Icom R75 new Unit Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deboradio

Gentlemen, I am in the market for a new R75,and I see that the Japanese units on ebay are more expensive than the American ebay units by as much as 200 - 300 USD.

I wonder why this is so.

Is there any benefit to get a Japanese unit rather than a US unit given the price difference?

Is the higher Japanese price due to taxation or other external charges?

Are the US units earlier units?

Do the Japanese units have some options installed?

When I visited Tokyo in August the price was around 60,000 Yen which was quite a bit lower than the price quoted on ebay, however I was told at the shop, that these units are for Japan only, so are not allowed to be exported.

SCPD

QRT
When I visited Tokyo in August the price was around 60,000 Yen which was quite a bit lower than the price quoted on ebay, however I was told at the shop, that these units are for Japan only, so are not allowed to be exported.

That's because there's no warranty outside of Japan. If you buy one from E-Bay then it's possible that ICOM USA won't even service it.

HRO has them for $619.95 with a discount.

IMHO, the R75 is not a good investment especially because of the SDR options that exist today. ICOM is well aware of its popularity and will keep selling it at the current price until users stop buying it.

Set up a notification in E-Bay to alert you when an used R75 comes available or bite the bullet and pay the retail price.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I've seen the same listings you have. Spend some time with ebay, and you'll see other examples of price gouging, which is what this is an example of. In many cases, these sellers don't even have inventory of the items they sell. They'll take your order at the inflated price, then order the item from an established retailer and have it shipped directly to you, pocketing the difference. In some cases, the photos of the items they show in the listings are copied directly from Amazon, or from the manufacturer's website. You're much better off shopping with a reputable retailer with an online presence, such as Universal Radio, or any one of a number of ham radio suppliers that also offer receivers.

Be aware, too, that some ebay items are sold as new, and others are used. You can't readily compare prices in that instance. You could certainly pick up a used unit in excellent condition for far less than these Japanese sellers are charging.

The only international variations of the R75 would likely be in frequency coverage, and not features.

SCPD

QRT
The only international variations of the R75 would likely be in frequency coverage, and not features.

The "Asian" version only goes up to 30Mhz while the other versions go up to 60Mhz. I believe the Japan/USA models are the same specification.

dkf435

Got lucky last month and one popped up locally on Craigslist for a very good price and grabbed it , had DSP installed and synchronous AM detection. So have it added to the R71, R72 collection, now if I can remember where I put the IR remote control unit.

Just looked at Ebay and 3 on there in $400 or less range with one from an estate. Be careful of some versions from Europe also as some left out DC capability or the broadcast bands that needed a license paid to listen.

David

invergordon

I contacted ICOM here in New Zealand for a price on a new R-75 only to be told that ICOM Japan had advised ICOM New Zealand that they had discontinued the 75 line and no more would be shipped!

Mike

Turbo68

Hi icom australia doesnt have it on there website anymore got 2 of these receivers one from australia without the dsp performance is excellent other from the states with the dsp but performance is not as good in fact i dont like the dsp frequency coverage on both is the same also have same with the alinco got the E & T models and both perform different.

Regards Lino.

Status
Not open for further replies.