2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4PHI

Good morning,
I wanted to share a few pictures of my 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Build.

As of right now, my equipment is as followed..

Radios:
Kenwood TM-281A VHF Radio
Cobra PRO 505XL CB Radio

Antennas:
Comet SBB-1 Dual Band Antenna on Comet Mag Mount
Tram 503-HC CB Antenna

I am sort of limited in antenna height because I park in a parking deck, so it is not the optimal setup for a CB, however, I only really have it for off-roading and/or close encounters with another CB'er.

I plan on replacing the Kenwood TM-281A with a Kenwood TM-V71A within the next year or so, but since I just received my Technician ticket, I'm starting out small and working my way up. I also plan on getting a Baofeng HT to keep in the Jeep for dual band purposes, and will more than likely get a second Comet SBB-1 antenna and mount for that.

Attachments

• CB Radio.jpg
    CB Radio.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 5,226
  • CB Antennas.jpg
    CB Antennas.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 5,829
  • HAM Radio.jpg
    HAM Radio.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 6,187
  • HAM Antennas.jpg
    HAM Antennas.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 4,017

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
That's a nice inside. I haven't looked in the KL (die hard XJ fan here). I ran a fender mount for CB on my XJ. It has a VHF whip (sprung) that I'm probably going to replace with a Sti-Co flexiwhip for the current (soon to be replaced) radio in it. Got to swap coaxes around though.

W4PHI

I went with the KL Trailhawk over the JK due to the fact that I drive about 35,000 miles per year, and the KL is much smoother on the highway with the ability to go off-road as well.

K9EMD

Premium Subscriber
Very nice so far, I was going to get a Cherokee Sport 4wd, but I am a little concerned about first year model runs so I went with a Patriot instead still kicking myself about it. If I get another Jeep as long as they have Trailhawk packages I will get something with the Trailhawk package.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Consider installing an NMO mount center rooftop. Then get the SBB-2 NMO. Works great for both 2M and 70cm, and you have the option of quickly unscrewing the SBB-1 and putting something larger on. I alternate mine with a Maldol EX-510 which lets me cover 6M, 2M, and 70cm with my TH-9800 quad bander.

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

I would like to install an NMO mount but where are the roof ribs and other obstructions in the later Jeep Cherokee models? 2012 Liberty also?

Drop the head liner/overhead console a bit and look. That is what I always do...

W4PHI

I don't plan on doing any NMO mounts on this vehicle as I don't keep my vehicles for more than about 2-3 years, and I don't want to reduce my trade-in value due to holes in the roof when the time comes. I plan on buying a Tahoe or Explorer next, and will do NMO mounts once I aquire that as I will be looking into police trade-ins.

W4PHI

Consider installing an NMO mount center rooftop. Then get the SBB-2 NMO. Works great for both 2M and 70cm, and you have the option of quickly unscrewing the SBB-1 and putting something larger on. I alternate mine with a Maldol EX-510 which lets me cover 6M, 2M, and 70cm with my TH-9800 quad bander.

Is the SBB-2 better than the SBB-1? I got the SBB-1 as a recommendation from someone that had one, however the SBB-2 will still clear the parking deck.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I just looked and I actually have an SBB-1 not an SBB-2. The SBB-2 has slightly better gain than the SBB-1, so yes it should be a better performer... and it's only 2 inches longer than the SBB-1. But when I looked at the pics of both I remembered why I didn't get the SBB-2: my antenna does not clear the top sill of my garage door and smacks into it every time in / out of the garage. And the SBB-1 is fine... it just flexes on through. But I didn't want to put an SBB-2's center coil through the punishment of constantly whacking the door sill.

jim202

I don't plan on doing any NMO mounts on this vehicle as I don't keep my vehicles for more than about 2-3 years, and I don't want to reduce my trade-in value due to holes in the roof when the time comes. I plan on buying a Tahoe or Explorer next, and will do NMO mounts once I aquire that as I will be looking into police trade-ins.

Did you ask the dealer about trade in value with the mounts on the roof? i have always found that they don't care as long as the roof doesn't leak? Try asking them and see what they say. Don't rely on the sales person, but get a manager to talk with you. The sales people will tell you anything to make you happy.

On the use of mag mounts, you will find the paint will become micro abraded as time goes on. Seems the dust in the air carries just enough crud that it damages the paint. If you leave the mag mount in the same place for a month or so, when you pull it off, you will see the paint has been damaged.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
No Value Depreciation Using NMO Mounts

I've had cars for over 45 years with multiple NMO mounts. I have NEVER had ANY depreciation in value with the mounts left on the my vehicles. As a matter of fact, the last five vehicles I've owned (with the exception of one which was totaled in a wreck - not my fault) have had zero issues regarding the roof and trunk mounted NMO sets. One time, I removed the mounts and utilized rubber hole plugs, and that brought more attention, so I just leave 'em.

I know several hams who have used magnetic mounts (which are a compromise anyway) and they have severely damaged the paint where they were placed. I strongly dislike them because of that, along with getting the coaxial cable pinched in doors and windows, and the overall poor performance of magnetic mounted antennas. They are fine for use on a vehicle rented for a trip or other very short-term utilization, or mounted on a cookie sheet for a temporary base set-up in a hotel room.

Soapbox mode toggled off. Have a pleasant Thanksgiving.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I've left rain caps on the mounts, and a couple of times just the mounts. never questioned by a dealer.

I do not have first hand experience with this but there have been several people report this same thing - that it is not an issue at all, as long as they were done right and the coax is routed out of sight inside the vehicle. I have even heard a couple of people report that when they got ready to sell their vehicle they sold it to a fellow ham or someone who was a volunteer firefighter and needed to run antennas on their vehicle. Obviously this wouldn't help in a lease situation but it is comforting to know that many have had no problems with having an NMO mount or two on the vehicle.

Project25_MASTR

Thanks guys. Anyone have experience with any PL-259 mounts? My SBB-1 antenna uses a PL-259 connector.

Buy an antenna with a NMO mount (in my experience NMO-UHF adapters are hit or miss). PL-259 has no weather proofing. N has a single weather proofing gasket. NMO has 2-3 depending on manufacturer...there is a reason it has been the defacto standard for nearly 50 years.

Also, you mentioned off road use in one of your posts...ever seen the paint damage caused by a mag mount antenna when it is either knocked off the roof by a branch or thrown off due to a rough road? You kick your self for not going NMO.

W4PHI

Alright, well that's a bummer. I've liked by SBB-1 thus far, and it seems pretty durable, but I understand the weather proofing need.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
NMO mounts give you a lot more flexibility. A properly installed one will give you no issues. Like the others, I've installed a lot of these over the years and sold off vehicles without issues. I've installed others on leased vehicles and they were turned in at the end of their leases without any penalties.

Most used cars end up going to auction, and the dealers don't care.

I think you'll also find that once you go to an NMO mount, you'll be able to try some different antennas. The hobby grade antennas are one thing, but there are much better commercial grade antennas available.

Properly installed NMO antennas will look a lot better on that vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.