CSPD Shooting, 4 dead, as paged

Status
Not open for further replies.

04Z1V6

Allow national concealed carry and those afraid of seeing a firearms will not see them. Social media is just a debate for anything, even in communist country's.Don't start making criminals out of good people with no bad intent. The people walking around with rifles strapped to there backs in a town are just jerks looking for a reaction and the press will do and say anything to push there anti gun agenda. If I am loading my guns up to go out for the weekend I don't see any reason for a police response at all.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
FYI I wasn't implying police should have been dispatched, just trying to confirm if they were or not (it seems pretty safe to say they weren't) In the Denver-metro area it seems like most agencies will dispatch units to virtually any call about a party with a gun in public, even if it's just for an "area check".

In this case, it will be interesting to hear the tape of what the RP reported to the calltaker.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Colorado Springs police release tape of 911 call warning of man with gun - The Denver Post

It's always difficult to judge a situation solely based the information known at the time, while putting aside whatever terrible events transpired afterwards.

But, forgetting about what happened afterwords, was this call properly characterized as a burg in progress at an apparently unoccupied building?

(It should go without that police supervisors or internal affairs investigators are supposed to evaluate whether Departmental policies were followed, based solely on the information known by the responding officers/dispatchers at the time in question. Hopefully media talking heads will at least try to make efforts to comprehend this distinction...)

04Z1V6

I was responding mostly to the article. I thought it was a little wrong that it was dispatched as a burglary in progress and not a armed robbery at best. We should not forget that we have no idea what was on the officers dispatch notes on the screen in the car. Its a little unknown to most how a department prioritize. How many times when someone calls into Douglas County about a hazardous driver do you hear " BR4 " there code for we are not going to respond, even thou three times as many people die from car crashes then do by violent crime every year. They just can't be everywhere all the time.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Allow national concealed carry and those afraid of seeing a firearms will not see them.
Am trying to sort out what that means. It's not like there are problems in obtaining a concealed carry permit in Colorado Springs .. assuming of course that one is permitted to carry a firearm at all.

04Z1V6

Basically that is what it means. If you are legally allowed to own a firearm you are allowed to carry concealed . It is also called Constitutional carry. Kansas recently past this in there state.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
I guess I'm still struggling to understand the relevance of that to the situation that occurred in Colorado Springs.

rwier

I am an NRA Lifer+ and I would never recommend "Open Carry" within any City Limits, with the possible exception of at the Firing Range, or at Gun Shows (if allowed). However, I wouldn't go outside to get the mail, or dump the garbage, without carrying concealed.

rwier

----- Allow national concealed carry and those afraid of seeing a firearms will not see them ---------- The people walking around with rifles strapped to there backs in a town are just jerks looking for a reaction--------

Amen to that!!!

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Basically that is what it means. If you are legally allowed to own a firearm you are allowed to carry concealed . It is also called Constitutional carry. Kansas recently past this in there state.
When I can quit explaining to my students why FMJ ball ammo might not be the best choice for the street, we'll talk again. Granted, we're in right vs. privilege mode here, but I don't want to be standing behind a legitimate target after the through and through, either. Whether any of it sinks in or not, at least the exposure to a few useful concepts might make a difference some day.

04Z1V6

The point is, most people that open carry would rather conceal carry but are not permitted without jumping through hoops to do so. This to me is backwards, the press was making a big deal out of the dispatchers telling the caller it is legal to open carry. I would have no problem with cities putting restrictions on open carry if you then allow concealed carry.
The police can not protect anyone in the first few minutes of some wack job with gun going nuts but when this happens the press is always calling to disarm instead of allowing honest people to protect them self.

04Z1V6

I hope you are saying it is a right not a privilege. If you have ball ammo in your gun and you are being targeted I would put money down that you would use it. But I do agree with your statement about over penetration and that proper use in a defensive weapon should be part of your strategy if you carry.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Ah, I am following you now, though it's not all that difficult to get a permit in Colorado - certainly easier than certain other states that will remain unnamed.

If you have ball ammo in your gun and you are being targeted I would put money down that you would use it.
The only place that could ever happen would be on the range! We've certainly talked active shooter scenarios there, though.

Point is that weapons knowledge today isn't what it was back in the 1700s. More often than not, the knowledge and skills were either passed down by family members or through military training. A person didn't just pick up a muzzle loader for the first time and just stuff it with whatever seemed right (well, not more than once, anyway!) and try to fire it. There was always some personal interaction involved in the learning process. With today's technology, that's often not the case. Buy gear, load magazine, pull trigger.

So yes, I'm with you, but understand why it's always reluctantly. Back in the day, some minimal level of 'learning experience' was assumed. Today it need not be.

SCPD

QRT
Reading article and people asking why didn't they check, take yourself to youtube and type open carry test to any record police. Anytime a agency checks you'll see the result and how a police agency "oppressed" nut case Joe's rights for attention in youtube sensations follwing othets like him flooding facebook leaving nasty comments to othet forms of antI police thoughts. If I recall this exact city had numerous youtube wonders testing open carrying of semi auto and filming police. So maybe they need to feel some responsibility in it for all the false calls and I'll sue you acts they pulled when a pd got a call on a man carrying 2 handguns, 2 rifles, and a camera walking by a federal building, within a vicinity of a school and large shopping center. This is why the pd probably blew off that call. You get enough of it and lawsuits over a welfare case bumb testing his rights proving nothing this is what happens. It's probably one of those guys again im sure was said. Well it wasnt. So how do you youtube sensations feel you probably had some result in 3 deaths testing your rights. We all know we have rights. But it isn't normal to sport arms as if your going to battle. I'd be interested to know how many of those youtube wonders are on any type of drug prescribed for anxiety, depression, mental illness, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.