2010 Audi A6 Avant

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan0412

Hello all: sharing pics of my install today. After evaluating several options, I went with a setup that's truly 'mobile' (in my opinion) - no major drilling/holes in the car. If the need arose, I could easily swap out the kit in minutes. I have the Yaesu FT-857D, with a Tram 1185 (2m / 70cm) antenna.

'Grab 'n Go' setup.

I have the YSK-857 Separation Kit, along with the MLS 100 external speaker (tucked under the driver's seat.

I am still thinking of a location for the front panel.

More pics later.

PS: I am planning to install the ATAS 120A system later; (I inadvertently ordered the wrong mounting kit, will get that sorted out this week). So far, I am impressed with the current antenna/setup - took it for a spin in the nabe and make a contact 30+ miles away.

commscanaus

Absolutely love it!
Looks awesome in black.

I have a soft spot for wagons.
Shame they are becoming less popular due to the rise of the SUV.
Really want an Audi RS6!!

You have done a very nice job with your install.
Now you just need to get your mount sorted for the HF antenna to make full use of the 857D.

Regards, Commscanaus.

dan0412

Thanks guys; yea, the Audi wagons are almost like unicorns these days.

Anyway, I should get the mount for the ATAS early next week and complete the install.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

dan0412

It has been quite a busy weekend; I did a couple updates. First off, I added a Rigrunner 4005H to allow for easy power distribution. The box is hidden out of sight in a cubby just behind the rear seats and covered by the folding boards in the trunk that slide into place. (I'd have this wagon for 2+ years and discovered this storage bin only this weekend [facepalm].)

The rig is fed by powerpole-connector leads from the battery & grounded terminal.

I finally installed my Yaesu ATAS 120A antenna, hooking it up to a Diamond MX62M duplexer to feed both HF, VHF/UHF antenna connectors on the FT-857D.

Next up, I installed the FTM-400DR up front, running the power underneath the front passenger seat to the rear power distribution point. I love this radio; color LCD and all; plus the user interface/menu structure is easy to navigate. One major gripe I have is with the length of the cables ( microphone + control head cables).... too short!. I am trying to source the right microphone extension connector + cable ( I hear an RJ12 cable and connector would work; or RJ11?? - does any have experience with sourcing the right extension cable)?

I mounted the head unit on the dash using Scosche MagicMount system. I may decide to drill and use the mounting brace, but for now this works. :)

I really like this radio; still getting used to the APRS setup. The GPS is quite quick to lock, and updates are routine. I use my smartphone or tablet with the APRSDroid app to visually map objects, but I am also considering getting bluetooth add-on later on.

The 400-DR uses a Tram 1185 Amateur Dual-Band Magnet Antenna.

That's it for now. This is still a work-in-progress and I'll be tweaking the set up some more.

Dan

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber

dan0412

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Dump the magnetic antenna mount on the roof. Do it right, and install an NMO-based antenna. You're going to do more paint damage with a mag mount, and I have NEVER had a resale deficit with permanent antenna mounts, with both purchased and leased vehicles. Never. You can leave the mount there, or put in a rubber hole plug when you dispose of the car. My present car has 11 NMO mounts. I have three people who want my car when I decide to get another vehicle to replace it.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
You've got excellent taste!

I've got one as well and went with an XTL5000 in the trunk with the 03 HHCH mounted using a Panavise 75102-705.

The car is on air ride, so I've already got quite a bit of wiring in the trunk. Mine is used for RX only, so it's connected to a low-profile Phantom elite on the rear parcel shelf. I may explore tying into the existing GSM antenna on the roof.

https://panavise.com/pdf_indash/75102-705.pdf

E4aBl3E.png

5904850164_f8d5f4584c_b.jpg

dan0412

^^^ Nice!! PS: I've seen some of your work on Audizine.com :)

Thanks for the Panavise tip - I've been looking for a good mount for my 7" TW700 tablet (for APRS), so will definitely order one.

Status
Not open for further replies.