• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1250 vs Saber reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for some advice on the Ht1250 and the Saber. I will be using the radio for direct GMRS (no repeater use in the near future) and 2-3 channels of receive only of local FDs.
I have used the 1250's before and liked them. Didn't use them for GMRS though. Had them at my old work and they were on a repeater. Never used a Saber. I heard and read they are workhorses though.
My question is which would be better for reception and transmitting ability?
The 1250s are still pricey used. ($150-$200) The Sabers are a bit less now. So if the Saber is just as good or better I would go that route. But if the 1250s are better I don't mind spending the extra money for them.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Sabers aren't legal to use anymore in the US except for amateur or marine usage. They are not narrowband compliant and can't be programmed to narrowband operation. The FCC made a rule change that took effect in 2013 making it illegal to transmit with non-narrowband compliant radios after a certain date.

That being said, I consider the Saber to be the best analog radio ever made. The HT1250 is a good radio as well.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
Well that is a game changer. Thanks for the info.

RodStrong

Probably a Ford vs. Chevy argument, and I agree with the other poster that the Saber series are great radios., and probably overall better radios.

That said, I'd use a HT1250 due to it's much smaller size, it being more modern, parts/accessories are everywhere and super easy to come by, windows based programming, more radio shops can likely work on them, etc. Although the Sabers are probably better overall quality radios, the HT1250's are decent enough, more practical (IMO), and should serve you fine.

Just an opinion though. Subject to being shredded by the next guy.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
FFPM571: Thank you for the clarification. That would explain why I have seen several Sabers on different sites marketed toward GMRS operation. And that is why I posted the question. If places are marketing them towards GMRS than maybe they are really good radios. Or just a sales tactic to get rid of inventory they have of older radios they can't use for commercial radio services.

Rod Strong: Funny you should mention Ford vs Chevy. After I wrote it and posted it, I re-read it to make sure it sounded ok and after I did I thought to my self this could turn into a battle royal between everyone. But I do take everyone's opinion into consideration while making a decision and you mentioned a few good points about the 1250. So Thank you.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
As another individual mentioned your looking at older vs newer technology.
That being said theres a lot more people, your self may or may not be included who can program the HT1250 vs an old saber who needs a DOS set up.
BUT if your not worried about that, lets not rule out the HT1000 or MT/MTS2000.
I was and am still in love with my MTS2000. Its no APX but still reliable, great accessories and is a work horse in my opinion.
I still have my original UHF HT1550XLS from the dealer Promo back in early 2000 when dealers had the chance to get a VHF and UHF for almost cost. Talk about old firmware. LOL

The HT1250 is an excellent radio and will allow you future (narrow band) capabilities so you might want to go that route.
Oh and 100-200 bucks for a good solid radio is cheap.
I paid almost 3K for my APX a few years ago.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
Lol. Funny things is many years ago I bought the RSS for the HT1000 series radios and programmed a few of them with an old DOS laptop. Still have it. I am getting older and my memory isn't like it was so I like having a screen to display what channel I am on. So I don't want the HT1000s anymore. Even though those are tremendous radios.
I do like the MT2000s but don't have the software for them. I wouldn't mind getting software for those or the Sabers but I doubt I can buy the saber software from Motorola anymore.
I do like the 1250/1550 series radios but again don't have software. I do have a radio shop I have used in the past and I am sure is more than willing to program for me, if I go that route.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
As long as software is no longer supported by Motorola then its ok to go find it and download it.

N4KVE

Everything stated above is true, but the Saber is 10 times the radio a 1250 is. Sabers were originally sold to the Feds, 3 letter agencies, etc. Waris radios, 750's, 1250's etc were sold to anybody. But Sabers [because of narrowband] can now only be used on GMRS, ham, etc. I would look for MTS2000 radios which are under $75, & in my opinion far superior to the Waris line, & because Motorola no longer sells the CPS, it's free to get on line. I still have a System Saber which is the bast radio of it's time.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Sabers aren't legal to use anymore in the US except for amateur or marine usage. They are not narrowband compliant and can't be programmed to narrowband operation. The FCC made a rule change that took effect in 2013 making it illegal to transmit with non-narrowband compliant radios after a certain date.

That being said, I consider the Saber to be the best analog radio ever made. The HT1250 is a good radio as well.

As already been pointed out, GMRS did not narrrowband. It should also be pointed out (though this discussion is about 462/467 MHz) that low band did not have to narrowband nor did T-band (NYPD still has some Systems Sabers in service).

It should also be noted that the Saber III and Systems Saber were dual accepted for both Part 90 and 95A (though the general concensus is as long are running quality Part 90 equipment the commission is okay with it on 95A).

The Saber has arguably one of the best front ends Motorola ever put in a hand held. However, it programs in DOS, is a little finicky about processor speed, etc.

In the late 90's Motorola revamped the Saber line with the digital capable Astro Saber. These radios are a little easier to deal with (programming in Windows for one) but use the same accessories as the analog Sabers.

What you loose in first gen Astro radios is that Motorola for some unknown reason dropped MPL from the radios (even on the Astro Spectra). If you look at an Astro 25 radio (second gen Astro), including the Astro Spectra Plus, MPL is again a feature.

If it were me, I'd try an get my hands on some Astro Sabers as they'll narrowband, are digital capable (if you want to monitor someone running P25), and are easier to program (I use 32 bit Win 7) and have a nice GUI CPS.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
Thank you everyone for their input. Some valuable information has been explained.
Sounds like I couldn't go wrong with either one but the saber looks like the winner.
Now it just comes down to which one I can get 2-3 of for a good price.
Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.