scanner stopped picking up police channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark222

Premium Subscriber
I am wondering if anyone else is having this issue. Sometime yesterday 11/5/15 my scanner stopped picking up the Puyallup police channels. I get the transit and air but nothing on the police. I have a uniden bcp536hp and I also tried using my homepatrol 2........

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
Are you listening to the PSRS system talkgroup 40282...? that is the only tgid that is not incrypted for puyallup pd on the new system, and you need to load up all of the sites for it to work.

Mark222

Premium Subscriber
Yes that is the talkgroup listed and again it had been working just fine for months until yesterday.....I haven't changed anything. Also I have have a homepatrol 2 on a different antenna and it isn't working on that too....

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
I also powered up that system and have heard nothing, even from Bonney Lake and
Sumner. I also loaded the puyallup talk group into the sheriffs system thinking they may have changed something, still nothing. I do know some changes took place last week when they moved a step closer to getting the two systems combined.
The only real difference I noticed, is what I am hearing I am hearing much clearer and the radios seem to be decoding it better, including my 1095 Whistler that up until last week was virtually useless on these two systems, now it turns out it hears both systems better than my uniden radios, weird. I think I will put the wildcard channel back in the 1095 after the bus traffic kind of subsides and see what talk groups I am hearing on both systems, so as to maybe find where Puyallup, sumner, and Bonney Lake went. Amtrak seems to be in the know on what's going on, maybe he can shed some light on this

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
no luck

well, mark, i loaded up the wildcard on not only the PSRS system, but also the sheriff/transit system and for kicks even the old tacoma/puyallup motorola system, and put in every published (in RR) TGID ever known for Puyallup PD, Sumner PD and Bonney Lake PD and monitored for 5 hours without a peep. The only thing it can be is that the county has added new channels to the system we have not become privvy to yet that these departments have been assigned. Lakewood, Tacoma N & S, and fire is working great on the PSRS system where all of those other departments (used) to live...mac

dpm3

I've not heard any transmissions from Tacoma PD North or South or Fire for the past 2 days or so scanning the PSRS Type 2 system on my WS-1080. I noted that I wasn't getting the "T" symbol that is present when the scanner is hearing the control channel(s), so I went ahead and programmed the primary and alternate control channels as conventional objects in my PSR-600 and listened. I got not signal at all; no data, no open carrier. My suspicion is that the system may have undergone a rebanding within the past few days, or perhaps (a long shot) has migrated to another system (South Sound 911?). If there is anyone out there who can find the control channels or identify these Tacoma Public Safety agencies on another system, I am certain that whatever info they can share will be much appreciated.

RBMTS

DPM3 - you are probably correct about the rebanding. Can you try plugging in the different frequencies in a conventional mode? Take the current primary and alternate control channel frequencies and subtract 15Mhz from each. Example: 867.9875 - 15Mhz = 852.9875Mhz See if you get any control data/channel noise. If so, I bet if you were to create a new system, mark it to use rebanding custom tables, that it would probably work for you. Let me know if that does work for you. If so I will start to update the database.

Thanks for any help.

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
Dan, I have never been successful hearing PSRS by just programing the control channels. I have all three sites programmed and am hearing them fine on my gre and uniden radios, with the exception of puyallup, sumner and bonney lake. ALSO all of my friends who call me up and ask why the Whistler or GRE radios i have programmed for them went silent i tell them to open the squelch all the way, and voila, channels are back. I don't know if it is a Whistler/GRE quirk or a system quirk but you might check that. It's a pain in the *** but when i go to a VHF bank I just add squelch and hope i don't miss much on the digital side so i have kind of got accustomed to listening to psrs and sheriff only with the squelch off...mac

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
Randy, I am told the South Sound 911 and the PSRS systems in Pierce County are both Post-rebanding systems, in other words born after rebanding and both are already 6.25hz step systems.

RBMTS

You are correct. I thought the conversation was referring to the older Tacoma Puyallup Smartnet system.

dpm3

I'm still not getting anything at all on this system (including any control/data signal on the Tacoma Simulcast site); and am wondering if those who are might be receiving the transmissions via the Puyallup Simulcast and/or McNeil Island sites, while those of us out of those sites' range might be dealing with an issue on the Tacoma Simulcast site (e.g. reduced transmit power, site "down", etc). I'll take the radio out and about a bit late today and see if I can find anywhere nearby that gets reception and, if so, what site it is receiving.

dpm3

FWIW (and it ain't worth much), my little excursion yesterday from Dash Point area over to the Tacoma Mall area with the radio scanning en-route failed to provide any reception on the PSRS system. I made stops at random places (including the NE Tacoma police station) to check for control channel activity failed to confirm an active control channel. Now, the good(?) news. Reloading the configuration via the EZ-Scan software has, at noon today, worked some success. I now receive the Tacoma PD North and South transmissions. Explanation? None. I assuming operator error at some point in the past created problem. Appreciate the attention during the issue and apologize for having wasted the time of any who may sought to find a solution to a (Imaginary?) problem.

dpm3

Sorry if I may have misled. I didn't hear Puyallup - wasn't looking for them specifically and only listened long enough to confirm that the system was being received on my radio. I listened long enough to hear Tacoma North, Tacoma South, Lakewood and Tacoma Fire (< 5 minutes total) then turned it off to put on the charger.

78turbo

I am getting a control channel now on 853.3750 so it is possible the are using a rebanded plan. I am also getting more encrypted talk groups so they may have all went that way.

dpm3

Yeah I am (just barely) getting some data noise on that frequency when I program it into my PSR-600 here in Dash Point. I tried "converting" (down by 15 MHz) the primary and alternate control channels on the Tacoma Simulcast site, but get nothing but "dead air" noise on any of them. It may be that they are currently undergoing the rebanding but are only a part of the way through it. It is something of a mystery (at least to me) why they are keeping these 2 systems active. Why not just move everyone over to the PSRS system?

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
I'm not sure why no one can seem to hear PPD/SPD/BLPD, but they're coming in loud and clear across both the legacy analog system and the PSRS Phase-2 system. Try checking your control channels.

jeanken

We have a BCD536HP and BCD436HP and a few days ago around 11/6 lost Puyallup, Sumner, Bonney Lake, Lakewood, Tacoma N & S. They all worked great with no problems before this. Can only get Sheriff now. I was reading the threads here to see what I could find out. I don't understand everything though. Today we called Uniden to see if they could help us. We updated Sentinel with an 11/8 update. They told us to do certain things to update our favorite lists. That really didn't work. Even when we scan the entire data base still no Puyallup, Sumner, BL, Lakewood, Tacoma N&S.

Mark222 here mentioned the 40282 talk group for Puyallup. We did notice that is a different one. Mark said to "load up all the sites" for this TG. Can anyone explain to me what you mean by this and maybe give me some directions to do that? We'll try anything to see if it works.

Thanks! Jean

Status
Not open for further replies.