emergency photographers network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty909

Hi does anyone monitor the emergency photographers network frequencies? And if so what is it used for, is there a good time to monitor it, and what do they talk about so i know what to listen for. Thanks

KB6KGX

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi does anyone monitor the emergency photographers network frequencies? And if so what is it used for, is there a good time to monitor it, and what do they talk about so i know what to listen for. Thanks

I do. A good friend of mine was, until recently, part of this group. RadioReference shows seven frequencies for this group. “EPN6” is actually a GMRS channel.

I have only heard activity (in the Los Angeles and Ventura Counties) on “EPN1” and “EPN3”.

The group’s website states that they are “professional photographers”, but I know of at least one who is not and has never been a professional photographer. Some, though, are, such as Mike Meadows of the Los Angeles Times.

They respond primarily to fires (brush and structure) and traffic accidents, for purposes of photographing these events and publishing what they come up with, whether in newspapers and other forms of media, or just on social media such as Facebook.

What you will here are the guys talking about, for example, the fire and what is happening, information about the fire such as agencies on scene, etc.

Frequencies are only active when a big event is happening, otherwise it is fairly quiet.

matty909

Oh ok, that was very helpful. I did check their site but sadly they dont have a way to join because i basically do that in my area on a amateur level but it would be nice to have someone in the field that can possibly use the photos and information for a good cause

Past EPN member here... Didn't renew my dues this year as Photo5 serves me no advantages. I cannot receive Photo1 at home which 98% of the group is only active on.

Photo 1 usually has traffic during the week and weekend with chatter of current incidents and who is out where. Photo 2, 3, and 4 are generally not used unless on a incident where there is a large number of photographers on scene. Photo 5 is used generally in the SGV for dispatches with occasional San Bernardino traffic.

Photo 1: LA Metro/LA Valley/Santa Clarita Dispatch (Oat)
Photo 2: LA Metro/LA Valley/Santa Clarita Command (Lukens)
Photo 3: Additional Command (Castro)
Photo 4: Orange County & Riverside Command (Sierra Peak)
Photo 5: East LA County/San Bernardino Dispatch (Sunset)
Photo 6: Antelope Valley Dispatch/Command (Hauser)

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
Can you post the frequency details? They may be fun to listen to. Thanks!

KB6KGX

Banned
Past EPN member here... Didn't renew my dues this year as Photo5 serves me no advantages. I cannot receive Photo1 at home which 98% of the group is only active on.

Thanks for the info as to which channel is what. Yes, most activity is on “1”, but I’ve heard other activity, other than the group, in Spanish, which can be heard by turning the PL off.

“6” is a GMRS channel, so curious as to why that is one of the group’s listed channels.

As a “past” member, are you at liberty to discuss what the membership requirements are? Or, perhaps, just about this one. The group’s website refers to “professional” photographers, yet my friend (who may also be “past” at this time) is not “professional”. Just retired FD to spends his free time running around taking photos. So, my question, therefore, is must one be a legitimate “professional” as in employed by a news agency, newspaper or magazine?

KB6KGX

Banned
Can you post the frequency details? They may be fun to listen to. Thanks!

Yes, it can be. When we had a large fire out in the west Simi Valley/Wood Ranch area, I just listened to EPN rather than VCFD. I got more information about what was happening that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.