800Mhz Antenna HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasondcannon

Premium Subscriber
I am currently using a Uniden BCD536HP scanner as well as multiple RTL-SDR Blog dongles. I have found with the BCD536HP that I have to get the stock telescopic antenna aimed in a near perfect direction to pick up Nashville P25 800Mhz transmissions. It has to be precise within less than an inch or the reception is almost non-existent. I recently purchased three SDR dongles to mess around with and have Unitrunker/DSDPlus setup and working. With the included telescopic antennas I faced similar issues where they require precise aiming to get reception. Unfortunately it seems the SDR dongles are much more sensitive and the telescopic antennas just wouldn't work out for the P25 channels. The best I could get is around 70 health when placed in an exact location/direction, which left the transmissions mostly garbled. I purchased a (supposed) 800Mhz antenna (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CbIkq0JCL.jpg) and found that the reception was no better than with the telescopic antennas. I tried placing it everywhere possible, including standing on my head. I am pulling my hair out with this and want to get the proper antenna to make this work. Please advise on what I should purchase. Thanks!

pcjackson06

I too am interested in 800Mhz antenna suggestions. I like on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and listen to Upper Maryland Eastern Shore Consortium and Maryland FiRST (P25 II). Just picked up a BCD436H and BCD996P2. I have coax running to the attic, and would be interested in using that to facilitate the connection with the desktop scanner.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
The antenna shown requires a ground plane (otherwise it isn't much different from the telescoping whip). Did you add the ground plane? Can't tell from the picture but it might not be designed for 800 MHz.
BB

jasondcannon

Premium Subscriber
It specifically said it was for 800Mhz. I did put it on a cookie sheet and saw 0 difference in reception quality. Forgive my ignorance if that's not what should be used for a ground plane, I had just seen it used in other posts. The antenna does have a magnetic base.

N5TWB

I think you may have two things going on:

1) Is the system you're trying to receive a known simulcast system? The symptoms you describe make it seem like it might be. If so, the best solution is a Yagi antenna pointed directly at the closest known tower so the signal is stronger while rejecting the other simultaneous signals not in that direction.

2) Alternatively, elevation is the next best solution, i.e. higher is better. This also requires a low-loss cable for the longer cable run.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
You should try to put your antenna out side if not all ready,the beam like N5TWB said that would be a better bet for you ether way antennas work a lot better out side and higher the better if you can do it that way good luck.........

jasondcannon

Premium Subscriber
The antennas that I have are not outdoor antennas unfortunately. I did walk outside with my laptop and did not see any difference in signal quality.

teufler

teufler

The antenna from Amazon would work for a dedicated one direction antenna. If you are far out of the city, this would work good or if you have multicast issues, the beam would help. Price is good, though you will need to replace or get an adapter to go from N to what ever you need. Adapter run from $3.00 to $7.00 depending on who is selling. Now if you need omni directional coverage, base antennas will be $40.00 and up.

jasondcannon

Premium Subscriber
I'm actually right in the metro area and suspect I can hear multiple antennas. I'll give it a shot, Amazon has a great return policy. =)

N5TWB

Yes, that's what you're looking for. It would cost more but I'd recommend the Wilson antenna that's further down that page. Wilson is a known good supplier for the cellular/wireless industry.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electr..._cp_107_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=07TCA8VH3ZC6Z9NN7BWH

jasondcannon

Premium Subscriber

ninthwonder4

Thinking about getting the same antenna. I'm just not familiar with what kind of cable to get. Anyone can point me in the right direction. Hooking it up to a PSR 500 BNC

SCPD

QRT
Thinking about getting the same antenna. I'm just not familiar with what kind of cable to get. Anyone can point me in the right direction. Hooking it up to a PSR 500 BNC

Call Cablexperts.com (or order online) and ask for LMR-240 with a male NMO and male BNC connectors on the ends -- at whatever length you need.

Keep the length of coax as short as possible. If you're going over 100ft then you'll need LMR-400.

Status
Not open for further replies.