Bond Measures for WCCCA P25 in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
It looks like bond measures will be placed on the ballot in May 2016 in both Washington County and Clackamas County so the WCCCA analog system can be upgraded to P25 by 2018-2019.

http://www.clackamas.us/bcc/documents/presentation/20151006apolicy.pdf
14 new sites for just Clackamas County...jeez.

http://www.wccca.com/users/forms/docs/mobilequotes.pdf

Washington County Emergency Communications System Bond Measure

Newberg City Council just approved the purchase of P25 compliant radios:
https://www.newbergoregon.gov/sites/default/files/fileattachments/ordinance/5586/res3233.pdf

KE7JFF

It's 14 sites in Clack, but they are going to put a lot up in the drainage district!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Seems like it is in our best interest to vote against the bond measure. If they don't go P25, they can't encrypt.

Baker845

I don't see the need to go P25. they can upgrade the system and stay in analog. if they want tax payers to pay for new system then they need stay transparent and use no encryption.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the heads up. It'll be more surprising if this doesn't pass. Sounds like P25 is headed our way. Interesting to note they plan on providing an 800 MHz paging system for users (primarily fire), as well as a "transportable back up dispatch solution", which sounds an awful lot like a mobile command / comms. rig for dispatch use.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
I finally got a hit on the Goat Mtn P25 system in Clackamas County. TG 3213 Clackamas County Fire Dispatch. Station 110 doing a radio check with dispatch. Not sure if it was Phase I or II. Just like the Portland 700 system the digital TG is 16 times smaller in number than the analog one.

DickH

Seems like it is in our best interest to vote against the bond measure. If they don't go P25, they can't encrypt.

Oh? There are/were some encrypted Talk Groups on the 800 system. As I recall, one was 8090 or around that number.

KE7JFF

How do you know we are going to run it with Crytpo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
How do you know we are going to run it with Crytpo?

In one of the documents I posted in the first post it mentions "Encryption for Law Enforcement" however it does not mention to what extent encryption will be used. I guess people read that and assumed LE was going encrypted.

In the first document in the first post it mentions that one of the radio types that they looked at was TETRA. Had they chose TETRA it would have meant that everything would be unmonitorable because no scanner can decode TETRA and it is by default encrypted on everything. So I am glad that they chose P25 instead of one of these dumb radio systems like TETRA or OpenSky etc which would have ended our hobby in Washington County, Clackamas County, and Newberg.

Baker845

Its been SOP when they swich to a new P25 system to leave Dispatch Tgs clear and use encryption for tac channels. I don't see the need for Encryption ,but that's where all LE are heading In Portland metro area.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
In light of the large incidents across the country over the last few years where LE was involved, it's probably a safe bet that encryption has been bumped up on the list of desired features for any new system being purchased.

The trick is how they balance encryption and interoperability. But... I'm sure the vendors have a solution for that, too.

Baker845

Must stuff that happens on Law channels or Tgs don't need to be encrypted. Only channels i can see using or needing encryption would be SWAT or SERT.

Raccon

In the first document in the first post it mentions that one of the radio types that they looked at was TETRA. Had they chose TETRA it would have meant that everything would be unmonitorable because no scanner can decode TETRA and it is by default encrypted on everything. So I am glad that they chose P25 instead of one of these dumb radio systems like TETRA or OpenSky etc which would have ended our hobby in Washington County, Clackamas County, and Newberg.
I think it's dumb to claim that TETRA is by default encrypted.

Baker845

I don't think you you did any research, because Oregon scanner was right. TETRA is by default encrypted.Reading the info on TETRA, it has Air Interface Encryption (AIE) and End to End encryption. which means by default TETRA radio systems are Encrypted. Research before saying stuff,it would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.