• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Difference between wide vs narrowband

Status
Not open for further replies.

lep

Not to be argumentative, but the difference is that narrowband is narrow and wide band is not! In other words, the occupied bandwidth is narrow allowing closer channel spacing,

ecps92

Beside the answers already given, if using an OLDER Scanner
you had WFM and NFM - WIDE was generally used for TV and FM (Commercial Radio)

The older Scanners would use NFM for Police/Fire etc and is what RR considers FM and the RR NFM is the FCC Narrowbanding requirement which is what the other replies were referencing

What is the difference between wide and narrowband?

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
With narrowband channels, twice as many voice channels can be fit into a specific range of frequencies. But it only works right if all the radios in use on adjacent frequencies have the proper filters in them to keep them from hearing traffic on the adjacent frequencies.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Wide = 5 khz tx deviation.
Narrow = 2.5 khz tx deviation.

To expand on this, they produce different channel bandwidths that create different step sizes between channels.

5 khz deviation produces a modulated transmission that fits inside a 25 khz wide channel area, while 2.5 khz deviation produces a transmission that fits a 12.5 khz channel. Thus, wideband requires 25 khz steps between channel center frequencies (to avoid covering and being covered by half of someone else's adjacent frequency), and narrowband only 12.5. This is why the FCC has been pushing narrowbanding mandates- it doubles the available spectrum channels once everybody gets it done.

VE1GAT

Secular Humanist, goodness without godness
Halifax or Englishtown, Nova Scotia, Canada
actually there is a misconception in describing the difference.
Wide = 5 khz tx deviation.
Narrow = 2.5 khz tx deviation.
Deviation is not the same as bandwidth.

Without getting technical... roughly
Depending on your radio, wide maybe 25khz or 30khz
and narrow maybe 15khz 12.5khz or even lower.
Deviation is how far from exact frequency you can stray without loosing signal and causing interference.
eg
146.52Mhz using wide band can stray +-2.5khz
146.52Mhz using narrowband can stray +-1.25khz

for bandwidth types picture a plot of a small radio spectrum with a wizards hat peak on the exact frequency and narrow band is a skinny hat (unlikely to interfere with frequencies nearby but harder to match exactly with others if they are off frequency a little) and wide band is a fatter hat (easier to talk with others if there is a deviation between the radio's frequencies but more likely to splatter onto adjacent frequencies)

Both have their own advantages.

and wide FM isn't really wide, commercial FM radio is 200kHz which allows much more information to be used.

have a look at a listening site
WebSDR & Radio | VK3LP In Melbourne Australia

Voyager

Deviation is how far from exact frequency you can stray without loosing signal and causing interference.
eg
146.52Mhz using wide band can stray +-2.5khz
146.52Mhz using narrowband can stray +-1.25khz

Double those figures. +/- 5.0 for Wide (NBFM) and +/- 2.5 for Narrow (SNFM). And actually the carrier can stray that much PLUS the MMF, or +/- 8 kHz for NBFM which gives a total occupied bandwidth of 16.0 kHz.

Also, almost all Wide (NBFM) radios are using 16.0 kHz bandwidth. To determine the bandwidth, use the formula BW=(2*DEV)+(2*MMF) where DEV is the deviation and MMF is the Maximum Modulating Frequency.

For NBFM, that is BW=(2*5.0)+(2*3.0), or 10+6 = 16 kHz bandwidth.

For SNFM that would be BW=(2*2.5)+(2*3.0), or 5+6 = 11 kHz bandwidth.

bill4long

Voyager is correct.

The 25 Khz channelization that Land Mobile (Commercial, Public Service, etc) previously used was excessively wasteful. It was specified decades ago when spectrum crowding was not an issue. A whopping 36% was simply wasted since only 16 Khz of each channel was actually used.

These days 11 KHz narrowband technologies work just as well (with companding etc.) The 12.5 Khz channelization results in only 12% "waste." And this is just for analog. With digital you can cut it in half again since you can get by with 6.25 Khz channels and less.

jackj

I remember when....

Back in the early 60's, wide was 15 khz, & narrow was 5 khz. Anyone remember that narrow band switch?

Yep, changed out a few permakays and whatever GE called their IF filter. Not to mention pre-emphasis chokes and caps.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
To determine the bandwidth, use the formula BW=(2*DEV)+(2*MMF) where DEV is the deviation and MMF is the Maximum Modulating Frequency.

For NBFM, that is BW=(2*5.0)+(2*3.0), or 10+6 = 16 kHz bandwidth.

For SNFM that would be BW=(2*2.5)+(2*3.0), or 5+6 = 11 kHz bandwidth.

This is Carson's Rule.

The 25 Khz channelization that Land Mobile (Commercial, Public Service, etc) previously used was excessively wasteful. It was specified decades ago when spectrum crowding was not an issue. A whopping 36% was simply wasted since only 16 Khz of each channel was actually used.

These days 11 KHz narrowband technologies work just as well (with companding etc.) The 12.5 Khz channelization results in only 12% "waste." And this is just for analog. With digital you can cut it in half again since you can get by with 6.25 Khz channels and less.
Except that in the VHF business and public safety bands, the channelization was 15 kHz, not 25 kHz. The result was that with a +/- 5 kHz deviation signal (16 kHz bandwidth), there would be some overlap if you tried to use adjacent channels without sufficient geographic separation. The FCC narrowband mandate cut the VHF channelization to 7.5 kHz which means there's even more possibility of adjacent channel overlap between +/- 2.5 kHz deviation signals (11 kHz bandwidth).

Even in amateur radio, many areas of the U.S. use a 15 kHz channel spacing on VHF between 146.0 and 148.0 MHz. The radios are all set for +/- 5 kHz deviation, so you end up with some overlap if the frequency coordinators aren't paying attention.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
More than once in the last several years as a full-time radio technician, the question of accuracy of measurement of modulation came up and getting the right answer was pretty important for a particular application we were working on.

I ended up generating reference modulation signals using the Bessel Null function, employing precision audio and RF signal generators, (with the PC being the precision audio generator, with appropriate software), and then adjusting for the appropriate Bessel Null indications. Then I had a true "reference grade" modulated signal to use and see how the other equipment on the bench interpreted that signal.

It was both fun and a royal pain at the same time. But it gave me a great insight as to how modulation actually works. (deviation, actually, is the proper term, as modulation applies to AM signals and deviation applies to FM and other constant level signals such as phase modulation and various forms of phase shift keying.)

Actually making high resolution spectrum measurements of the modulated signal (0.1 Hz resolution) at various input audio deviation levels and frequencies led to some fascinating insights in how it all works. I'm not going to say I fully comprehend the math involved, though.

I realize this is a bit above the intent of this topic, but the science of RF is absolutely fascinating. The very idea that you can feed a small amount of electricity into a simple cicruit composed of capacitors, inductors, resistors, and a transistor or two and then be able to use a complementary circuit to receive that signal from many miles away is still, to me, magic. Magic that can be explained scientifically, but darn it, it's still magical. Science IS magic. At least until you fully understand it.

Voyager

Yep, changed out a few permakays and whatever GE called their IF filter. Not to mention pre-emphasis chokes and caps.

I never upgraded any personally, but I recall working on many that had a yellow sticker "Adjusted to Narrowband +/- 5 kHz".

Status
Not open for further replies.