220 Mobile radios question

Status
Not open for further replies.

clovisb31

I need a question answered by owners of various 220 mhz mobile rigs.

The three rigs in question are Alinco DR-235T
Jetstream JT222M
TYT TH-9000D

The question I need answered is which radios have the DTMF A,B,C,D capability from the MICROPHONE touch tone pad ?

I know the ALINCO does as it is clearly visible from pictures.

I need to know if the Jetstream or the TYT rigs can send DTMF tones A,B,C,D directly from the TT pad and not some memory scheme pre-programmed in the radio. The microphones on these rig's, as pictured, do not clearly show the ABCD digits on the microphone TTpad.

If you own one of the Jetstream or TYT rigs, can you tell me if the ABCD tones can be sent from the microphone?

Thank in advance for your help.

Shane KE6JZ

Weaksignal

I own an older Jetstream, JT220M and one may program DTMF using the mic. Check out eHam.net Reviews The Alinco DR-235T receives higher praise and less criticism than the Jetstream.

jhooten

The screen of my jt220 went out after about 6 months. I'm told it is a common issue with them. The tyt9000 has been a much better radio. If memory serves they both have 16 key touch tone mics.

clovisb31

220 radios DTMF capability

Thanks for the replies,

I also have the first generation Jetstream 220M which received several bad reviews. I bought mine before all the bad reviews. It works fine and I have had no issues as experienced by the negative reviews. However, this model has been replaced by the Jetstream 222M and I can't tell from pictures if it has the ABCD tones on the microphone. (The single purpose of this thread).

I need an additional 220 mobile and really like the upcoming Bridgecom 220 mobile, however I was told by Bridgecom personnel that it will not be available until after the first of 2016. Which probably means next spring. And then, when it DOES hit the streets, you need to wait at least 6 months for the "first adopters" to run it through it's paces and post reviews. So, I would be into next Fall theoretically.

I need a 220 rig with CONFIRMED ABCD functions on the Mic.. I know about Alinco already, now how about the TYT and NEW model Jetstream?

KE6JZ

16b

Premium Subscriber
I have a TH-9000 on 220 at home; I can check for ABCD functionality later this evening if somebody doesn't beat me to it. Send me a PM if I forget.

clovisb31

TYT DTMF tones

Thanks Jerry,

Maybe when your Suburban gets back from the shop you can check this ABCD function and post it up here?

Shane KE6JZ

16b

Premium Subscriber
I confirmed that my TYT radio does have ABCD on the DTMF pad. The fourth column of buttons are not labeled ABCD, but the radio does indeed send tones when I hit those keys.

clovisb31

Thanks "SixteenBee" !!

That's what I needed to know. I wonder if that row actually sends ABCD or random non-standard DTMF tones. Some of the ChiCom radios will send DTMF tones but they are not decoded properly at the repeater as they are not standard tones or the internal DTMF generator in the Mic or radio has too much "twist" on the tones. Only one way to know for sure on the quality of the tones though...send the ABCD commands to a repeater that has a TT Pad test function. But at least we know the TYT rig sends something out with the buttons on that row.

Thanks again !

Ke6jz

clovisb31

According to this: JETSTREAM JT-222M , JETSTREAM JT222M R&L Electronics

the Jetstream does indeed have DTMF on the microphone.

Well, yes it does, but what I am trying to confirm is if it has ABCD touchtone capability also. Almost all the 220 rigs have DTMF tones 1-0, # and *star...but some DO NOT have the ABCD tones specifically called out on the microphone so unless you have a need for these tones (I do ) then most Ham's never know if their rigs can even send them. This is the problem. In the past the rigs like the Alinco and Jetstream JT220 had the ABCD buttons labled on the 4th row. Now, the newer rigs such as TYT and Jetstream have a 4th row, but the ABCD buttons are NOT labled as such...they are given OTHER labels such as Memory/VFO/Call channel, etc. Now these buttons may IN FACT send DTMF tones ABCD when the PTT/transmit button is pushed but the specs for the radios do not indicate as such. They don't say one way or another.

I just don't want to spend $200 for a new 220 rig that only sends DTMF tones 1-0 # and star. It would be worthless to me in controlling various repeater system functions.

So, this is the sole reason for this post.

Thanks all, who have responded. if anybody can send the ABCD row up to a repeater with a Touch tone pad read back test on a repeater this would confirm for sure.

73's

Ke6jz

Status
Not open for further replies.