New Highway Helpers in CR/IC Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Anybody seen the trucks in person? Just curious what radio system they are going to use. These are not operated by the state but by a tow truck firm from WI.

Tim

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Don't know if its relevant or not, but the Des Moines Highway Helper uses an IDOT P25 repeater frequency. I guess you could check the local repeaters there to see if they are jumping on that.

timkilbride

Database Admin
That was my first guess but thought I would throw it out on here. Tomorrow should be a good day for trying to hear them.

Tim

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Gee I just saw a local news segment about the new service in Iowa City / Cedar Rapids. I was going post a question but you guys beat me to it.

rmcgowan

Premium Subscriber
Highway Helpers in CR/IC area

Greetings,
Ive been hearing traffic on 151.340 Mhz lately, and judging by the conversations on that frequency, this appears to be the radio frequency they are using. It is a P25 system that uses a NAC of 52.. Would like to add that 151.430 appears to be an Iowa D.O.T licensed frequency as well

timkilbride

Database Admin
I forgot all about those MVE repeaters. I did hear some traffic and it sounds like they have their own dispatcher separate from the State Patrol. Now to get off topic, is there any other traffic on these MVE repeaters?

Tim

rmcgowan

Premium Subscriber
Other traffic on MVE repeaters

The only other MVE frequency i have heard in use is 155.970, and it is a rare occasion to hear anyone on it, I think i have heard someone on it maybe 5 times in the past 3 years or so.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
151.400 in Scott County was busy with data transmissions. But I have not monitored it for a long time. Someone had heard two units on it once but that was like six - seven years ago. I think it was in P25 mode.

timkilbride

Database Admin
151.400 in Scott County was busy with data transmissions. But I have not monitored it for a long time. Someone had heard two units on it once but that was like six - seven years ago. I think it was in P25 mode.

I recall seeing tons of data when they first deployed whatever system this is for. I then took the 3 frequencies out of the radio's. In recent weeks I have started monitoring them again. I logged one unit trying to call for another one a few different times on 151.400 NAC 006. No idea where the transmission was coming from. May have even been from out of state as I can receive MO, IL, WI, and MN once the sun goes down.

Tim

timkilbride

Database Admin
Finally got some more traffic on 151.400 NAC 006. It is highway helper stuff. May have a networked repeater system going on here?

Tim

timkilbride

Database Admin
Yes, and even down into 218 for a few miles. They cover I-80 as well out West to Tiffin and East through Iowa City.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.