Lockheed taking over TrailMark fire Services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve2003

Saw this come in via NextDoor today:

From: Mark Barons, City of Littleton Community Development

Rumor: Is it true that a fire station is being planned for TrailMark?

Answer: Yes. TrailMark is a neighborhood within the City of Littleton where concerns about service delivery (snow plowing, fire and EMS response, parks and trails) have persisted for many years. TrailMark is located a significant distance away from existing city services and the challenge has been to address the appropriate long-term level of service delivery.

Lockheed Martin has been in discussion with the city to take over fire/medical services in March, 2016. Staff has been working for most of the year on the feasibility of constructing a building to house fire/medical, an office for law enforcement and additional bays and space for public works, police, and South Suburban Parks and Recreation for maintenance. Staff expects to bring a construction contract, a contract with Lockheed (for medical and fire response), and the appropriations request to the city council at its December 1 meeting.

Discussions are ongoing but capital and operational costs are expected to be divided between Lockheed Martin, the City of Littleton, and the Littleton Fire Protection District.

And Littleton residents have this on their ballot:
Ballot Question 2P:
Shall Section 104 of the Littleton City Charter be amended to delete the requirements that the City provide health services and a volunteer fire department?

Coincidence this email came out right before the election...

MikeyB

Fascinating info. Nextdoor is like Facebook but it is supposed to be confined to this who live in the actual neighborhood - and they do verification that you have an address in that neighborhood.

Steve2003 - Can you keep us up-to-date on the discussions on the Trailmark nextdoor site about this? I'm wondering why they would build a station and staff it Lockheed? I would assume they'd just use the existing Lockheed station down the road? Maybe Lockheed's moving their station off-campus and looking to save some money?

MikeyB

There's a snippet about this on the Trailmark website. After reading this and rereading the nextdoor post, it sounds like Littleton would be building a station, and that Littleton station would respond to the Lockheed Martin facility (presumably so that they would close down their department), not the other way around.

Toneslider12

A suburban location near a metropolitan area
Now that Littleton Fire Station #19 has opened, does anybody know if Lockheed Martin has closed their fire department?

My understanding is that some fire apparatus will remain at Lockheed and the security personnel can assist LFR if needed. I heard that Squrt 101 and Brush 101 will be refurbished and used by LFR. Engine 102, Tender 101, Medic 101 and Brush 106 may remain up there or sold.

lazierfan

Feed Provider
I can see in my mind a business model of outsourcing FF services and going back and using those services for their own coverage as well as Trailmark, constructing a station and service bays off the LM campus. There is also a significant need for Red-carded FF and search and rescue, not LM's specialty. but they do bring significant Haz-Mat handling experience to the table.

Its good PR and they have significantly less liability, so the LM lawyers are happy.

Just a brain exercise.

lazierfan

Feed Provider
EMS comes down from Station 14 to Roxborough, and vice-versa, 15's goes up to provide EMS to Ken-Caryl. They pass Trailmark in the process of their response.

But that's EMS.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I can see in my mind a business model of outsourcing FF services and going back and using those services for their own coverage as well as Trailmark, constructing a station and service bays off the LM campus. There is also a significant need for Red-carded FF and search and rescue, not LM's specialty. but they do bring significant Haz-Mat handling experience to the table.

Its good PR and they have significantly less liability, so the LM lawyers are happy.

Just a brain exercise.

When you say significantly less liability, are you thinking of work comp claims from the firefighters? If you were employed by LM as a firefighter, you cannot sue LM for any injuries occurring in the course/scope of employment, you can only file a work comp claim (and the Colorado Workers' Compensation system is very employer friendly with substantial limits on compensation, although Firefighters employed by a regular fire department have a different work comp system). But maybe you were thinking of some other type of liability.

Obviously, LM would stop paying the costs of running a fire station, which was presumably not cheap to operate in any event.

lazierfan

Feed Provider
When you say significantly less liability, are you thinking of work comp claims from the firefighters? If you were employed by LM as a firefighter, you cannot sue LM for any injuries occurring in the course/scope of employment, you can only file a work comp claim (and the Colorado Workers' Compensation system is very employer friendly with substantial limits on compensation, although Firefighters employed by a regular fire department have a different work comp system). But maybe you were thinking of some other type of liability.

Obviously, LM would stop paying the costs of running a fire station, which was presumably not cheap to operate in any event.
I am thinking about a scenario where if a patient or a homeowner hears that a private fire department worked on putting out the fire or treating a patient, the patient may think they can turn around and sue if they find an operational mistake.

Advantage of sourcing out the department. LM foots the bill but writes into that agreement less, if any, liability.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I am thinking about a scenario where if a patient or a homeowner hears that a private fire department worked on putting out the fire or treating a patient, the patient may think they can turn around and sue if they find an operational mistake.

Advantage of sourcing out the department. LM foots the bill but writes into that agreement less, if any, liability.

Well, did the LM fire department respond to calls outside of LM facilities?

MikeyB

I think the initial posting, but my understanding is Lockheed Martin is now contracting (sharing the cost of the operation of Station 19) with Littleton Fire to protect the LM plant, not the other way around (it's not a private fire department operated by Lockheed Martin). I think the initial posting implied that Lockheed Martin would staff the station and provide services to Trailmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.