BLM CDD Admin update

Status
Not open for further replies.

f40ph

Feed Provider
They had a PL tone on there. I asked it to be removed. Each BLM CDD site has a different PL tone being sent on the output side. In contrast, the USFS, uses a common output tone at each repeater and that can safely be programmed into a scanner and you won't miss anything.

ecps92

So then, each Site should be listed with the Output PL as they are Unique
Not forcing Scanner users to go CSQ :(

They had a PL tone on there. I asked it to be removed. Each BLM CDD site has a different PL tone being sent on the output side. In contrast, the USFS, uses a common output tone at each repeater and that can safely be programmed into a scanner and you won't miss anything.

f40ph

Feed Provider
Yep. If users don't want CSQ that's the alternative. I don't have each site's info but will work on getting the ones I can actually hear.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
So then, each Site should be listed with the Output PL as they are Unique
Not forcing Scanner users to go CSQ :(

I don't think that's a realistic expectation. Especially in the case of large systems like CAL FIRE, BLM and USFS, where the user radios themselves are programmed with a single channel repeater input/output frequency and up to 16 user selectable input tones. There is no guarantee the tone will even be repeated on the output frequency (this seems to vary by system and even sometimes by repeater), and the end user themselves have to listen to that channel in CSQ. The exception to this rule is if all repeaters are programmed to transmit a common tone on their output frequency (CAL FIRE does this on their command channels and most of the locals now, for example).

Also DB admins are actually explicitly told not to track repeater input tones in the DB. Users wishing to put this information in the database (which we can't do) often make a wiki entry instead.

Unfortunately not everybody will agree on how the DB is setup, which is why we have the DB admin handbook to provide guidance for situations like this so admins don't do stuff inconsistently. In this case I think CSQ is the proper way to program the system, because the BK/Kenwood radios have one CDD Admin channel programmed CSQ, with a Tone button and 16 user selectable input tones.

ecps92

Yes, I understand the input tone issue, however with this system the PL is unique to each Repeater (Output) not just the input

Quite familiar with the MPL / User tone select , however many forests do seem to be moving to a Common PL Output for the Repeaters which does help in narrowing down who we are hearing.

I don't think that's a realistic expectation. Especially in the case of large systems like CAL FIRE, BLM and USFS, where the user radios themselves are programmed with a single channel repeater input/output frequency and up to 16 user selectable input tones. There is no guarantee the tone will even be repeated on the output frequency (this seems to vary by system and even sometimes by repeater), and the end user themselves have to listen to that channel in CSQ. The exception to this rule is if all repeaters are programmed to transmit a common tone on their output frequency (CAL FIRE does this on their command channels and most of the locals now, for example).

Also DB admins are actually explicitly told not to track repeater input tones in the DB. Users wishing to put this information in the database (which we can't do) often make a wiki entry instead.

Unfortunately not everybody will agree on how the DB is setup, which is why we have the DB admin handbook to provide guidance for situations like this so admins don't do stuff inconsistently. In this case I think CSQ is the proper way to program the system, because the BK/Kenwood radios have one CDD Admin channel programmed CSQ, with a Tone button and 16 user selectable input tones.

scottyhetzel

Yes, I understand the input tone issue, however with this system the PL is unique to each Repeater (Output) not just the input

Quite familiar with the MPL / User tone select , however many forests do seem to be moving to a Common PL Output for the Repeaters which does help in narrowing down who we are hearing.

+1 agree

SCPD

QRT

One rule does not fit all the BLM and USFS nets in the state or around the country when it comes to output tones. Common output tones for entire USFS National Forest and BLM District radio systems exist in California as do retransmission of the input tone on the repeater output frequency. In my area the Inyo NF transmits the input tone on the output frequency while BLM Bishop Field Office radio system has one common tone for all the repeaters on the net. To the north the Toiyabe National Forest uses a common output tone for its repeaters.

A common output tone is likely more common on BLM systems and are more likely found on USFS radio systems nationwide. I prefer those that retransmit the input tone as programming a frequency with tone search allows an instant display of what repeater is transmitting. Instant if all the tones and their associated repeaters are memorized.

I'm in a situation where there is an unknown source of interference on the Inyo NF nets, that is confined to a small area around my home. Given that there is not a common output tone, I'm forced to program each repeater into separate channels and apply tone squelch to each. This eats up some additional memory and increases scan time, but I have no choice. In this case I wish a common tone existed. It's a good thing I live in a sparsely populated area so that these are not huge issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.