• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-6110 not talking to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9wkj

i have a TK-6110 that came with a few other rigs in a auction buy
and it seems fine but it wont talk to me!

i made up a Imgur Album for pics and description of what im seeing
kenwood tk-6110 it wont talk to me!!! - Album on Imgur

is this thing locked down in some way that only a reset (which i cant seem to find info on) will cure?
is there some codeplug setting that locks the thing down?
it will go into Panel Test mode (power on while holding MON button)
but wont go into Clone mode or Main program mode via the SCAN or A button

i have all the manuals for this thing
really hoping to get it talking to me so i can do something with it
i was thinking AllStar Link simplex node on 6M
but may i could get it programmed up for someone and trade it for something i could use for
this AllStar idea i have in my head

car5le

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if this is your issue or not, but I have a couple of the 6110 radios and I could not get them to program on a USB cable version or the same Trendnet Serial converter you show in your photo. I had to find a computer and use the actual serial port. I've run into this same issue on nearly all of my Kenwood radios and many older Motorola.

k9wkj

I don't know if this is your issue or not, but I have a couple of the 6110 radios and I could not get them to program on a USB cable version or the same Trendnet Serial converter you show in your photo. I had to find a computer and use the actual serial port. I've run into this same issue on nearly all of my Kenwood radios and many older Motorola.
Uuugggg
Real serial ports are a tough find
The other day I did order a 2 serial port pcmcia card for the lappy
I hope that works
As I'm really not wanting to add a pcie serial card to one of the desktops,then having to install XP on it (Linux is for real computers and windows is for old lappies that program radios and satellite receivers)
Everything I've ever done with that trendnet USB dongle has worked fine, from moto Spectra's to baofengs to pansat receivers
I'll keep my fingers crossed

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

bharvey2

I notice that you are working with COM2. Are you sure that the USB/Serial adapter is set to COM2 ? Look at your Windows Device Manager to check. I use an old laptop with Win98, no serial port and a USB to Serial adapter for a number of old radios including Kenwood. Sometimes if I switch which adapter I use, it will pick a new serial port and mess me up. I have to go in manually and select which one to use.

k9wkj

I notice that you are working with COM2. Are you sure that the USB/Serial adapter is set to COM2 ?

all of that info is in the album i posted in the first link
it shows all the software and what its doing

im a old hand at this serial port stuff
but i dont have any old appendages in the Kenwood game
heck ive never even had a KW ham rig

jim202

all of that info is in the album i posted in the first link
it shows all the software and what its doing

im a old hand at this serial port stuff
but i dont have any old appendages in the Kenwood game
heck ive never even had a KW ham rig

Let me ask a simple question at this point. If your using COM2 on the computer, have you set the Kenwood software to use the COM2 port when it tries to talk with the radio?

bharvey2

I've used the my same setup with my HAM and commercial rigs. - No problem. I noticed your serialmon window shows 2400 8N2, your COM2 shows 1200 8N1. Maybe switch Stop bits to 2 and or adjust flow control to Hardware ? I have to admit, I'm grasping at straws. BTW, what area are you in, I have a number of the adapters that I use. You could have one if it was possible to get it to you.

k9wkj

Let me ask a simple question at this point. If your using COM2 on the computer, have you set the Kenwood software to use the COM2 port when it tries to talk with the radio?

and again i refer to the kenwood tk-6110 it wont talk to me!!! - Album on Imgur with all the pics and descriptions
its all there
there are 14 pics in the album all with text
if you dont see them all just click the link at the bottom of the last pic where it says "Load remaining 4 images"

bharvey2

Well, that should do it if anything will. My lastest laptop, with Win 8, doesn't even have a PCMCIA slot. Seems as the manufacturers of late don't give much thought to any connectivity other that USB.

Good Luck!

k9wkj

My lastest laptop, with Win 8, doesn't even have a PCMCIA slot.

wonder if a fella could find a old but still alive ToughBook
htiCqsk.png

or similar
they are bombproof and have real serial ports
IZ8vLef.jpg

all the money ive spent fouling around with this i could have bought one! or 3!

bharvey2

I remember wanting one of those when they came out. I use my laptop primarily for "out in the field" type activities like radio and PLC programming or when I'm working on an someone else's computer or network.

kmacinct

It looks like the win version makes a handshake (The Radio goes into PC mode), so you are talking to it....

Might sound strange, but when using the DOS version, try [ALT]+[ENTER] making the DOS program full screen - or actually booting up in DOS mode and navigating to the program thru DOS prompts. (Move your KPG program to a high level folder - AKA C:/KENWOOD/KPGxxx)

My guess would be a version conflict....

k9wkj

It looks like the win version makes a handshake (The Radio goes into PC mode), so you are talking to it....
My guess would be a version conflict....

yup thats still on the burner

the dos program talks to it just like the windows one does

and i was thinking of dual booting he lappy with a dos 7.* install

i know folks have been using DosBox under XP to talk to finicky Moto radios
may i could try that route

just so much work to talk to a radio they still make!!!

k9wkj

Great News Everyone !

the PC Card serial thing works a treat
after a driver install and a san check on the port settings
I was readin and a writin to that tk-6110!
then i used it on the Astro Spectra worked great there as well
so unless i have to no more usb thingies for me

now comes the part im not sure about
putting it on 6m .....

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Great News Everyone !

the PC Card serial thing works a treat
after a driver install and a san check on the port settings
I was readin and a writin to that tk-6110!
then i used it on the Astro Spectra worked great there as well
so unless i have to no more usb thingies for me

now comes the part im not sure about
putting it on 6m .....
There is a good write up on converting a 6110 (google fu required).

I use a Brainboxes VX-001 PCMIA. The slot is not popular on consumer grade laptops but if almost standard on business class.

I've noticed they can be a little picky with Astro 25 Depot but has worked with every CPS I've tried it on.

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.