• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

LMR mobile radio with APO

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Does anyone have any recommendations for a Land Mobile Radio with a Auto Power Off feature?

Cheers,

Brandon

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm not aware of any, but that doesn't mean much.

Usually the mobiles have an ignition sense line that gets hooked up to a ignition switched circuit in the vehicle. Many mobiles can be programmed to turn on/off with the ignition. The Kenwood's I own have a programmable timer that you can program to turn off at a specific time after the ignition is switched off.

You could get something like a Lind shutdown timer and just install a trigger button somewhere near the radio. Set up the timer to shut off at your desired duration. Use the trigger button to send 12 volts to start the timer.

sfd119

Chargeguard to an ignition sense wire would work, if this was in a vehicle.

Boatanchor

Simoco does.

SRM9000 series etc.

Programmable 'off' timer activated after last user input (channel change, function activation or PTT etc).
Works well.

I'm sure others have a similar ability if you delve deeply enough into the programming software.

N4KVE

Motorola MCS2000. I have a few, but never noticed the setting. I used the radio in the car, & never noticed anything strange, but when I moved it into the house, I noticed it would be off after 4 hours. I never was in the car for 4 hours at a time, so this never happened. I went into the CPS, noticed the setting, & set it to infinite. Great radio by the way.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I thought I would revisit this topic and see if there were any more ideas or suggestions. Looking for radios to be using in a farming application where they get turned on and then possible left on for days or a week until the piece of equipment is used next. By that time the battery is well dead.

Cheers,

Brandon

Wiregeek

This sounds like a very good application for ignition sense, or a ChargeGuard - connect the ignition sense input for the ChargeGuard to a momentary button. Push button to receive (whatever the ChargeGuard is set for) of radio on time.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I will have to look into the ChargeGuard setup a little more. All of our equipment had some sort of master toggle or ignition toggle of some sort. We could do the ignition controlled circuit but then you can't have the radio on to monitor or talk on without leaving the key on.

Cheers,

Brandon

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I will have to look into the ChargeGuard setup a little more. All of our equipment had some sort of master toggle or ignition toggle of some sort. We could do the ignition controlled circuit but then you can't have the radio on to monitor or talk on without leaving the key on.

OK, Then that is what the ChargeGuard is for, either that, or get a radio that has the function built in.
You can set the timer to run as long as you need, usually up to a few hours, after ignition goes off. Some even have a "reset" switch that will reset the timer if you want to use it longer.

I've been picking up Lind timers off e-bay for in the $20 range. They'll do what you want, but there are many different brands out there. Lind SDT1230 016 12VDC Terminal Block Time Delay 12min to 18 Hrs Shut Down Timer | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ChargeGuard...110858?hash=item3f40809f4a:g:G6QAAOSwyTZUYX5k

Here ya' go, $19.95 with FREE shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Havis-Charg...627984?hash=item46448a5850:g:B5MAAOSwFGNWRQFo

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
I have used AC DC Industries MZL-90's for years as standard power distribution for fire and police upfits. I get our of my own truck and 15 minutes later everything shuts down. Three days later it starts without grumbling. Excellent results.

Good for the whole vehicle and no sneaky current drain when off.

If that is too much, https://www.tessco.com/products/group/90285/subgroup/90522 has 25 similar products.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Are these devices made to mount inside the cab or can they be mounted under the hood without any issues?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
It actually depends on what you're mounting in. I've found most John Deere equipment made in the last 16 years has come from the factory with the "Business Band Radio" option (it's an option though so not all will have it). The factory wiring harness (not recommend for use with radios over 25W) is wired through ignition. You can also pull direct off of the primary ignition circuits (I've done this on a few 90's era strippers) and run to the cab. (This is also assuming a 12V system).

If running more modern GM trucks, they have what's called RAPs (Retained Accessory Power) which leaves accessories powered for either a set amount of time (until the driver's door is opened) or on the newer trucks until the controller detects a voltage fluctuation.

Finial note, I live in Texas...if the air conditioner is not on, chances are extremely high no one will be in the equipment being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.