• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P25 Phase II and RPM versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
P25 Phase II is rolling out in my area and I'm trying to figure out how to proceed here...

First, I currently have a P7200 without Phase II. I would need to get the firmware updated but I will have to send it off as I have RPM 9. The question is once it is upgraded, will this unit be able to be programmed for P25 Phase II via RPM 9? Or do I have to upgrade RPM too?

Second, I might have the opportunity to get a P5500 already with Phase II. Once I get this radio, same question raised above. Can I contumely to use RPM 9 or do I have to upgrade RPM?

Ultimately, I just need a radio with EDACS Provoice and P25 Phase I & II trunking and would like to continue to program it with RPM 9, if possible. I also heard the newer RPM requires system keys even if programming the radio to not-affiliate. Any ideas Harris gurus?

Thanks in advance.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
It's my understanding that the Phase II checkbox was implemented in RPM10 to identify the radio as a Ph2 capable radio. But sine you are not affiliating the radio to the system, it shouldn't really matter. The control channel will tell the radio what mode its operating in, so I don't know if RPM versions would matter to be honest. You will need XGP R2A26 in that radio to get Phase 2 tho. I'm not sure if that requires RPM10 but they were released to be used with each other. I guess the short answer is, I don't know for sure. I would say "yes" with about 75% confidence.

Yes, there are a handful of P25 systems out there that require a system key license from Harris to put into a personality. If you try to populate the WACN/SID it will give an error and pop up the license dialog box. I have a list somewhere with the affected systems.

DisasterGuy

Yes, you will need to upgrade RPM. When you go to the current version of RPM you will need a WACN license for any P25 system you wish to program. To obtain the license you will complete a form that must be signed by the system manager and return it to TAC whom will associate the WACN privilege with your RPM license.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I believe RPM 10 is the version you want to try to get. It doesn't require the system keys, but does have the TDMA checkbox. Anything less won't work, anything more is a challenge to make work due to the key restrictions.

Yeah, the problem is finding RPM 10. My go-to shop doesn't have it. Got some homework to do.

Thanks.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
RPM 10 uses system keys, try creating a personality with the Tennessee TACN or Minnesota ARMER system in it.

The big difference in 10 and 12 is that 10 was default ALLOW with only a few systems denied, RPM 12 is default DENY and you need a license for every network you want to program.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
RPM R10B07 was the very first released revision of RPM to support Phase-2.

It also required a firmware upgrade to XGP R02a26 (or later) to activate the Phase-2 functions in R10b07 RPM.

It is not a single step upgrade.

Other posters are correct. R10B07 of RPM does not require a individual SYSTEM KEY for each P-25 trunked system.

Status
Not open for further replies.