Sentenal on another computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to load Sentinel on another computer to work with my FLs. I am doing this so I don't royal screw up what I have on my lap top. I installed the latest version and had my profiles transferred. However I can't get the profile to open up on the new computer. If I go to open, I can see them but if I click on one, nothing happens. All files in the profile are present.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If it was me, I'd stick to one computer.

There are two options. One is to export your Favorites Lists to HPE files. If you have a problem you can import them back.

But the better way is to use your Windows Explorer to navigate to the C:\users\...\documents folder. Copy and paste the Uniden folder that is there. If there is a problem, you can do some more Windows Explorer work to get to a restore point.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
If it was me, I'd stick to one computer.

There are two options. One is to export your Favorites Lists to HPE files. If you have a problem you can import them back.

But the better way is to use your Windows Explorer to navigate to the C:\users\...\documents folder. Copy and paste the Uniden folder that is there. If there is a problem, you can do some more Windows Explorer work to get to a restore point.

I tried the 2nd option. all the files that are there but if I go to open, I see the profile but it does not open.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
If your scanner is working with those fav lists from the first computer... Just use sentinel on the second computer to read from the scanner.

Voyager

+1 on what Randy said. When you say the profile was transferred, exactly what does that mean? I suspect the FLs were not transferred which are not kept in the SW folder.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
Use a cloud sharing service like Drobox or Onedrive and keep your files synced. You can drag and drop the Uniden folder into your Documents folder.

I went one step farther and changed my Documents location to my cloud drive, so everything is always current on both my computers.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Use a cloud sharing service like Drobox or Onedrive and keep your files synced. You can drag and drop the Uniden folder into your Documents folder.

I went one step farther and changed my Documents location to my cloud drive, so everything is always current on both my computers.

That's a good way to do what your doing to keep two different sentinels the same. But I think the OP wants to play with sentinel on the second computer so as not hose what he did on the laptop.
Yes.. You can backup the sentinel folders and restore them back. But that can be hard for people not familiar with doing that.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Windows 7 to Windows 10 Transferring Files

I recently purchased a new laptop supporting Windows 10, to use with my Sentinel files. I also have a very old Dell 1545 supporting Windows 7 (very old technology here) it took forever for firmware and updates on Sentinel.

On Windows 7, I supported Sentinel backups by using a flash drive stick than <read to scanner> directly to the stick. Therefore, when the Windows 10 arrived I downloaded the latest version of Sentinel than inserted flash drive and <read from scanner>. All files are intact and working great on Windows 10.

I find the flash stick a quick and easy way to backup my files and also, easy way to keep and transfer multiple Sentinel favorite lists configurations.

Status
Not open for further replies.