Fredericksburg Considering Joining Stafford's P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredva

Feed Provider
I was made aware of this by a relative: Fredericksburg city staff is recommending that city council approve a plan for its public safety agencies to move from their VHF frequencies onto Stafford County's 700 Mhz P25 trunking system. The cost of equipment is estimated to be $2.75 million, to be spent in FY16. An annual fee would be paid to Stafford. This plan is an alternative to the city purchasing its own radio system in FY18-19, at an estimated cost of over $4 million.

Here is a link to the staff's recommendation: http://va-fredericksburg.civicplus.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/2851?fileID=2460

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Mike, has Fburg ever considered joining the new system that Spotsy is currently working towards? Of course, the Stafford system is up and running while the one in Spotsy is still down the road a little.

fredva

Feed Provider
Alan, I can't say for certain, but I would think they would have at least given some thought to that option. As the document indicated though, they know what type of coverage the Stafford system will provide in the city. Spotsy's P25 coverage in the city hasn't been proven, or perhaps they think an additional site would be needed on Spotsy's system.

One consideration may have been the fact that the city tends to rely more heavily on Stafford County for mutual aid due to the close proximity of the fire/EMS station in Falmouth. Spotsylvania does run EMS calls in the city on a daily basis, but I think Stafford is the first choice on mutual aid for most of the calls where it's needed, based on my listening.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
One consideration may have been the fact that the city tends to rely more heavily on Stafford County for mutual aid due to the close proximity of the fire/EMS station in Falmouth. Spotsylvania does run EMS calls in the city on a daily basis, but I think Stafford is the first choice on mutual aid for most of the calls where it's needed, based on my listening.

You stole the words out of my mouth. The very close working relationship between Stafford County F/R (specifically Company 1 - Falmouth) and the Fredericksburg FD probably helped set the wheels in motion with Stafford more readily than Spotsy.

fredva

Feed Provider

djm

Fred PD switch to Ch.3 for dispatching

On the occasion of his retirement, the Fredericksburg City Manager says to the Free Lance-Star, "We’re in the process now of installing a new public safety radio system, which will bring our public safety communication to a state-of-the-art level..."

Retiring city manager leaves Fredericksburg on sound fiscal footing - Fredericksburg.com: Work

This may explain Fredericksburg PD's use of their channel-3 (Hospital) for the past couple weeks instead of their usual voice inverted channels (1 and 2) as they prepare to switch to the Stafford system.

fredva

Feed Provider
This afternoon on the city's conventional VHF system I heard someone announce that they would be testing the alert tones on the new radio system's channel 1. I wasn't able to monitor with a wildcard or Unitrunker at the time to see what Talkgroup id that would have on Stafford's system. But evidently they are in the testing phase now.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
This afternoon on the city's conventional VHF system I heard someone announce that they would be testing the alert tones on the new radio system's channel 1. I wasn't able to monitor with a wildcard or Unitrunker at the time to see what Talkgroup id that would have on Stafford's system. But evidently they are in the testing phase now.

This morning using the wildcard I have a talk group of 5701 popping up but I hear nothing coming through nor do I get the encryption sound on my TRX-2. It shows a long radio ID and voice channel frequency.

Also, who is the admin for the VA database?

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
This morning using the wildcard I have a talk group of 5701 popping up but I hear nothing coming through nor do I get the encryption sound on my TRX-2. It shows a long radio ID and voice channel frequency.

Also, who is the admin for the VA database?
At 0515 this morning two Motorola tech's were let in a secure area to start work on the system.

covert53

Dude
Premium Subscriber
Spotsylvania Fire Rescue and Emergency Management put out a notice to personnel that Fredericksburg Fire goes live on the Stafford System at 0700 on August 28. (That's tomorrow as I type)

In the same notice they also say the new Spotsy system should be active in "mid-to-late September"

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
I was trying to listen to that this morning but no luck. The dispatcher took everyone over to the new system to check their radios and all I got was TG 5701 no audio.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fredva

Feed Provider
I was trying to listen to that this morning but no luck. The dispatcher took everyone over to the new system to check their radios and all I got was TG 5701 no audio.

Hmm - at least one other person reported that same issue when 5701 popped up in the past. But I've been hearing transmissions today, when I've had a chance to listen.

I used PRO96com for a little while this morning and it logged a few other talkgroups in the 57xx series. But I haven't had a chance to determine their purpose.

djm

I no longer hear Fred PD on the "Hospital Channel." They were using it as their primary for the past several weeks. I suppose they switched over as well?

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
I have recorded audio of Stafford TG 4501 4601 4603 4773 5363 5701. But it is very very choppy. I have good signal strength and using the 996P2. Proscan 11.2. Besides Spotsylvania P25, I don't have it sounding like that on anything else. Is anyone else experiencing this?

This morning around 0700, 1 of the Spotsylvania SO shift Sergeants was trying to get 5 of his people their new radios and handhelds for this "final week". His words.

Status
Not open for further replies.