half of conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritz73

Premium Subscriber
For the past couple weeks most of the time (not always) I've only been receiving half of the conversation on WSP southeast 154.665. Very frustrating since there have been a couple of vehicle pursuits where I could only hear the car and not the dispatcher he was talking to. Anyone know what is going on? Did they finally move more of their traffic on to wiscom and is that why this is happening?

jim202

For the past couple weeks most of the time (not always) I've only been receiving half of the conversation on WSP southeast 154.665. Very frustrating since there have been a couple of vehicle pursuits where I could only hear the car and not the dispatcher he was talking to. Anyone know what is going on? Did they finally move more of their traffic on to wiscom and is that why this is happening?

You didn't give a clue as to if this was a repeater output, a simplex channel, or maybe an input frequency to a repeater.

peewee007

Gary Hanson
Feed Provider
Might be doing like St Croix county(where I am) does..the main frequency and tower is 154.680 and is in Eau Claire and I can hear that once n a while BUT there are multiple simulcast towers throughout the county and into Polk county(next county north of here). The simulcast tower that I *can* pick up all the time is in Baldwin(much closer to me than Eau Claire). I think there are also other towers along the route that I can't pick up unless propagation is good..this is just a guess..I dunno how the other state patrol posts operate - I forgot to mention that the same issue happens here too..when people in Eau Claire or closer to Eau Claire, that tower will pick them up and I wont hear them..but I'll hear the dispatch simulcast..same thing, only one side of the conversation unless a closer tower is used

sfd119

You didn't give a clue as to if this was a repeater output, a simplex channel, or maybe an input frequency to a repeater.

He posted this in the WISCONSIN forum about the State Patrol on a known frequency.

Has this always worked? I usually only hear the cars on the Spooner Post, rarely the dispatchers.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I can't vouch for other posts, but here in the DeForest area, mobile radio traffic is repeated via the voter, then sent to the simulcast transmit sites. However, dispatch console audio is directed to one site based on the dispatchers choice.

Mobiles are repeated via simulcast, dispatch is single site transmit and is instantly selectable as to which site the dispatcher wants to talk on.

This has been my observation for many years in this area (DeForest).

peewee007

Gary Hanson
Feed Provider
I can't vouch for other posts, but here in the DeForest area, mobile radio traffic is repeated via the voter, then sent to the simulcast transmit sites. However, dispatch console audio is directed to one site based on the dispatchers choice.

Mobiles are repeated via simulcast, dispatch is single site transmit and is instantly selectable as to which site the dispatcher wants to talk on.

This has been my observation for many years in this area (DeForest).

That sounds like this area with the Northwest/Eau Claire post..maybe the same everywhere ?

sfd119

Yes. That's why I only hear the cars, I'm generally too far away from the site Dispatch is talking to.

stormy182

Premium Subscriber
Isn't Spooner Post's Dispatch based in Eau Claire now or does each post still have there own dispatch?

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Slow down here boys and girls...

WSP's conventional system repeats the voted audio from the cars and is heard pretty much district-wide. The dispatch audio however is still from one tower at a time, so if you aren't in that area of the district, you likely won't hear it. It's been this way since the 80's when the highband system went in. Nothing new here.

All seven comm centers are still open, but some aren't staffed overnight and then those are remoted to their alternate. This does not affect radio communications however.

Status
Not open for further replies.