Whatcom/Skagit Co. WSP > P25?

Status
Not open for further replies.

john98225

Last Sunday (Oct. 25) I noticed WSP's VHF freqs for Skagit and Whatcom County were quiet (except for weird birdie noises from time to time). And, haven't heard a thing on the old freqs since. Soooo, does anyone know (for sure) if they have switched to digital P25? And, most importantly if they have, is it PI or PII?

code3kid

They've transitioned to the Justice Intergrated wireless network VHF Phase 1 trunking system. WSP Bellingham dispatch is talkgroup e93c. WSP traffic has also been heard on talkgroup e93e. These talkgroups will most likely be heard on site 1 Bellingham and site 2 Blaine.

john98225

Thanks, code3kid

Thank you for that info! I guess I still need help, I downloaded the data (from RR using FreeScan) into my Uniden BCD996XT, but I still don't hear Bellingham (or any) WSP. Also, the software shows various TGID numbers for WSP's District 7 (like 59701, 59702, 59708, etc.), but I can't find any references to talkgroup e93c or e93e, like you mentioned. I have both the Bellingham and Blaine sites enabled with the others locked out. Any chance you have a suggestion or two?

mke65

they are moving to p2 as is most of the puget sound region. My understanding is they will be on a system which will allow clean cross county communication between the regions counties. If interested I have a good deal on a p2 scanner which I can deliver to you.

code3kid

e93c is 59708 in hexadecimal form e93e is 59710 is hexadecimal form. I have my scanners set to hex mode instead of decimal because it's easier to enter and memorize I would stay away from free scan and just do it manually. Check Bellingham and Blaine sites, make sure the control channels are correct and leave the scanner set for talkgroup search not talkgroup scan.

john98225

Hearing Mt. Vernon

Thanks again. Okay, I'm hearing Mt. Vernon traffic loud and clear, but so far nothing for/from Bellingham (where I live). BTW, someone else replied with a warning that WSP was headed to Phase II ... do you know if that's correct?

code3kid

The JIWN VHF system will not be going P II. In King and pierce county the JIWN is patched to a 700mhz P II simulcast system. you'll hear the same WSP talkgroups on both systems. But to my knowledge they are not planning on expanding the P II system.

code3kid

Also congrats on the success! Also what TG did you hear Mt Vernon patrols on?

john98225

Actually I wanted to confirm before I got back to you, but I believe Mt. Vernon was on 59710. I'm not receiving any traffic today so far - Mt. Vernon or Bellingham.

john98225

hey code3kid, I'm still not hearing anything today ... I've done so many tweaks, I'm not sure what's what any more. Do you happen to know if the system "type" is supposed to be a "Mot Type II / P25" or a "P25 Standard" (using my Uniden BCD996XT)?

code3kid

P25 standard trunk. Also make sure you're not holding on a site. This is a very fresh switchover so they may still have some kinks to work out. Might wana check the old conventional freqs in case they went back.

john98225

Thanks. Yea, I've been monitoring the old VHF, both the regular and car-to-car freqs for Whatcom & Skagit Counties but heard nada.

john98225

How about toggling on either "Use Motorola End Code" or "Use Digital Motorola End Code"? (FreeScan puts them both on by default.)

code3kid

Sounds like something is wrong with the free scan download because in P25 standard systems the end code setting shouldn't even come up. End code settings only apply to MOT systems.

code3kid

Personally I would just manually create a p25 standard system, create 2 sites: Blaine 167.3125 and Bellingham 167.2375 make sure they're both unlocked, don't mess with the band plan cause it should fill in automatically from control channel data, and set the system to ID search

john98225

From what I read, FreeScan automatically changes the type to Mot on these Uniden scanners. Wish I knew enough to just manually program it!

[ Here's what RR says: With the BCD396T & BCD996T, P25 sites are created as "Motorola Type II / Mot Type II - P25". On the BCD396XT and BCD996XT however, this site type is not available (and vice versa), and instead P25 systems/sites are created as "P25 Standard". By default, FreeSCAN will always creates a P25 system as a Motorola. In contrast, XT scanners use systems called P25 Standard. Depending on the type of scanner you are uploading to, FreeSCAN will change the system type during the upload. For example, when a Motorola Type II / P25 System is uploaded to an 396XT, FreeSCAN will change the system type to P25 Standard automatically. ]

john98225

Personally I would just manually create a p25 standard system, create 2 sites: Blaine 167.3125 and Bellingham 167.2375 make sure they're both unlocked, don't mess with the band plan cause it should fill in automatically from control channel data, and set the system to ID search

I'll give it a try.

code3kid

Hmm well I've never used free scan. I have a BCT396XT that I program manually. So I don't really know how effective of a program it is. It may just pay off in the long run to just play around in your settings and get familiar with them so you can manually program. When it comes to computer programming I'm kinda out of my element. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

john98225

Okay, created the new system as you recommended (still using FreeScan, though) ... had to un-tick the "Use Motorola End Code" and "Use Digital Motorola End Code" boxes which defaulted on, even though it's a "P25 Standard (Digital XT)" type system.

Status
Not open for further replies.