Massive Airports Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

kma371

QRT
Hello all,

I did a complete update/check of all public airports in California (mostly why you seen California all GREEN). The follow is a summary of the updates:

Moved all airports in each county to a general "Airports" catagory on the main page. Previously, all airports were listed individually on the county page and this took up a lot of room.

Each airport's GPS radius was checked and updated if necessary.

Some airports were removed because they are closed or have become private airports with no communication facilities.

If an airport had any local approach control frequencies handled by Oakland Center, Los Angeles Center, NORCAL TRACON or SOCAL TRACON, they were removed and a link to the appropriate listing was included. This was done to remove about 200 duplicate listings across the state. It also allows for an easier way to update the DB. Instead of updating multiple frequencies across different counties, we can update from one location, making the database more accurate.

A SOCAL TRACON page was added. Information was obtained from an FAA source but if you SOCAL folks wouldn't mind taking a look at it here:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=9236

And let me know if anything needs to be updated.

Any questions, please reply to the thread, thanks.

Last edited:

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
I'm not a big airport buff, but I did notice your heading of "Del Ray" should be "Del Rey" (as in Marina Del Rey)... thanks for the hard work!!!!

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
KMA371, Thank you for the update!

Wanted to add on to LZJSR's comment about Del Ray vs Del Rey, saw you fixed it in the TRACON category but there are a few spots in the airport category with the misspelling under each airport specifically. Other than that, looks great!!

kma371

QRT
KMA371, Thank you for the update!

Wanted to add on to LZJSR's comment about Del Ray vs Del Rey, saw you fixed it in the TRACON category but there are a few spots in the airport category with the misspelling under each airport specifically. Other than that, looks great!!

Ah ok, that was the copy and paste I did for everything. I'll go back and fix those too.

kma371

QRT
Added GPS radius' for SOCAL, Santa Barbara, Fresno, Bakersfield TRACONS

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Did your FAA source have a sector map for Socal TRACON along with the sector names and frequencies? It would be cool to have general area served along with the sector name. E.g. San Diego, 124.35 "East (SAN final)", 119.6 "Wizky (SAN departure)", etc.

kma371

QRT
There are maps in the SOP, but they are pretty generic with no landmarks so it's kinda hard to figure out borders.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
This was done to remove about 200 duplicate listings across the state. It also allows for an easier way to update the DB. Instead of updating multiple frequencies across different counties, we can update from one location, making the database more accurate.

Definitely will help reduce how much scanning the HP models will have to do. Thank you.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I've updated the Southern California TRACON page to include descriptions of each sector. This may include location relative to the main airport in that area, function such as final approach approach feeder, departure or enroute. It may also include altitude limits, especially if there are multiple sectors in that area covering different altitudes.

The above assumes southern CA airports in their usual configuration, which is LAX, ONT and SAN landing west, BUR landing east, VNY and SNA landing south and LGB landing NW.

Any questions feel free to ask. I'm a local pilot so that was good practice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.