upstate NY and lived here from 1995-2000 then moved to Connecticut. Just moved back down here two years ago.
Tell your son to get prepared...they're predicting the possibility of up to a foot of snow here on Friday, and no one knows how to drive on that. Also the stores sell out of everything right before a predicted storm.

Scott

usa132

Sorry for the slow response.....I never ended up finding the software, however I found a Manufacturer password that enabled one of the other versions of software to program the channel memories, but not the special functions.

I wrote down how I did it somewhere on my computer, so I'll dig that up and post it here ASAP (Feel free to bump the thread if I forget...crazy busy here!)

I also signed up to many different sites and contacted the admins seeing if they had access, so I might revisit there and see if they have it now that its been a little while.

Will post back soon

Oldhoon

Premium Subscriber
CE-144 found and working fine

you can get it now from the Vertex Radio Group site, they put it up a few days ago

works on VX456 and VX4600CB australian radios

usa132

CE-144 found and working fine

you can get it now from the Vertex Radio Group site, they put it up a few days ago

works on VX456 and VX4600CB australian radios

Thought I would forget to post how I did it....
But thank you so much for letting us know of this link! Bought the premium membership a while ago just to find this.

Will be trying it out tomorrow - thanks to anyone/whoever it was that was able to post it to the site, and thanks Oldhoon for finding it.

Cheers

usa132

Unfortunately, the software uploading to the VRG is the CB version and doesn't allow me to program my licensed frequencies. I think its also bricked one of my models - so a warning to those with commercial models that allow more than CB to be programmed.

Anyone have the firmware for the non-CB version and/or a way to program the non-CB version for my licensed private channels?

Thanks

KK4ELO

The right version is easily found on the vertex website originally mentioned. It is free and only takes a few minutes to get what you need. I did it and downloaded everything I needed that day. No need for beating around the bush to get authentic software.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

usa132

The right version is easily found on the vertex website originally mentioned. It is free and only takes a few minutes to get what you need. I did it and downloaded everything I needed that day. No need for beating around the bush to get authentic software.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Will give it a go..Hopefully Vertex respond soon, still waiting for an account to be activated.

Cheers

Oldhoon

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, the software uploading to the VRG is the CB version and doesn't allow me to program my licensed frequencies. I think its also bricked one of my models - so a warning to those with commercial models that allow more than CB to be programmed.

Anyone have the firmware for the non-CB version and/or a way to program the non-CB version for my licensed private channels?

Thanks

If its the Australian radio CE-144 should work.
Did it let you in to the radio? if it did then it will work.
You need to use the engineering password to unlock the private frequency tab(I did the same on the 4600CB)

I don't have the details on me at work but do at home :)
-eng and then enter a password........ will post it later.

BM

usa132

If its the Australian radio CE-144 should work.
Did it let you in to the radio? if it did then it will work.
You need to use the engineering password to unlock the private frequency tab(I did the same on the 4600CB)

I don't have the details on me at work but do at home :)
-eng and then enter a password........ will post it later.

BM

I did try engineering mode using the password "pasuwa-do" from the other versions of software but worked for this too. Couldn't see the additional private frequency tab, but I'll give it another go - just need to find a new windows computer, mine has just died! :(

Is that the right password? Thanks

Oldhoon

Premium Subscriber
I did try engineering mode using the password "pasuwa-do" from the other versions of software but worked for this too. Couldn't see the additional private frequency tab, but I'll give it another go - just need to find a new windows computer, mine has just died! :(

Is that the right password? Thanks

Yep thats it.

Mine had the CB frequencies tab and another for private ones and another for 16 receive only frequencies.

usa132

Thanks guys for all your help.

I've got it programming private frequencies now, but I can't seem to get the function buttons working.

My software lists buttons like:

P1, P2 etc and MIC-A, MIC-B etc.

Setting any of them doesn't seem to work on the radio, and same with uploading - none of the options change after uploading settings from the radio.

Similarly, when trying to restore to factory settings, the software says my radio files are "corrupt". I think I need a firmware reset and just start fresh. Does anyone have the firmware?

Thanks

usa132

Ok scrap that, I realised I was in "Mobile" mode not "Portable". However, when changing to "Portable", I completely lose the "LMR" tab, even when opening in Engineering mode.

Are you guys in Portable mode WITH the LMR tab? If so, I must be missing something silly here...Any other passwords/modes?

Oldhoon

Premium Subscriber
Ok scrap that, I realised I was in "Mobile" mode not "Portable". However, when changing to "Portable", I completely lose the "LMR" tab, even when opening in Engineering mode.

Are you guys in Portable mode WITH the LMR tab? If so, I must be missing something silly here...Any other passwords/modes?

I'm using Mobile units so cant offer any assistance: whats the difference in operation by using either mode?

Vertex VX4600 (USA)
Vertex VX4600CB (Ausi)

usa132

I'm using Mobile units so cant offer any assistance: whats the difference in operation by using either mode?

Vertex VX4600 (USA)
Vertex VX4600CB (Ausi)

I am able to program frequencies into my Portable unit (the VX-456) using the Mobile mode, however I can't program any of the additional functions or buttons. I guess that would be the only difference. I've sent an email to the awesome guys at Vertex Radio Group who are trying to give me a hand and have also tried to get in contact with Vertex themselves, however they don't seem to keen to talk to me!

Will let you know how I go, but any further tips or help are always appreciated. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.