• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola cheap professional portable two way radio for firefighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam55671

Premium Subscriber
Any cheap Motorola UHF 450-512 MHz portable two way radios with a display for firefighters? $60.00 a piece

Last edited:

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Certainly not new. You may find a used radius, mt or ht series for that but it will likely need a battery and/or antenna at that price. I'm also assuming conventional analog.

sam55671

Premium Subscriber
Yes used. How is the saber is it a good radio because I know it is cheap?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I may be wrong without looking at my list but I don't know think they will narrowband. Most likely why they're so cheap. Same goes with any ht1000 with the last two digits of the model number being AN or BN.

sam55671

Premium Subscriber
I have a ht1250 ls+ which is my personal radio and my chief told me to ask around to see if we might be able to get quality back up radios with a display and 16 channels. Our budget is low which is why we are looking to buy quality radios at a low price.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Personally if you're just wanting a back up radio I'd buy a bunch of vx180s. They're cheap, available, two tone page, 16 channel and have a display. My department had a mixture of them and mt2000s before going trunked and had no issues with them. I also work for another company that has about a dozen vx180s and they love them. I love my Motorola's but as a cheaper alternative you can't go wrong with a vertex, especially the 180

sam55671

Premium Subscriber
We want Motorolas so do you think the mt2000 is a good option?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I have a couple. I have no problem with them. However the pixels are bad to go out on the screens. It seems to be worse with the top screen ones that I've had through the years.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Whether or not the radios narrowband is irrelevant. The OP is looking to use in the T-band which was exempt from narrow band mandates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Whether or not the radios narrowband is irrelevant. The OP is looking to use in the T-band which was exempt from narrow band mandates.

Hahaha derp..... brain fart. Sorry about that. However on the same side as that, if it's so old it can't narrowband you may not want it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If a display is mandatory, you are going to have a difficult time finding and quantity of suitable radios for $60 each.
If you can ditch the display requirement you could look at the HT-1000 line. You should be able to find those for somewhere in your price range. Very durable radios.

The MTS2000 might be an option, but they have the known issues with the display pixels dropping out.
And then there's the whole Chinese branded radios. $60 would be easy, you'd get a display. Not sure I'd trust them in a fire fighting environment, even as a back up radio.

jcop225

Radio Zoomer

I'm not sure where you're getting T-Band from, OP spec'd the entire UHF band in his request. More to the point, T-Band is NOT exempted from narrowbanding:

https://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/public-safety-spectrum/narrowbanding-faq.html#question_1_1_1

Depending on how you intend to use these radios, I would look up the environmental (usually MIL-STD) rating of the radios you are considering to see if they are satisfactory.

ecps92

T-Band was exempted, that document is out-of-date, however many agencies DID go ahead and NB their equipment due to Grant $$ already allocated

https://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/narrowbanding-overview
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-12-642A1.pdf

He should, if T-Band, confirm if his agency did or did not go Narrowband, as well as determine any future plans to NB
Many agencies continue to migrate to NB

I'm not sure where you're getting T-Band from, OP spec'd the entire UHF band in his request. More to the point, T-Band is NOT exempted from narrowbanding:

https://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/public-safety-spectrum/narrowbanding-faq.html#question_1_1_1

Depending on how you intend to use these radios, I would look up the environmental (usually MIL-STD) rating of the radios you are considering to see if they are satisfactory.

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy

OP actually stated 470-512 MHz in his post. He has since broadened the requirements.

However, I'm not aware of a single /\/\ radio that will currently cover 450-512 MHz. In fact the only radios I know that will are Baofengs.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
OP actually stated 470-512 MHz in his post. He has since broadened the requirements.

However, I'm not aware of a single /\/\ radio that will currently cover 450-512 MHz. In fact the only radios I know that will are Baofengs.

My HT1250 will do 450-527 Mhz. Vertex 454 UHF will do 450-512 as will Kenwood TK-3312. Also Icom F60v will cover 450-512. You HAVE to search for this wide split, but they are out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.