Mounting advice for Inlogis (Pixel) Loop Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1xd

I've ordered a Inlogis Pro-1B loop antenna to be used with Elad SDR FDM-S2 receiver. From researching, most people recommend mounting the loop fairly close to ground level, 5-10 feet or so.

I have a 'convenient' location on a wooden fence structure that encloses a horizontal style propane tank. My question is how far above the steel tank would the loop need to be so the tank doesn't screw up the antenna pattern. The metal tank would be below the loop by 6 feet or so and behind it by a few feet.

Advice?

ridgescan

Yes these things are said to be better near ground-but I can tell you that my Wellbrook is very effective with good S/N even at 50' from ground level. So don't rule higher mount points completely out yet. I say experiment. Try out different stuff one day and see for yourself.

SCPD

QRT
I have a 'convenient' location on a wooden fence structure that encloses a horizontal style propane tank. My question is how far above the steel tank would the loop need to be so the tank doesn't screw up the antenna pattern. The metal tank would be below the loop by 6 feet or so and behind it by a few feet.

Get it as far way from anything metallic as possible. If it's your only mounting location then try it and see.

I have my Wellbrook LA5030 on a cheap camera tripod sitting on my patio wall and it works fantastic! I would love to see how it would work if it was properly mounted and away from my apartment.

Attachments

• 20140629_163301.jpg
    20140629_163301.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 742

nanZor

Like most antennas, getting it away from the structure is ideal.

Here, the small loop depends on balance to obtain the low angle figure 8 directivity which allows you to aim it to put a noise source well down in the notch.

For instance, the guy across the street running a noisy wall wart might be easily nulled out with rotation, without affecting sky-wave reception too much. In the picture, this would most likely be like looking through the loop like a large magnifying glass. As it is now, you wouldn't be nulling out any noisemaker from across the lot but off to the sides. And at low angles.

But, being so close to the house, one side of the loop is closer to metal than the other, and now the loop is not perfectly balanced. Your null-depth and low angle directivity may be skewed and may be hard to null out that noise from the guy across the street.

Move the loop outwards a bit - say to the walkway - and a very sharp null could take out that noisy wall wart across the street with careful aim. And on both sides of the rotation 180 degrees apart - take your pick.

From a sky-wave standpoint, there isn't much directivity, although with careful observation, you will have an oblong kind of egg-shape directivity for skywave sigs. So there is *some* directivity, but it is not as apparent as at the lower angles.

If you DO notice a very directional change when listening to skywave (ie not local groundwave) signals, then your loop is very unbalanced. This can be caused by an unseen metallic object, or in some cases poor construction allowing the shield of the coax to actually be part of the antenna itself - major unbalance - and no classic loop directivity. Some manufacturers will include a "galvanic" isolator, or perhaps a good rf-choke out at the loop just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:

nanZor

Additional note:

Old-time aircraft used a similar small loop to aid navigation - pointing the loop towards a radio station with a known location (loop arms inline with the station for signal strength peaking - like aiming a bow), or because the null notch is a bit more critical, NULL the station and apply an offset in their calculations.

The reason it worked on an aluminum aircraft, is that the loop stayed balanced even though mounted on top of the plane - the entire loop was surrounded underneath it so no major imbalance was to be seen.

So yes, if you have a water-tank, AND you could mount it up and in the *middle* of that mass, it may still work. Note that minimum distance is usually considered to be at least a radius or circumference in length away from any metal regardless.

KC4PSR

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for late post, but I have had the same setup, Pro-1B loop antenna with an Elad SDR FDM-S2 SDR for about a year now. My loop is about 75 feet from the house, fed with buried quad shield RG6, and mounted on a PVC mast with a tv rotator attached to and about 6 feet above a chain link fence . On a 518 KHz NAVTEX station about 20 miles away I can get a 25-30 dB null that's very sharp, not to mention easily nulling out neighborhood noise, so I think things are working well. I have to say I've used multiple receive antennas, long wires, T2FD, etc but was blown away by the Pixel Pro-1B loop (now made by DX Engineering). I'm convinced now that for must of us that don't live in rural areas, it's not about signal strength...it's all about signal to noise ratio! Good luck with your new setup.

pendulous

New to the forum. i have the pixel pro for several years. mine is located about 100 feet from the house. i have it mounted about 5 feet off the ground using pvc pipe mounted on a rotor. works fine. for a loop, you do not need it to be high. however, i would try and mount it away from the noise sources of your house.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I mounted mine about 25' from the house and an equal distance from the back of the lot where the utilities are. Neither seem to create any issues with the RF Pro-1B.

--
Mike

http://i.imgur.com/GUBetbT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Simple mount for me in the back yard. Just a 4x4 with a j-pole mount I obtained. It happens to be made for Dish Network and is available on ebay. The rotor is an HyGain AR-500. The rotor really allows one to null out quite a bit of the local RFI. Can't recommend a rotor or the RF Pro-1B enough.

In addition, I just learned today that the city is going to bury the electrical utility lines at the back of the lot. Although it hasn't been a real problem, it *should* be a better situation.

Oh, and sorry for the oversized picture earlier. Resolved by resizing the original at imgur.

--
Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.