• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

800 trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolrich55

How come on a system I try to monitor, I can't because apparently I'm out of range for the CC's but I can pick up the VC's just fine? Is that normal for some systems?

a417

U+0000
are you sure it's a range issue for your inability to monitor? What systems in the state are you trying to pick up?

R

retiredmich

Do you have the CC's turned on ? What type of scanner do you have ?

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
Do your CC's rotate? Mine change about once every 24 hours. Some come in strong while others are weak. Same with the voice channels. Depend which VC is picked as to how clear it comes in. I am only 3.5 miles from the tower.

coolrich55

I have a psr500. I'm trying to monitor the Massachusetts state police system, Boston site. When I hit analyze and go through the frequencies I get nothing from the CC's but hear audio over the VC's. All the other sites I monitor work fine. I asked this question on the Mass forum and someone told me I'm out of range of the control channel. I just found it odd that I can pick up transmissions on the voice channels.

ecps92

Which Boston Site (Freq and Zone Pls) as there are
Zone 1, Zone 5, the 700 Overlay and a few others

Also, From WHERE are you trying to listen to it ? As your Profile says CT

I have a psr500. I'm trying to monitor the Massachusetts state police system, Boston site. When I hit analyze and go through the frequencies I get nothing from the CC's but hear audio over the VC's. All the other sites I monitor work fine. I asked this question on the Mass forum and someone told me I'm out of range of the control channel. I just found it odd that I can pick up transmissions on the voice channels.

coolrich55

When I'm in Rhode Island I'm able to listen to them. Zone 5 I can receive no problem. It's zone 1 I'm having issues with. The BFD is what I like listening to and for the past few years I have been able to on the simulcast or patch on zone 1. 49200 is the ID. But this past year from the same location, Cranston on a hill, I get nothing from the CC's anymore. In the past it wasn't the best signal but was around 60-70% which was enough. Like I said when I scroll through the VC's I'm hearing BFD transmissions and even shows me the ID.

ecps92

Well First Zone 1 is designed to cover Metro Boston (think roughly inside of Rte-128 Only)
so, don't expect to even hear it South of Norwood MA

Zone 5 is more wide area and is handled by 9+ Sites, if you are in RI you are hearing (Most likely) Wrentham

Your better off using a UHF Beam (470-512) and trying Boston Fire on the 483 Mhz channels

When I'm in Rhode Island I'm able to listen to them. Zone 5 I can receive no problem. It's zone 1 I'm having issues with. The BFD is what I like listening to and for the past few years I have been able to on the simulcast or patch on zone 1. 49200 is the ID. But this past year from the same location, Cranston on a hill, I get nothing from the CC's anymore. In the past it wasn't the best signal but was around 60-70% which was enough. Like I said when I scroll through the VC's I'm hearing BFD transmissions and even shows me the ID.

coolrich55

I have no option for a different antenna. Just using a RS 800mhz. What I did yesterday when I was in RI, I programmed in the voice channels in conventional mode and scanned them. I was actually able to monitor the 4 alarm fire in Boston by doing this. It's not ideal but better than nothing. And it's definitely zone 1 that I was picking up. Like I said, voice channels come in fine, nothing from the control channels.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Are you importing from RR or are you putting in the data by hand?
You have to import sites and talk groups both to hear trunking systems.
If you can hear the Voice Channels there is no reason you should not hear the Control Channels.

ecps92

As said, Zone 1 was designed for Metro Boston, consider yourself lucky to even get the Voice channels that far away from a Zone 1 tower site
And even Zone 1 users have issues with coverage, which is why they have begun implementing the 700 Mhz overlay

I have no option for a different antenna. Just using a RS 800mhz. What I did yesterday when I was in RI, I programmed in the voice channels in conventional mode and scanned them. I was actually able to monitor the 4 alarm fire in Boston by doing this. It's not ideal but better than nothing. And it's definitely zone 1 that I was picking up. Like I said, voice channels come in fine, nothing from the control channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.