Huge VHF Hi Band Opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff

Premium Subscriber
There has been a huge VHF high band opening the last 48 hours covering all of FL, GA, & AL. In St. Augustine I have heard stations from ham repeaters from Palm Beach and Hardee Co, and the Fort Rucker VHF trunk system. The St. Aug 146.625 repeater has been opened by stations in Birmingham, AL, Macon, GA and SC.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
UHF was open as well

Not just VHF, but UHF as well.

We operate a repeater in Marietta, GA on 443.45MHz. This morning I was hearing a heterodyne and kept seeing MDC ID's on my XTL2500's display.

Turned out it was the NI4CE repeater in Holiday, coming through loud and clear. Was able to hit it with 25 watts mobile in Smyrna, GA near the Glock factory. It was actually wiping out WC4RAV-R!

Nice to chat with my old Florida friend KD4NWL! Never had this good a tropo on UHF in almost 30 years of ham radio!

K4SVT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I was sitting in the room and i was talking to a few people on the 400DR on Wires X C4FM...then on it other side on band B on 146.910..it our local repeater that i have a straight shot at..not even a mile from me...i was hearing a signal that sounded like a distant repeater..so i listened for a few seconds and caught a callsign and looked it up AI4SS...said they were in SC...i was kinda shocked..so i threw my call out and one came back saying he was in White Hall, SC...thats about 330mi from Titusville. FL on 50 watts running just a X50 antenna only 30ft off the roof..

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
There has been a huge VHF high band opening the last 48 hours covering all of FL, GA, & AL. In St. Augustine I have heard stations from ham repeaters from Palm Beach and Hardee Co, and the Fort Rucker VHF trunk system. The St. Aug 146.625 repeater has been opened by stations in Birmingham, AL, Macon, GA and SC.

When I lived in St Augustine from 91-2012 I picked up far as NY and far west was around Texas. The other night I was picking around 200 mile radius on uhf/vhf and 380 800

Status
Not open for further replies.