Noise Gateway/Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rleshane

I'm currently streaming a stereo feed to an old XP laptop. I was thinking of replacing it with either a windows 7 or Linux laptop.

I currently have a small background hiss on my feed. You only really notice it if the volume on whatever your listening to the feed on is cranked up, but still, it's annoying.

I was wondering if anyone knows if any of the broadcast streaming tools have built in noise gateway/removal functionality?

I've tried using a variety of software audio tools, and came close once, but it couldn't seem to handle my stereo feed (it ignored one side and just streamed the other).

Anyway, long story short (too late), looking for a tool like ScannerCast but which has built in noice canceling/gateway functionality built in. Either for Windows 7 or Linux.

Thanks for any advice!

a417

i'm sure you've tried eliminating the hiss BEFORE it gets streamed? on your source?

Rleshane

Thanks for your replies. I never use the scanner speakers, so I hadn't realized this, but I DO think the background noise may be coming from the scanners themselves. I just unplugged one of the scanners from the feed, cranked scanner speak volume all the volume up, and sure enough the noise I hear is very similar to the noise on the feed that annoys me. So, I guess I found the culprit.

If you listen to my feed ( Fitchburg Police and Fire ) and crank the volume up you should be able to hear what it sounds like. I seem to notice it more when listening on my cell phone because I tend to have the volume on my phone all the way up.

I'm currently running two of these ( GRE PSR-200U Scanner Radio Receiver, PSR200U ) with the headphone jacks going into one of these ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GHBYZ0 ) and then into the laptop usb.

Since the noise seems like it may be coming from the actual scanners, might a pair of new (better quality) scanners be the best answer? If so, any suggestions?

EDIT to add: I also notice that if I disconnect one of the two scanners from the feed, the background noise I hear drops by about half, lending to the thought that the noise is coming from the actual scanners.

Last edited:

a417

Okay...how high is the volume level on your scanner?

I've used some absolutely DEPLORABLE audio sources (old instalerts, fed sig. alerts, weather radios, even a crystal circuit once (on a dare) to feed PA & streaming systems, and a careful selection of volumes, matched circuits & conditions can yield wonderful results.

just some things to think about on audio sources ... matching transformers on the source input, maybe a carefully placed capacitor, use line out instead of amplified speaker out, use line-in instead of mic-in... run low volumes on the source & bring up the levels at the streaming device...

Rleshane

matching transformers on the source input, maybe a carefully placed capacitor, use line out instead of amplified speaker out, use line-in instead of mic-in... run low volumes on the source & bring up the levels at the streaming device...

Appreciate the reply. Unfortunately most of that is just over my head. The only output jack I have on my scanners is for headphones, so that's what I use. I run the volume knobs on the scanners at about 4 out of 10. I found that any lower and I have trouble hearing the feed.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Rleshane, I think your feed sounds pretty good! :)

What feed software are you using?

RadioFeed has a notch filter function that you may be able to use ...

Status
Not open for further replies.